Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

CalTracs

rat7761

Reaction score
DSCF2264.jpg

How CalTracs work. If you compare instant center, design, adjustability, geometry, etc. with other traction bars available for the X-Runner, you'll find out that these are the best traction bars hands down. If you need more proof, look at what guys run in NHRA stock eliminator, PSCA street car competition, and other classes where you are required to retain stock suspension.

xrunnercaltracs2.jpg

Force transfer links, front pivot assemblies, rear mounts, and front eye bushing kit. Rear heim joints and bolts missing. :thumpdown:

xrunnercaltracs3.jpg

The hardest part was removing the stock bushings and installing the solid aluminum bushings. The proper way is with a press but I don't have one so a large impact socket and hammer had to suffice. The new aluminum bushing was a little larger than the stock one so it was even harder to install. I had to taper the end with a grinder so I could get it started in the spring.

xrunnercaltracs4.jpg

The front pivot assemblies mounted. The X-Runner kit comes with "Low Profile" plates which have 1.5" more ground clearance than the standard plates.

xrunnerclatracs5.jpg

The rear mounts installed. Calvert uses stock plates, weld their own tabs, then powdercoat them. I torqued the U-bolts to 50 ft.-lbs.

xrunnercaltracs6.jpg

Don't forget to ship your old U-bolt plates back to Calvert Racing for your $190 core credit. The CalTracs themselves cost $339.

xrunnercaltracs5.jpg

The finished product. I preloaded the bars 1/4 turn on each side. The rear suspension will be a little stiffer. I heard that they help eliminate bottoming out on dropped X-Runners if you preload them. My truck is not dropped though. If you want the suspension to function normally, just leave an air gap between the leaf spring and the spring stop then preload them when you go to the track.

xrunnernewspring2.jpg

xrunnercaltracs7.jpg

caltraclaunch.jpg

CalTracs equipped on drag radials.

DSCF2401.jpg

They work!

xrunnertrack5-2-09a.jpg

rearspringbushings.jpg

Two problems that were just wrong parts.

Left to right: The stock bushing. The bushing originally sent with the CalTracs. The correct size bushing. You can visually see the difference. The improper bushing measured 1.63". The stock and correct size bushings measured 1.57". Don't quote my measurements. I used a cheapy caliper. But the difference is clear.

xrunnerspring.jpg

This is what happens to a rear leaf spring with the wrong size bushing installed. Yes, 0.060" makes a huge difference.

xrunnercaltracmod.jpg

The link bars that were sent to me originally were too short so I would run out of adjustment on the heim joints. I had to add about a 1/2" section to the bar in order to adjust them correctly.

xrunnercaltracbars.jpg

Calvert sent me the correct length bars which measured 24.5". All parts were free of charge.

Last edited:

Venomous_X

Reaction score
look good bro sorry for the trouble though.....:top:

rat7761

Reaction score
Thanks. Yeah, nothing bums me out more than getting excited over new stuff, then finding parts missing.

5000XD

Reaction score
Nice man! As what did you order them? Caltrac for the Tacoma X-Runner, or did you take all dimensions? Wonder if they now know what to send me if I just say Tacoma X-Runner :dontknow:

05bluerunner

Reaction score
I have that kit installed, very nice! No more wheel hop at all. I was lucky enough to have access to a press so the install wasn't bad at all.

rat7761

Reaction score
Nice man! As what did you order them? Caltrac for the Tacoma X-Runner, or did you take all dimensions? Wonder if they now know what to send me if I just say Tacoma X-Runner :dontknow:

Yup, just say Toyota X-Runner. They make a specific kit for the X.

Calvert Racing: (661) 728-9600

how much they go for?

$339.00 + a refundable $190.00 core charge if you send back your old rear mounts. Calvert says they need to do that because the rear mounts are expensive. They run about $90 each.

bet they wont bend like the TTC bars

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that these are the best traction bars you can buy for the X-Runner. If you look at the NHRA stock eliminator class where you have to retain the stock suspension, practically all the leaf spring cars and trucks have these bars.

Last edited:

frechem

Reaction score
I'm going to bump this back up to see if anyone else has installed these. Anyone use these with the composite leafs? Anyone have some more feedback?

ntinhri

Reaction score
IMO- the urd track bar does a better job of keeping the axel wrap from happening. There for is a better ideal than these. while these would probably be my second choice..

Hi_On_X

Reaction score
Hands down it's the best traction bar out there.........:rock:

frechem

Reaction score
Why is that? Do you have them or just like to promote for them?

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
Really nice, I have been eyeing these for a while now...

This is the route I will be going.

This is probably one of if not the most effective setups out, not to mention id bet its pretty light...

You are replacing stock parts and adding two brackets and two bars.... How much weight do you think is added? Probably not much...

If I was a gambling man id say this setup in total adds MAYBE 15 lbs or so...

This setup is ideal - id say they perform great and are low in fat.

Last edited:

Shanes56

Reaction score
Caltracs are a big no no with the composites unless you pad the brace that rests on the leafs with a nice poly tubing so it is not metal on composite, it is possible.

Caltracs is fantastic in a straight line, I don't think there is a better setup out there for a straight line, the URD is the best all around IMHO lateral traction is forgotten in most traction bars

Last edited:
Top Bottom