Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Clutch pedal finally fixed

x-runner kid

Reaction score
So as we all know the stock clutch pedal is loose and creaky. There are two plastic bushings that cover a inner steel bushing on the pivot point of the pedal. Those plastic bushings wear out very fast and when you press the pedal it moves about 1/4"-1/2" side to side. I have been also plagued by the pedal feel not being very smooth and it's "sticky" in spots. So I decided to tear into it and do my own modified pivot point. I used a dremel and opened up each end of the pedal to be able to hold a bearing on both sides. I then used plastic welding to weld the new ball bearings into place. Put it back in the truck with locktite on the threads and snugged it down but not too tight as to bind. And I will say now the pedal feels like it should of when I bought the truck 10yrs ago. So far it's held up to clutch kicks and is so smooth it's ridiculous.

This picture is what it looked like before. My phone only lets me upload one photo At a time so I'll post the rest of them in the following comments.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 148

x-runner kid

Reaction score
This is after I used my dremel to open up the end. The key is to measure the width of the pedal before you start to remove material then after you place the bearing the width should be the same as it was before so it will sit in the stock mounting bracket. If you have to you can remove more material until your into your spec.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:

x-runner kid

Reaction score
The way the bearing sits in the pedal

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 124

x-runner kid

Reaction score
The plastic welded in bearing.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 140

x-runner kid

Reaction score
This is it with the bold through. I made sure the bearing inside diameter was the exact size as the old bushing so I didn't need to modify anything except the pedal.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 142

SgtBadA

Reaction score
Looks pretty good I used to hAve the pedal creek and it magically went away on its own... Weird

JPAYNE722

Reaction score
You know i got my master cylinder and pedal replaced for free because i said it wouldnt stop creaking haha

x-runner kid

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Ya mine was out of warranty and I didn't feel like messing with new bushings again to have the pedal feel loose again in 10k. I got rid of the creak a while back with a little bit of WD40 but it still wasn't smooth like it should of been. I wish I would of did this a long time ago. I was beginning to be pretty disappointed every time I drove my truck. It was like I was driving some old worn out hunk of junk. Clutch loose, trans shifts like old semi, and other misc issues I have turned a blind eye to in the last year or two. I have fixed almost all of them in the last week or two and I once again am in love with my taco lol.

Nashman

Reaction score
I can say I might have done it different way all do mine later much to lazy to fix my one sided wobble pedal right now. Shocks me on how much plastic is in these trucks..... kinda scary if you ask me

x-runner kid

Reaction score
I wish I could of found a smaller bearing but I had no luck. The plastic in the pedal is a very dense type of pcp it looked like to me. That's what I used to fill it back in and melted it into the pedal itself so it won't be coming out easily. Plus with the way it's held onto the truck it's sandwhiched in between two steel plates. And I packed the inside with a expensive bearing grease that I get for free ;D

iniquity

Reaction score
Looks like I found my next project (after I get the TCAI installed). That clutch squeak has been getting to me for months now. Usually the music drowns it out, but on quieter drives I can't stand it.

x-runner kid

Reaction score
Looks like I found my next project (after I get the TCAI installed). That clutch squeak has been getting to me for months now. Usually the music drowns it out, but on quieter drives I can't stand it.

Ya it would bug the crap out of me too. Wd40 worked good for the squeak but the smell of that plus the loose pedal was too much. If you need help feel free to msg me and I can give more details.

Top Bottom