Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Chevy putting the Tacoma in their cross-hairs

Edgeman

Reaction score
Sounds like Toyota better "man up" with the next version. I see 300hp as the absolute minimum HP rating for the next V6 (without having to add a supercharger). 236 just doesn't cut it! Although this article doesn't mention it, rumors have Chevrolet adding a diesel engine option to the next version of the Colorado, and we know Toyota thinks diesel power is a dirty word.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/other/2015-chevrolet-colorado-z71-first-test/ar-AA7oR2a

I love Tacomas, and will probably always have one in my driveway, but Toyota needs to step up to the plate.

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
They are just shooting for peak HP numbers to advertise...its a high reving smaller displacement engine without the grunt to pull the pig out of its own way. 6800rpm, 305hp but damn near identical torque to the tacoma motor. Sounds to me more like the Colorado is finally trying to catch up to the 10 year old tacoma models.....

shane881510

Reaction score
I agree with u both. Chevys v6 has always been on the weak side. I agree that the tacoma v6 could be improved. If nissan can make 300+ hp with 3.5 liters than toyota can make that with 4.0 liters. But toyota is more about cost efficiency of production than hp.

darthyota

Reaction score
I agree with u both. Chevys v6 has always been on the weak side. I agree that the tacoma v6 could be improved. If nissan can make 300+ hp with 3.5 liters than toyota can make that with 4.0 liters. But toyota is more about cost efficiency of production than hp.

they can and do they just don't put them in trucks

justin13703

Reaction score
My stepdad works at a chevrolet dealership and I checked out one of those new colorados a while back. I'm not brand loyal whatsoever and I call it how I see it and it was a damn nice truck. Exterior was nicer in person than it looks in pictures and the interior was real nice. The technology and design it has is definitely better than the tacomas. I didn't take it for a drive but if I was in the market for that size truck it would possibly be what I went with.

shane881510

Reaction score
Which come to think of it neither do Nissan trucks. The frontier has 4.0 liter v6 that don't make 300+hp. But yet the 350z and 370z both make 300+hp. If only the Nissan would of made a sport truck like the x runner with the 370z engine and tranny. That's something I'd like to see.

lamia2super

Reaction score
My stepdad works at a chevrolet dealership and I checked out one of those new colorados a while back. I'm not brand loyal whatsoever and I call it how I see it and it was a damn nice truck. Exterior was nicer in person than it looks in pictures and the interior was real nice. The technology and design it has is definitely better than the tacomas. I didn't take it for a drive but if I was in the market for that size truck it would possibly be what I went with.

remember the tacoma hasn't really changed since 2005. its do for a redesign so lets see how that looks compared to the chevy

Xrunner Drifter

Reaction score
Oh if only I could tell you what the new tacoma looks like.
I can tell you this:
The new taco is a BIG STEP and the new V6 is will make more power than now.
2016 is the year of the Tacoma.

SgtBadA

Reaction score
If they switched the 1GR-FE to direct injection i bet the motor would see 300hp easy. Toyota does need to jump on the band wagon with direct injection because it makes more power and is more efficient. Also an increase in MPGs.

Edgeman

Reaction score
If they switched the 1GR-FE to direct injection i bet the motor would see 300hp easy. Toyota does need to jump on the band wagon with direct injection because it makes more power and is more efficient. Also an increase in MPGs.

Wouldn't be surprised to see DI. One thing Toyota needs to do is to make power without sacrificing torque (that needs to be bumped too). This is a truck, so it needs to have plenty of torque to "be a truck."

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
Wouldn't be surprised to see DI. One thing Toyota needs to do is to make power without sacrificing torque (that needs to be bumped too). This is a truck, so it needs to have plenty of torque to "be a truck."

Exactly. The 300hp mark is nothing special. Lets start seeing trucks with 300tq then we're talking. :blurock:

Top Bottom