Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Cleaning the glass

sixstringdave

Reaction score
Hey there guys. I have been using Invisible Glass for a long time. This stuff is really great. Really awesome glass cleaner

The problem lately is that i have a bunch of spots on the glass. Must be from the rain cause i always dry the X down. And its really only on the windshield.

What can i use to totally get it clean? These hard water spots are driving me crazy!!!:stupid:

eltus

Reaction score
rain X. rain x is really great. they have different types, I currently have the aerosol spray can but i like more the normal spray bottle. just follow the instructions on the bottle.

sixstringdave

Reaction score
right on man, thanks. So for any reason beyond recognition that they dont have it.... what other products are there?

GR8DANE

Reaction score
once you get water spots on the glass they wont come off....its the acid in the rain that actually eats away at the glass... so the water spots are a combination of microscopic etching in the glass...so if you want "crystal clear glass"...replace the old with some new and never let rain touch it again

sixstringdave

Reaction score
once you get water spots on the glass they wont come off....its the acid in the rain that actually eats away at the glass... so the water spots are a combination of microscopic etching in the glass...so if you want "crystal clear glass"...replace the old with some new and never let rain touch it again

Wha!??! Im not sure about that. I dont think i have it that bad. And im pretty sure they are not etched in there cause when i cleaned my side windows they came pretty clean. but still have some traces... Also im wondering, if its acid rain then why doesnt the area where the wipers wipe it off have less? It never sat with rain on it. Only a bit got on it when i was coming home one day. Hmmmm...

GR8DANE

Reaction score
the second the acid rain touches your glass it "goes to work"....i have tried washing, drying, polishing, waxing, rain x...and none of it worked for me....im not saying it wont work for you but this is jus my experience

wchoy09

Reaction score
i have this product called MX-7 and it has worked wonders there are like microscopic grit that sand the the glass and polishes anything right off i got it from my aunty who is a VP of a major tinting company here in hawaii and it has turned foggy glass on a 85 bronco to brand new glass.

yea and im not too sure about Gr8danes post cause waterspots definetly come out with the right amount of work.

sixstringdave

Reaction score
Although i have heard of acid rain messing up glass, i dont think this is the case here. I talked to a guy at a detail shop and he uses some acid product to get the spots off. Its basically a rust remover that you can get at like home depot or somewhere. Now i dont remember the name, dang... but i will look for a rust remover type product.

That sucks about different methods not working for you bro.... and like i said, i dont think this is the case... hopefully im right :frown:

Tapp

Reaction score
sometimes i get some spots..every now an then...i just take the womans fingernail polish remover...works like a charm...:top:

Grumpy

Reaction score
Have you try scraping it with razor blade or polishing the glass with 000 or 0000 steel wool?

GR8DANE

Reaction score
maybe im jus taking the wrong approach, or maybe jus holding my mouth wrong....anyway, i hope im wrong on this but im 0/5...havent tried the mx-7 stuff or nail polish remover or the news paper thing...im gunna have to try those...but like i said earlier, maybe im doing sumtin wrong

Wayne R

Reaction score
maybe im jus taking the wrong approach, or maybe jus holding my mouth wrong....anyway, i hope im wrong on this but im 0/5...havent tried the mx-7 stuff or nail polish remover or the news paper thing...im gunna have to try those...but like i said earlier, maybe im doing sumtin wrong

You ain't wrong....

It sounds like etching to me as well. "Acid Rain" and other atmospheric contaminates cause this. There are other causes of the spots as well. The majority of spots on Glass (and Paint) are from the minerals in the water. Of all the Minerals in what we know as "hard water", Calcium is the major culprit for spots. Calcium being slightly akaline in nature is actually corrosive. When you clean the glass with the Vinegar and newspaper, the Vinegar (being an acid), actually breaks down and neutralizes the calcium (akaline) through a chemical reaction. (remember the vinegar and baking soda trick when you were a kid?:laugh:) This why the Vinegar seems to work for most people. However, frequently the damage (etching), has been done. To remove the etching, or at least minimize the appearance of it, you will have to polish the glass with an abrasive (mild).

There are several products available for glass polishing. Check some of the Auto Detailing sites like Griot's and Autogeek.

I have used this product with good results:

http://www.pinnaclewax.com/automotive-glass-care.html

sixstringdave

Reaction score
After trying numerous products and techniques......

Problem solved!! I went down to the local Ace hardware store and found some stuff.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1452134

This stuff is awesome!!! It totally worked great. I now have that crystal clear glass i had when i bought the truck. I even did the wife's corrola S with it.

Seriously, this is the stuff. it was cheap and easy to do too. Just follow the directions on the bottle and Shazam!! Clean glass!! I followed it up with some invisible glass cleaner that i have used for years and it really looks good.

So give it a try if you have a problem with hard water spots. Dont know about it working on "acid rain etched" glass, but that is a serious problem...

Good luck and thanks for the replies!!:top:

Viet2100

Reaction score
Always always always spray your car down when you get home after it's been rainy.

Top Bottom