Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Clutch is gone :/

Rat Rod

"Blade"
Reaction score
clutch went out today :/ truck got towed to the stealer ship trying to convice my dad to let me upgrade the clutch any good arguments to convice him?

xrgilly

Reaction score
what went on it ?
my clutch disc separated i lil while ago cheap crap

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Here is one, the factory clutch as of '08 plus is even more likely to go out than the previous years. If not destroy itself. We both know how your dad likes to "drive" your truck. ;).

A quality aftermarket one will last much longer and be more durable. You would be investing in durability.

trd_sport

Reaction score
just print out a page for him to see all the issues people have with the stock clutch....let him make the informed decision.

Rickysnickers

Reaction score
Here is one, the factory clutch as of '08 plus is even more likely to go out than the previous years....

Any idea why this is? Who else, '09 and newer owners, have had to replace their clutches?

Rick

KETCHUP

Reaction score
Members that have neen thru more than one stock clutch. Comp clutch is much better quality. Will pay for itself in the end. :)

Buy from Gadget @ urdusa.com

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah. The hub separates from the disk. There are rings which slide and stop against the rivits, which hold the hub to the disk. I imagine that they are part of the mechanism which aids in smooth engagement. On the first three year models, the were much thicker than the 08+ models. That is also when Toyota switched manufacturers, from LuK to Aisin.

Here are some pics of the area which I am referring to, from my 06 factory clutch.

These are the rivits, and you can see where they have been hit.

CIMG1789.jpg

CIMG1787.jpg

The thickness and sturdiness of those points right there, became much thinner on the latter years, as I said before. It just takes one to many take offs, or one dumped clutch, and the hub shears off.

darthyota

Reaction score
I have an 09 and I just replaced my clutch at about 43000 miles as its was slipping when I drove the truck hard but there's still lots of meat left on it haha

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
I have an 09 and I just replaced my clutch at about 43000 miles as its was slipping when I drove the truck hard but there's still lots of meat left on it haha

reason yours never sheared is shit only breaks when you get grip....your Open diff=no traction :laugh:

justin13703

Reaction score
You can get a good aftermarket clutch/flywheel/tob for much cheaper than the OEM crap, it will be more reliable, last longer, hold more power, and you will always get better customer service from Gadget than you ever will from a dealershit.

I have a CC stage 3 clutch, lightweight flywheel, and TSK and I love it. It drives alot like stock even in stop and go traffic but it will grab like nobodys business when you want it to.

revobreaker

Staff member
Reaction score
Any idea why this is? Who else, '09 and newer owners, have had to replace their clutches?

Rick

I did!

Less than 20,000 on the stock clutch when i dumped the clutch real hard and the hub separated from the disk.

It is pretty widely know that the stock clutches are not that great, so an upgrade is well worth it in the long run.

holddeez08RR

Reaction score
You can get a good aftermarket clutch/flywheel/tob for much cheaper than the OEM crap, it will be more reliable, last longer, hold more power, and you will always get better customer service from Gadget than you ever will from a dealershit.

I have a CC stage 3 clutch, lightweight flywheel, and TSK and I love it. It drives alot like stock even in stop and go traffic but it will grab like nobodys business when you want it to.

If i were paying for each clutch replacement I would definitely go with a new setup from URD. So far, each of the 3 have been covered under warranty.

hiflyer

Reaction score

I have the same setup and feel the same way - it rocks!!

Xbluegto

Reaction score

Rick
i had to replace mine, i have an 09 but i probably have more miles on my truck than most, thats why i thought mine went out.

nick_gz1

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, hopefully pops goes with URD!

Top Bottom