Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Cam gear install FAIL

DERRIXRYD

Reaction score
Yep you got lucky...as we were on the other end of the spectrum and must have been just past where we needed to be when we opened her up. We had to turn for a while.

Xacto

Reaction score
Thanks for the help/comments guys. Yea im praying i didn't bend any valves, but the driving i did do was all only slight throttle and never passed 2.5k rpms. Basically the most ive ever babied the engine lol.

Everything is undone and the cam covers are ready to come off, but it started raining so possibly later today, if not, tomorrow i will get back to it.

rich017

Reaction score
Does anyone know of our engines are interference or Non-interference engines?

blastap

Reaction score
Does anyone know of our engines are interference or Non-interference engines?

I was thinking the same thing. Since they are ''high compression'' I bet they are. Nobody has been close to 180 off though YET. Just a few teeth with make it run terrible im sure.

Timing a motor is no easy task if your new to the industry. I have made my mistakes as well, learning how to time motors. I have never bet any valves but i have have some funny running machines.

SooRunner

Reaction score
I got lucky with my install. Markings where all lined up. Didn't have to turn the engine or anything.

After I completed my install, started up the truck and it idled funny. I was shit faced! Went to double check my work and I forgot to put a vacuum hose back into the manifold. So make sure all vacuum hoses are reconnected properly.

Xacto

Reaction score
well i spent about 30 mins cranking. got it close twice, but wasn't quite there. Also, one set of the two yellow links are slightly further ahead than the other side in relation to the notches..i dunno what that implies.

Anyway, here are pics if they mean anything to anyone:

DRIVER SIDE:
Driverside1.jpg

Driverside2.jpg

PASSENGER SIDE:
Passengerside2.jpg

Passengerside3.jpg

Passengerside1.jpg

Gadget

Reaction score
You do not have the timing marks on the intake cams in the proper position. Not even close.

Look like the driver's side exhaust cam is way out of time.

Line up the intake cams to the bearing caps and the crank pulley to Zero. Once you have done that the exhaust cams should be in the proper position.

I think you are more focused on the paint marks on the little chains instead of lining up the engine properly.

I will bet you have the drivers side exhaust cam two teeth off.

G

Xacto

Reaction score
Forgiive my ignorance, this is my first time dealing with cams. Ill have to research the terms to know exactly what youu are talking about. I had a feeling it was driver side timing issue.

Ok...i think i get it now. The lifted "notches" on the bearings need to match up with the dot on the cam gear facing up and pointing at the notch for the exhaust side and needs to be between those two "groove" notches on the VVT-i actuator...which is the one that has the orange strap. Ok, ill post pics of what it looks like when i think i get it figured lol.

Last edited:

5000XD

Reaction score
You do not have the timing marks on the intake cams in the proper position. Not even close.

Look like the driver's side exhaust cam is way out of time.

Line up the intake cams to the bearing caps and the crank pulley to Zero. Once you have done that the exhaust cams should be in the proper position.

I think you are more focused on the paint marks on the little chains instead of lining up the engine properly.

I will bet you have the drivers side exhaust cam two teeth off.

G

Exactly what G said.

My68ur8trd

Reaction score
When I did mine I just lined up the timing marks and put a little dab of paint on the chain link over the mark on the gear. I don't think I even turned the crank 2 revs. Did I just get lucky? Why does no one else use this method?

thats how i do it, as soon as both exhaust cams are lined up with the bearing caps, mark the chain and swap them

on my new truck, it turned it maybe a 1/4 rev :laugh:

and on Tapps truck maybe a half :smile:

I gave up on lining all of those paint marks up very quickly

the paint marks are there to make it pretty much fool proof to get them lined up.

Justin

Gadget

Reaction score
I line up the big chain, and all the hard timing marks. Then mark the little chain and get to work.

The last X-1 I put in I did in about 1:45 with constant phone interruptions.

G

gtmoy

Reaction score
Yep, didn't get it on the dowel. That was because I didn't lock down the chain tension-er. Also marking the chain link before you take off the factory cam gear makes it 1000% easier. No guessing that way. By the time you pop off the cam bolt, you've turned the engine a bit.

Xacto

Reaction score
here are some pics of the current situation. I cranked it over to set the crank pulley to zero as ya said G.
Here's what it looks like...i think it's one tooth behind. Does it matter if the tooth with the dot is under a different type of chain link than the other side when zero'd? Meaning, the passenger side tooth is under the chain link that is i guess the "outer" chain link whereas the driver side looks like it the tooth belongs under an "inner" chain link. id imagine it makes no difference.

And as a side note, these are camera phone pics, lovin the 5mpx droid camera :biggrin:

Passenger side:
PassengerSide.jpg

PassengerSide2-1.jpg

Driver side:
DriverSide.jpg

DriverSide2-1.jpg

Last edited:

Xacto

Reaction score
Can i get definitive Gadget confirmation that the driver's side is behind by one tooth? I really don't want to do this again lol :rockon::hmmmm2:

and to be absolute, the dotted tooth should go under this link, right?

alt.jpg

Last edited:

T0LLPHR33

"Catwoman"
Reaction score
take a look at my thread i made a while back...click for link -> APR X-1 Cam Gears Help...

please look at posts #4 by mark (torpsd) and post #5 by me...those pictures should give you the best idea at the timing marks and lining up the key dot for the cam gears to the timing marks...:top:

let me know if you need any further help bro...sent you a pm...

Last edited:

jaxchrisfla

Reaction score
Can i get definitive Gadget confirmation that the driver's side is behind by one tooth? I really don't want to do this again lol :rockon::hmmmm2:

and to be absolute, the dotted tooth should go under this link, right?

alt.jpg

according to that pic, it looks like its off only one tooth. needs to be turned clockwise one tooth. that notch in the center of the gear is also the same as the aligning tooth, so it needs to match the bearing cap when the intake is set to the right place.

Xacto

Reaction score
Thanks all. I just went ahead and went with my intuition on that one, which is exactly what you said, one tooth clockwise.

Runnin like a champ now!!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::rockon::rockon::rock::rock::rock:

Top Bottom