Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

black brake rotors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaX 07

Reaction score
I'd be willing to have a brake off just to see... Slotted/drill and high end pads vs bbk! I bet its less than 5 foot at 60 mph. And I have yet to have fade or over heating brakes on my current setup.

Sorry man but I don't see your brake set up competing with a 4 piston, 330mm BBK. I'm betting there's a 10+ foot difference from 60-0, and not only the distance but the BBK will give you a much stiffer pedal and also the fade will be much less.

ntinhri

Reaction score
I have had enough brake fade for both of us Steve-O. I have new brakes on the way and im stoked about stopping better.

you on stock rotors?

Sorry man but I don't see your brake set up competing with a 4 piston, 330mm BBK. I'm betting there's a 10+ foot difference from 60-0, and not only the distance but the BBK will give you a much stiffer pedal and also the fade will be much less.

Wish there was a truck close cause I would take that bet.. If I can engage my ABS how does brakes really help? at that point its about the tires..... Also has you every seen how small the pads are on a stock 4 wheel disk brake set up? the rears are typically VERY small!!!

you also have a lighter truck than most. I would take you on that bet if someone with a very similar weighted truck went against you on bbk's

I bet my truck slows faster than a stock X

we should have a braking deceleration video wars thread, haha

I bet you someone with bigger heavier tires can stop even faster... I will agree to disagree, I dont think for the money the BBK is worth the difference in performance.........

Last edited:

shaX 07

Reaction score
you on stock rotors?

Wish there was a truck close cause I would take that bet.. If I can engage my ABS how does brakes really help? at that point its about the tires..... Also has you every seen how small the pads are on a stock 4 wheel disk brake set up? the rears are typically VERY small!!!

I bet you someone with bigger heavier tires can stop even faster... I will agree to disagree, I dont think for the money the BBK is worth the difference in performance.........

I have the brakeperformance.com slotted rotors with bendix ceramic pads. After break in, I noticed a good improvement over stock but I don't feel that it is enough performance. If I was ever going to boost my truck, I wouldn't do so until after getting a BBK, and honestly I don't see why people would spend upwards of $5-7k on S/C's with X1, supporting bolt ons, but still be unwilling to fork over $1,800 for a BBK, to properly be able to slow the truck down.

Again, comparing a 1 piston caliper with 10" disc rotors to a 4 piston caliper on a 13+" rotor, I can't even believe that they would be close to the same in performance.

Also, I have no interest in converting my rear brakes to disc, though I would prefer it, that to me is not worth the $, but I do feel that a front BBK is worth the coin.

Murderface

Reaction score
I don't see why people would spend upwards of $5-7k on S/C's with X1, supporting bolt ons, but still be unwilling to fork over $1,800 for a BBK, to properly be able to slow the truck

People like me and Steve who spend thousands on making our truck faster probably already know how to drive, that's why we didn't wast our money on a BBK from TRd.
Inexperience=crash even with a BBK
Experience=knowing when and where to push the limits or avoid accidents.

With that being said I bet given the right accident, a BBK won't save ur ass so what's the point? To look good?

Also ur newer rotors and ceramic pads don't work too well because of the ceramic pads. If u knew anything about brakes u woulda opted for better pads:top:

shaX 07

Reaction score
People like me and Steve who spend thousands on making our truck faster probably already know how to drive, that's why we didn't wast our money on a BBK from TRd.
Inexperience=crash even with a BBK
Experience=knowing when and where to push the limits or avoid accidents.

With that being said I bet given the right accident, a BBK won't save ur ass so what's the point? To look good?

Also ur newer rotors and ceramic pads don't work too well because of the ceramic pads. If u knew anything about brakes u woulda opted for better pads:top:

How exactly does experience help you when some 80 year old woman pulls out directly in front of you from a side street, and you have maybe 50 or less feet to stop? Sorry but experience isn't going to help you avoid all the morons that are out on the road today.

That's great that you're willing to half ass in modding your truck, that's certainly your god given right and the choice that works best for you, however I wouldn't dump $10k into my truck to make it fast, and have it stop worse than a stock Camry or Corolla.

Please enlighten me on what pads are better for performance than, performance ceramic pads? Not sure what you know about brakes but doesn't seem like much to me.

blastap

Reaction score
Steve im on slotted/dimpled rotors and new pads.

Murderface

Reaction score
I don't stop when someone pulls out in front of me, I go around:top:

Better do some research on pads before u try to call me out on brakes buddy

Emanon

Reaction score
How exactly does experience help you when some 80 year old woman pulls out directly in front of you from a side street, and you have maybe 50 or less feet to stop? Sorry but experience isn't going to help you avoid all the morons that are out on the road today.

That's great that you're willing to half ass in modding your truck, that's certainly your god given right and the choice that works best for you, however I wouldn't dump $10k into my truck to make it fast, and have it stop worse than a stock Camry or Corolla.

Please enlighten me on what pads are better for performance than, performance ceramic pads? Not sure what you know about brakes but doesn't seem like much to me.

Agree. OE brakes suck. Period.

They heat up and fade way too damn quick. Does not matter how good of a driver you are it happens and cannot be avoided. Me I'd rather know that when I slam on the brakes my truck stops and stops hard. I do not live on a race track or 1/4" drag strip. I live in a city old folks love to flock to come winter time cause it is warm.

I personally will not increase the HP of my 2 ton truck by 40%+ without first upgrading brakes. Even if I never get around to adding a SC I will be more comfortable in the knowledge that my truck will stop on a dime and maybe gimme some change back.

shaX 07

Reaction score
Agree. OE brakes suck. Period.

They heat up and fade way too damn quick. Does not matter how good of a driver you are it happens and cannot be avoided. Me I'd rather know that when I slam on the brakes my truck stops and stops hard. I do not live on a race track or 1/4" drag strip. I live in a city old folks love to flock to come winter time cause it is warm.

I personally will not increase the HP of my 2 ton truck by 40%+ without first upgrading brakes. Even if I never get around to adding a SC I will be more comfortable in the knowledge that my truck will stop on a dime and maybe gimme some change back.

This :top: :top: :top:

I don't stop when someone pulls out in front of me, I go around:top:

Better do some research on pads before u try to call me out on brakes buddy

Hope you know that your TRD brake pads are also ceramic :laugh:

Last edited:

jubjub

Reaction score
ugh never thought my question about the black brakes would turn into a pissing match about brake pads, and how superior the BBK is over the stock brakes.....

well on a positive note i plan to put in the brakes this friday night after work...hopefully be good to go...

on a side note old saying i have is...if you have the "Go" (horse power) then you need the "Whoa" (brakes).......i dont think people understand how much of a difference the BBK could be on my old fiero i went from the 9.75" solid rotors to the BBK 13" vented/slotted/crossdrilled....the difference was insane....i ended up getting burns from the seat belt..

Murderface

Reaction score
Hope you know that your TRD brake pads are also ceramic :laugh:

I don't even own TrD brake pads u dummy nor will I. There's a trade off with any brake pad u get and the trade off when getting Ceramic pads is less stopping(there's a reason why there less brake dust with ceramic pads). And like I mentioned before, there's NO such thing as " Performence " ceramic brake pads, they may call them "performance" but it doesn't mean that they are performance.
Trying to call me out on not knowing anything about brakes is just ridiculous......hope to see u at XFest in September:top:

TahoesHateMe

Reaction score
For those that say there brakes are as good as a BBK. Heres my challenge. Go do laps for 20 minutes on a road corse and tell me how many times it felt like it didn't want to slow for a corner. I know the BBKs didn't miss a beat at Vegas Motorspeedway classic course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom