Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Brake Fluid Leak

xptical

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a 2005 Speedway Blue (does that even matter?) X-Runner. I have a few questions:

1. Is it an "x" runner, or is it a "cross" runner? If so, why?

2. My truck is leaking break fluid into the cab. I have been told by a reputable source that the brake and clutch share a single master. What do I need to do do to fix my girl so she stops drinking brake fluid?

3. What is the part number for the blower resistor? My A/C only works in full-on now.

4. I'm down to 16MPG from probably 18 or so (city) when I got her. I'm thinking of doing an electric water pump and replacing the mechanical fan with an electric fan. Ideas?

Thanks all....

Whitebeauty

Reaction score
Welcome to the site....First off i would get that leak fixed asap!!!!! Its gonna screw up your interior floor there like no tommorow.
You might need a tune up for your fuel consumption and happy maintenance overall!!

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
1. It is an X-runner. Supposedly named for the extra frame bracing that when put together would indeed form an X. AKA the X-brace.

2. The brake and clutch do share the single master. I'm not sure how you would go about fixing the leak though. Have you found where it is coming from?

3. I suck at finding part numbers so hopefully someone else will get you an answer to that one.

4. How many miles on your truck? A good tune up could be all she needs. New plugs, air filter, clean maf and TB, full fluid replacement. Maybe a new fuel pump and filter would be a benefit. Check your tire pressure and make sure all is well there. Just because its older doesn't mean it should be getting worse gas mileage. Mine is an 05, and granted its not stock or high mileage, but my gas mileage has never been negatively effected through the years.
I haven't seen anyone do an electric water pump. E-fans have been done, but IMO any gains you will see really won't be worth it. I have one, and am thinking about going back to the old dependable mechanical fan actually.

cwatt

Reaction score
Hi all,

4. I'm down to 16MPG from probably 18 or so (city) when I got her. I'm thinking of doing an electric water pump and replacing the mechanical fan with an electric fan. Ideas?

Thanks all....

- Change your spark plugs (if you haven't recently)

- Your money is better spent in an intake, headers, and exhaust (better return on investment there)

... and welcome. You're sure to find a lot of advice here. Most of which accurate (jk).

gunner76137

Reaction score
You need a new slave cylinder,its what the clutch pedal hooks to under the dash,clutch master is down on the trans, front reservoir on brake master on fire wall is for the clutch.

TahoesHateMe

Reaction score
The brakes and clutch have 2 seperate master cylinders but the clutch master has a hose running from the brake fluid res on the brake matser. You need to look at the push rod from the clutch pedal at the firewall. That will be the clutch master cylinder. If its leaking it need to be replaced.

Pillsbry10

Reaction score
i have a pretty slow leak going on myself.. isnt it possible to be leaking into the brake booster as well?

TahoesHateMe

Reaction score
If the brake master is leaking it will leak into the booster but not into the passenger compartment. The clutch master doesn't involve the booster. Some needs to actually look and see where its coming from.

You need a new slave cylinder,its what the clutch pedal hooks to under the dash,clutch master is down on the trans, front reservoir on brake master on fire wall is for the clutch.

The master is on the firewall. The slave is on the trans.

Last edited:

Gadget

Reaction score
Unlike the earlier Tacomas, this truck has the clutch master cylinder inside the dash instead of out in the engine compartment.

The clutch master cylinder shares the resivore with the brake system.

The clutch master cylinder is made of plastic and has a hose and high pressure line going through the fire wall back into the engine compartment.

You most likely have a bad O-Ring or a crack in the clutch master cylinder. Should be real easy to figure out. Just look up under the dash with a lite and see where the fluid is coming from.

G

cwatt

Reaction score
Oh, and then there's Gadget (a.k.a. 'G'). He's kind of like the forum Jedi; he speaks less than more, but when he does you can bet your paycheque on it.

o5oldblue

Reaction score
i have a pretty slow leak going on myself.. isnt it possible to be leaking into the brake booster as well?

In most cases. If you have brake fluid leaking into the booster once it effects the booster the brakes will feel like they are manual brakes(an older vehicle without a brake booster the master cyl bolts right to the firewall) you will apply more pressure to the pedal because it is harder to press.

gunner76137

Reaction score
Unlike the earlier Tacomas, this truck has the clutch master cylinder inside the dash instead of out in the engine compartment.

The clutch master cylinder shares the resivore with the brake system.

The clutch master cylinder is made of plastic and has a hose and high pressure line going through the fire wall back into the engine compartment.

You most likely have a bad O-Ring or a crack in the clutch master cylinder. Should be real easy to figure out. Just look up under the dash with a lite and see where the fluid is coming from.

G
And its a beauch to change out(been there done that!!) Parts about 80.00

Crimson KING

Reaction score
I have seen brake boosters so full of fluid that it will leak into the cab and I've also seen the booster check valves go bad and allow the motor to start sucking up brake fluid.
However the much more likely culprit would be like everyone else says, the clutch master cylinder.

TahoesHateMe

Reaction score
The best and real only way to know is to grab a flash light and look. Until then........................................

Pillsbry10

Reaction score
It's been hot outside lol

Mine is clutch master looks like price ranges from 50-100

Top Bottom