Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Black Sand Pearl Tinted Tail Lights

music_man185

Reaction score
i am getting ready to take my tails to a body shop to get them sprayed. but at the last minute, i was wondering what it would look like to have them sprayed with black sand pearl instead of plain black to match the truck better. anyone tried this or know if it would work? would the bsp paint make it harder for the light to shine through?

brokenvendetta

Reaction score
i am getting ready to take my tails to a body shop to get them sprayed. but at the last minute, i was wondering what it would look like to have them sprayed with black sand pearl instead of plain black to match the truck better. anyone tried this or know if it would work? would the bsp paint make it harder for the light to shine through?

You can do it that way, but you're better off using a tint spray.

D-Bo

Reaction score
that seems to defeat the purpose of tinting them. when you tint you windows its a film not paint. tinted tails are nice too.​

music_man185

Reaction score
i've read many times that film tint on tail lights just isn't durable. and i have a can of vht night shades at my house now. but after looking at numerous pictures, i like the looks of professional body shop tinted tail lights much better. they look more factory. night shades "dulls" the headlights even when clear coated. and automotive paint mixed with clear will allow more light to pass through than night shades (so i've read). however everyone who has them professionally sprayed uses plain black paint mixed with clear. i'm wondering how black sand pearl mixed with clear will look.

D-Bo

Reaction score
i never knew that but if thats the case seems like it'd be pretty cool.

braves011

"Crouching Tiger"
Reaction score
i would think that the metal flake in the paint would make it more reflective... :dontknow:

music_man185

Reaction score
you could be right. i have no idea about stuff like this. lol. thats why i'm so scared to try it without seeing it first. :rockon:

denzel05

Reaction score
Not bsp color match, but pretty damn close. Here are some pics of my tinted tails.

Murdered X 002.jpg 082.jpg 081.jpg

Light shines through OK during the day. At night there is no problem, also added led bed bar for extra light.

NixXR462

Reaction score
x'ed painted his tails BSP. They look awesome when the light hits them and you see the metallic in it. I'd do it.

T0LLPHR33

"Catwoman"
Reaction score
the only problem I see with painting your tail lights is the visibility of the lights during the day.

Cops have been cracking down on tinted tails especially those that are tinted/painted with automotive paint. The law does state that tail lights are to remain red and visible that way other drivers clearly see your intentions whether its stopping, slowing down, turning...etc...

I have tinted tails but I sprayed them with tint, wet sanded between coats, and also clear coated 4-5 times. that way it seals the tint and the end results the tint isn't rough to touch but glossy...

Good Luck bro and keep us posted...:top: BTW I don't have BSP Tails but have the BSP HLM...:smile:

Mr Smack Attack

Reaction score
the only problem I see with painting your tail lights is the visibility of the lights during the day.

Cops have been cracking down on tinted tails especially those that are tinted/painted with automotive paint. The law does state that tail lights are to remain red and visible that way other drivers clearly see your intentions whether its stopping, slowing down, turning...etc...

I have tinted tails but I sprayed them with tint, wet sanded between coats, and also clear coated 4-5 times. that way it seals the tint and the end results the tint isn't rough to touch but glossy...

Good Luck bro and keep us posted...:top: BTW I don't have BSP Tails but have the BSP HLM...:smile:

you dont want a reason for cops to pull over even faster.. IMO

music_man185

Reaction score
Last edited:

STONER-X

Reaction score
as long as you don't mix too much black in the clear you should not have a problem. you mix less and spray till you get the desired tint.....

if you do a bsp color get a three stage the pearl would be a clear tint with all the metallic in it

mix the clear and black
spray
get the pearl
spray
get the clear
spray

bsp-ed tail light is what youll have

i did this with mine i screwed up and used a premixed paint (lacquer) and that affected the out come, but i will be using car paint next and it will be BSP

NixXR462

Reaction score
those look good. what did you use to tint them?

also, i searched for pics of "x'ed" tail lights, but i can't find any. anyone know where to find some?
I don't think he has any pics. We had alittle get together last weekend and I saw them.

music_man185

Reaction score
as long as you don't mix too much black in the clear you should not have a problem. you mix less and spray till you get the desired tint.....

if you do a bsp color get a three stage the pearl would be a clear tint with all the metallic in it

mix the clear and black
spray
get the pearl
spray
get the clear
spray

bsp-ed tail light is what youll have

i did this with mine i screwed up and used a premixed paint (lacquer) and that affected the out come, but i will be using car paint next and it will be BSP

sounds like you know what your talking about. lol. are you doing yours anytime soon? i'd like to see pics.

I don't think he has any pics. We had alittle get together last weekend and I saw them.

that sucks. i'd really like to see a set before i pull the trigger on mine.

Last edited:

NixXR462

Reaction score
sounds like you know what your talking about. lol. are you doing yours anytime soon? i'd like to see pics.

that sucks. i'd really like to see a set before i pull the trigger on mine.
I'll text him and see if he has pictures of them.

Top Bottom