Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

cv boots anyone?

Xtacy

Reaction score
so im at 127k on my truck. I noticed yesterday some oil in my garage so I decided to leave a cardboard box underneath to see where the leak was coming from. today I checked it and noticed a few drops from under the passenger cv boot and some oil on the cv boot itself. my question is do cv boots leak? I know they tear(which I seen a small tear and needs replacement). I didn't think they leak but I may be wrong. Also never changed them out but doesn't look too bad, so how hard are they to replace? thanks

x20Runner05

Reaction score
It looks like in your picture that you have a XR. As i cannot see your mod list as I am mobile right now. But the XR's don't have a CV shaft. But the steering could be leaking from the boot area. If you follow the outer tie rod end inward. If that is where it is leaking you will need a new steering rack as the seals on the rack are bad. CV shafts are usually on the 4x4's. but in that case you have a 4x4 you have to remove the shaft out the truck and really know what you doing to take the CV shaft apart to change the boots.

X-roller

Reaction score
The racks can be rebuilt just like the power steering pumps.

Gadget

Reaction score
If your steering rack is leaking the best deal going is to buy a factory re-manufactured rack from the Toyota dealer complete with Toyota warranty. If you shop around you can get it pretty cheap.

G

Xtacy

Reaction score
Just curious does anyone know how hard the removal and reinstall is? Never did this before on any car but everything else on my truck ive done by myself

Gadget

Reaction score
Popping the tie rod ends out of the steering knuckles is the hardest part.

You can rent a press for that.

G

Xtacy

Reaction score
I was reading on another forum that its not too crucial to change these? Is that true? Over night there were maybe 2 drops. I can see it leading to a bigger problem in the future tho

Gadget

Reaction score
Well, it is one of those things that has to be done. Put it on your list of lots of things to do.

You can most likely get by for a while, but one day it will leaks so bad you will be stranded somewhere.

On the older trucks you could just remove the power steering pump belt when this happened and just drive with manual steering for as long as you need to. Can't do that any more. That fluid leaks out and your pump will seize and blow the belt off and you are dead in the water.

G

Xtacy

Reaction score
^ thanks gadget....so I would have to buy the steering rack as one piece then?

X-roller

Reaction score
The power steering pumps don't burn out. They just need to be rebuilt. This is why I love toyota. A lot of the parts can be rebuilt to save you a ton of money. I rebuilt my power steering pump for $30 after i had it on the truck "burned out" for a year lol. they offer a rebuild kit for the rack too.

Last edited:

Gadget

Reaction score
Run one without fluid in it until it seizes up. Then try to rebuild it.

G

X-roller

Reaction score
Read my comment gadget. :top: I speak from experience not bs. Lol. I've been a mechanic almost my whole life this far. I've seen a lot of crazy things but toyota is one of the most economic friendly maintenance and service vehicles in my opinion.

x20Runner05

Reaction score
True you can rebuild the racks but if you don't habe the right tools to get the I miner tie rods out. Also for a amateur I wouldn't recommend it. Dealers or even mechanic shops don't usually rebuild them anymore. It's easier to just get a reman rack n put it in.

Xtacy

Reaction score
Would anyone have a rough estimate on a new steering rack?

Edgeman

Reaction score
True you can rebuild the racks but if you don't habe the right tools to get the I miner tie rods out. Also for a amateur I wouldn't recommend it. Dealers or even mechanic shops don't usually rebuild them anymore. It's easier to just get a reman rack n put it in.

Haven't looked specifically at my X, but what makes it so difficult to disconnect the tie rods on a Toyota rack?

Gadget

Reaction score
No harder than anything else. Just use the proper press and they pop right out.

G

Edgeman

Reaction score
No harder than anything else. Just use the proper press and they pop right out.

G

Thanks G! I bought a ball joint press kit from Eastwood years ago that has served me well. Can't believe how easy that makes the job.

TahoesHateMe

Reaction score
You can also smack the steering knuckle with a brass hammer and the tie rod will pop loose. The brass hammer is softer then the knuckle and won't damage it as long as your not being ham fisted with it and beating like it owes you money.

Top Bottom