Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Black Hills fires

kcidmil

Reaction score
I don't want to detract from the tragedy in Aurora CO, but I also want to bring to light something that is important to me. The drought has gotten real bad, and fires are springing up everywhere. And for those who live in the Mid-west and western states they know how serious it has gotten. The southwestern corner of South Dakota has gotten hit real bad this year, 3 fires in the last month alone and they're evacuating a town this time around. So please keep them in your thoughts or prayers (as your belief dictates).

To give an idea how crazy it has gotten, last weekend due to a storm there was 15 fires started in one night in the Black Hills region. Many were contained, but another has spread to 7000 acres so far. I was there for vacation in the beginning of July and they were fighting 3 fires in South Dakota, and 2 in Wyoming. Not to mention the Colorado blaze.

For those who have driven in a hill/mountain region and know how much fun a nice paved curved road can be. My views that enjoyed so much as I cruised through the Hills (be it at 45 or 80) is being burnt. There is a lot of paved roads in the Black Hills that give some spectacular views. I posted a picture so you can see what is disappearing.

http://rapidcityjournal.com/fire/

60563-050-78DAC79C.jpg

nick_gz1

Reaction score
Damn that's crazy, that's a lot of fires. Keep em in my prayers

o5oldblue

Reaction score
There is some pretty nice scenery out there. It is a shame that it is going up in flames. Nice pic

Murderface

Reaction score
I have a bunch of family in Ft Collins Colorado and they say the wildfires are insane! Can't even have the windows open in the house they're that bad

kcidmil

Reaction score
When I was in Rapid City on vacation we went over to a friends house for dinner. We were leaving and I looked on the hood of our Xterra and saw ash scattered across it. Asked the wife if she was outside smoking (our friend has bad allergies) but she left her cigarettes at her parents house. Took a look on top of the Xterra and there was ash all of it there too. It all came from the Oil Creek fire near Newcastle WY about 80 miles to the west. I can only imagine what it was like for the people in Newcastle and Ft Collins.

elynor_v

Reaction score
Fires are soooooo destructive! It's such beautiful land. :frown:
Will def keep everyone fighting/affected by these fires in my thoughts and prayers.

Top Bottom