Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Dashboard Plastic

vaneck77

Reaction score
Hey guys

I'm doing a custom pod pillar seeing I don't like to buy everything and I like a challenge. I did all cutting this morning and mounted in the pod but I'm looking for a plastic filler before I use bondo to smooth everything out. I've been reading some forums and they say to use "Fusor" but they have different kinds for different plastics. From the list below does anyone have any ideas? Thanks

ABS Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene
ABC/PC Polymer alloy of above
PA Polyamide (nylon)
PBT Polybutylene Terephtalate (POCAN)
PC Polycarbonate
PE Polyethylene
PP Polypropylene
PP/EPDM Polypropylene/Ethylenediene Rubber
PUR Polyurethane (Not all PUR is weldable)
PVC Polyvinyl Chloride
GRP/SMC Glass Fibre Reinforced Plastic

darthyota

Reaction score
I've used plastic metal before as a plastic filler you can pick it up at Cambodian tire I think it was like 3-5 dollars for a tube and it's made by 3m

Murderface

Reaction score
Any pics of ur custom pillar pod? Progress pics that is

vaneck77

Reaction score
Ya I'll post some pics once it's safe to touch again

I've used plastic metal before as a plastic filler you can pick it up at Cambodian tire I think it was like 3-5 dollars for a tube and it's made by 3m

Does it harden really hard or is it softer?

Last edited:

rexrunner

Reaction score
i would use an epoxy resin with a cabosil. texture the plastic nice and use a adhesion promotor. im assuming A pillar?

darthyota

Reaction score
Ya I'll post some pics once it's safe to touch again

Does it harden really hard or is it softer?
it hardens and is machine workable so you can drill it tap it sand it glue stuff together with it

vaneck77

Reaction score
For some crazy reason I found some plastic metal at the shop. I'll see if it'll work before i apply it

darthyota

Reaction score
well i used to fix a headlight surround and it looks like it came from the factory and well as glue stuff together

vaneck77

Reaction score
firststeps.jpg

First steps. I cut out the stock A-pillar and cut down the stand alone pod to that'll fit properly
018.jpg

Silconed the back so when I layed the epoxy it wouldn't move everywhere on me.
IMG_0114.jpg

Expoxy layed. What a disaster. I did get everything smoothed out eventually after 5 hours of hand sanding FML.
Bondo.jpg

Finally got the bondo layed. I'll post some more pics once I get the bondo sanded down.

darthyota

Reaction score
looks good man now what are you going to do when you want another gauge?

NoelsMyKuya

Reaction score
have you looked into using SEM Plastic Repair Kit? When I use to work at an auto body & paint shop, the body guys use this stuff on flexible plastics like bumpers to avoid any stress and cracking from bondo. Your work looks great so far, keep it up.

Top Bottom