Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

CA - Insurance Question???

wchoy09

Reaction score
does anybody know if you need california bought insurance to drive your own car in california. I go to school in california and i am getting a car. I have insurance back in hawaii but ive heard that you have to have california insurance… does anyone know if this is true?

2006nightrider

Reaction score
No idea....But I wouldn't doubt it if they had some stupid law like that.

I heard earlier this week you can't even say curse words in public anymore:stupid:

joman

Reaction score
does anybody know if you need california bought insurance to drive your own car in california. I go to school in california and i am getting a car. I have insurance back in hawaii but ive heard that you have to have california insurance… does anyone know if this is true?

i'm here in cali..i'm pretty certain yes you have to have insurance for your car when your driving in Cali but it doesn't matter if yoru insurance is from HI just as long as the car you are driving is insured. does that make sense?

hope it helps! Welcolme to Cali!

XX-RR

Reaction score
Where you purchased your insurance is not as important as whether it provides coverage for you in CA. Contact your insurance agent / company and let them know that you are residing in CA while attending college and that your vehicle is in CA and that you need coverage while in CA.

If your Insurance Company does not write CA Auto coverage you may need to contact a CA agent / company.

Good luck!

Vince77

Reaction score
No idea....But I wouldn't doubt it if they had some stupid law like that.

I heard earlier this week you can't even say curse words in public anymore:stupid:

Well it's a no cursing week. And yes, it's some stupid shit. :stupid:

That could be a bad week for me. I cuss like a f*cking sailor. :rolleyez:

On topic: As long as you have proof of insurance, you should be good. But I'd do some research to be sure. Or just call the local police station. :top:

TreTuna

Reaction score
It's also a little different when you're in school too. You should be good as long as your insurance will cover you in Cali. When you move somewhere for school the law allows you to waive having to register it in that state (can keep your HI plates and registration), this should also apply to the insurance as well, as long as they will pay for an accident in Cali if, heaven forbid, some should happen.

Top Bottom