Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Cat back exhaust HP gains?

SpeedFreak99

Reaction score
I have just ordered the TRD S/C and cold air, however everything else will be completely stock. I have thought about an exhaust, but I wonder what kind of HP gains a cat back exhaust would give the truck. I kinda like the stock exhaust sound, but I like being considered a sleeper even more. Is the catback worth the cost for power.

utixrunner

Reaction score
cat back will get you almost nothing, but it will sound much better. I think the only one you will definatly gain some would be the URD 3"

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
Honestly dude you should have an exhaust before getting boosted. Running the blower/intake with stock piping will probably put your EGTs through the roof; its like blowing into a straw. You should see a real nice gain with a 3" catback and some DT headers...

SpeedFreak99

Reaction score
I'm coming from a 95 mustang GT where aftermarket headers was a nightmare, how are the Doug Thorley headers installed and maintenance?

XrunnIT

Reaction score
Honestly dude you should have an exhaust before getting boosted. Running the blower/intake with stock piping will probably put your EGTs through the roof; its like blowing into a straw. You should see a real nice gain with a 3" catback and some DT headers...

:dito:

When you go boosted, you want to have a free-flowing exhaust. You don't want any backpressure when your f/i.

I would look into getting the DT headers and a 3" catback for sure. :top:

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
Lets put it this way. I have not seen one negative comment on DT headers ever. There are a ton of them out there too. You will probably see around a 20 HP gain to the wheels with the headers and catback. That seems to be the average dyno result.

SpeedFreak99

Reaction score
Well any info on this is great. I'm totally new to boost. I've always ran N/A. All the advice is welcome.

SpeedFreak99

Reaction score
With the Trd charger and DT headers & catback what is the expected average rwhp?

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
I have seen anywhere from 300 to 320 HP and 330 ft-lbs at the wheel with those mods. Then drop on a smaller pulley and see what happens... Id imagine you will get an additional 35-45 HP on top of that and plausibly around 370 - 400 ft-lbs of torque at 1,500 - 1,800 RPMs....

XrunnIT

Reaction score
with the headers and cai you should be right at about 300rwhp, a good catback would yield a little more. swapping the stock y-pipe with the URD y-pipe would be good for gains, but hard on the ears.

SpeedFreak99

Reaction score
The urd pulley would be tempting. I just need to get my head right and pull the trigger on exhaust and headers.

I do have a question about the ECU. Since Toyota flashes it, what happens when you continue to add mods, does it change air/fuel enough to need an update. and if so who would update. Are you looking at a chip at that point?

Last edited by a moderator:

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
Id say average is 305 - 310 for the Headers, Intake, and blower in stock form.

I do have a question about the ECU. Since Toyota flashes it, what happens when you continue to add mods, does it change air/fuel enough to need an update. and if so who would update. Are you looking at a chip at that point?

In stock blower trim the word is that the computer will compensate for the pulley. I have had people tell me that with heavy bolt ons its fine and running 12 even across the board, and I have had people tell me its a little lean.

You should install a good AFR and get to a dyno when you start to push the envelope. Just cause someone else's truck runs ok doesn't mean yours will.

utixrunner

Reaction score
Id say average is 305 - 310 for the Headers, Intake, and blower in stock form.

thats seems to be about where most are at. as for the afr mine is a little lean (12.8-12.9 at WOT) this was tested after 2 cats though so I think it is off a little.

SpeedFreak99

Reaction score
Dude you guys are great, I am trying to grab the 300hp mark to the tires. All this help is much appreciated, it makes me feel better to know the computer should compensate for mild bolt ons. Thanks

Also anyone heard anything on an event around the mid atlantic this summer?

Top Bottom