Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

clicking LSD??

BSPX

Reaction score
not sure if there is something wrong or not. My truck has 4K miles on it. When I take left or right turns slowly in NEUTRAL not in gear I get a very consistent banging or loud clicking throughout the powertrain. Its definately coming from the rearend of the truck. I am thinking it may just be the LSD engaging and disengaging so the wheels can turn at different speeds. Is this correct? I can feel it all the way through the driveshaft into the shifter and floorboard. It will not do it if the truck is in gear, only in neutral and taking turns , like a u-turn or just circles. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

BSP06XRU

Old Member
Reaction score
Nope. Never heard or felt that before. Good luck and keep us posted!

SUODRAXAH

Reaction score
Id take that to the dealer... Mines never done that...

BSPX

Reaction score
maybe one of you guys could try it for me and see what happens. Just get going in a complete circle at slow speeds and put it in neutral and listen for a click. I'm hoping its not just me.

larojax-r

Reaction score
sounds familiar to me; mine did some noises like those around 18k:dontknow: , took it to the dealership, tech found no LSD additive in rear diff:thumpdown: , he then drained it, filled it up with new gear oil and added the additive, problem (and noises) gone:top: , no problems to date, I have over 25k, very happy with my "XR":biggrin:

BSPX

Reaction score
any idea what weight and LSD additive I should get? Does mobile 1 make a gear oil? Do you buy the additive seperately?

s/chargedxrunner06

Toyota Master Tech
Reaction score
any idea what weight and LSD additive I should get? Does mobile 1 make a gear oil? Do you buy the additive seperately?
75W-90W GL-5 gear oil and you can add an LSD additive to it, there are different company's that make LSD additive like GM, Ford, Royal Purple

BSPX

Reaction score
just spent $52 on Royal Purple with the LSD already in it. Should I take it to the dealer first or go ahead and risk $52 on some oil that might get drained out soon.

BSPX

Reaction score
ok I swapped the fluid out, did A LOT of circles and doughnuts (not burnouts!) and I found out a few things.

It ONLY does it in neutral, never in gear and ONLY at very very slow speeds.

Could it be that since the truck is in neutral that at slow speeds the engaging and disengaging of the LSD is grabbing the driveshaft and causing it to clinck, almost like someone was grabbing the driveshaft and twisting it back and forth like when you check for u-joint failure. For the love of God someone please try this in your truck and make sure I'm not losing my mind!!

X-Runnin

Reaction score
Umm... why would you be doing circles and U-turns in neutral at very low speeds:bird:
If it doesn't make the sound during normal driving then just leave it alone

BSPX

Reaction score
Umm... why would you be doing circles and U-turns in neutral at very low speeds:bird:
If it doesn't make the sound during normal driving then just leave it alone

come on man, I'm gearing up to do it like in 3 fast 3 furious!!! Seriously though, it all started when I noticed it just turning into my garage or taking a right hand turn.

BSPX

Reaction score
also it never makes that noise in reverse, no matter what speed. I cant believe no one can help me out with this.

Top Bottom