Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Carbon Fiber Hood Options - Please express your interest

S7ICKlVlAN

Reaction score
Aloha all, I had posed a request to several companies (VIS, Carbon Creations, CFHoods, Motor City Mold, etc...) to look into producing a CF hood option for us Tacoma guys. There is a plain option currently available on the market, but I am looking to having something a little more aggressive produced. The design would consist of the following facets:

Utilization of factory hood latch assembly
Utilization of factory hinge assembly
Replaces factory hood scoop: A heat extractor vent that would alleviate the high pressure zone in front of the engine block under the hood.
On either side of the hood, just aft the headlights a series of (5) reverse louvers the follow the lines of the hood (would get smaller as they progress towards the cab) and follow the lines of the leading edge of the hood/headlight. So they would slant back
The vents would have a black/stainless mesh on the underside to give a "finished" look

I have gotten an initial commitment to produce this hood (2005-2012) from carbonfiberhoods, but I need to gauge interest and find a 2 donor hoods (1) 2005-2011 and (1) 2012. Can you guys give me some feedback? Price would likely be <$800.

TIA gang!

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
I am interested, would like to see an autocad of what it would look like though.

I also have my stock hood, problem is shipping would be killer!!

braves011

"Crouching Tiger"
Reaction score
VIS already makes (or made) don't know if they still do or not a stock CFH. As for what your describing a photoshop or as previously mentioned a CAD drawing would help sell this better.

jboy671

Reaction score
I'm waiting for a functional "tommyz" type ram air hood. I would go for a cf hood if the scoop were removed or made functional or had the option of being painted. I want cf for weight savings not the look :)

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
I would like to see the design idea as well. I have a feeling, but am not sure that it is what you are referring to.

Also, here is some more CF goodiness for you to look at: http://www.xr-underground.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=48723

The VIS one is mainly fiberglass, with a layer of CF on top of it. Then clear coated. I have that one already.

S7ICKlVlAN

Reaction score
I'll try to have someone work something up....

Imagine a central extractor like this....minus the large cowl type scoop
o5s2tc.jpg

And fender vents like this.....except starting maybe 4" back from the headlights
dodge_viper_gts_coupe_vent_00.jpg

2003_dodge_viper_picture%20(23).jpg

Or even like this...
2010-Brabus-Mercedes-Benz-GLK-V12-Hood-Vents-1024x768.jpg

fb4994f2.jpg

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
That Mercedes hood looks very good.

I think something similar to that could be pulled off on our trucks.

Last edited:

BSP06XRU

Old Member
Reaction score
You can combine the extractor with the vents as well:

2012-Ford-Mustang-BOSS-302S-5.0-L-4-Valve-Ti-VCT-V8-Engine-440-hp.jpg

Moneyblind

Reaction score
All of these are amazing ;);) Damn S7ICK and taking my money!

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Only thing that would be a pain for me, is doing the hood latches on the new hood. That stuff is a pain.

BrokenTusk

Reaction score
I am most definitely interested, my hoods starting to crease down the middle from excessive speeds and the front corners are raised up about 1/2 a centimeter, not much, but its enough to notice.

jboy671

Reaction score
I like the hood designs of the maroon mercedes and the mustang. Function over form (our "fake" sccops) gets me every time.

S7ICKlVlAN

Reaction score
Glad to see the interest. I'm sure they'd be willing to give it a shot if we got 15-20 guys interested out the gate....

SooRunner

Reaction score
If this does go thru for the hood, I would recommend http://www.aerocatch.com/ and get this group buy going too!

When I added a grillcraft grill, more flow of air is rammed in making my hood rise up a bit. Maybe I didn't notice before but I can see it lift after the mod.

I'm planning adding a aerocatch sooner or later cuz i don't really trust that hood latch...I don't wanna get hood slapped and a broken windshield in the face. :biggrin:

I'll be all over a CF front splitter like this pic...Holy Moly! :crinklehair:

Attachments

• 55.jpg
    55.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
Top Bottom