Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Data Recorder

Dale

Reaction score
What is the length of time that the data recorder records data as in accident reconstruction? Can Toyota dealerships retrieve the data to see how you were driving prior to say "blowing the engine"?

Gadget

Reaction score
Yes. That in fact exists.

Gadget

xrunner5-0

Reaction score
It records 10 seconds before hard breaking(ie seatbelt lock) or hard impact. It records your speed, seatbelt, and braking. It can be extracted by Police in accidents resulting in death.

Stevenredx

Reaction score
It records 10 seconds before hard breaking(ie seatbelt lock) or hard impact. It records your speed, seatbelt, and braking. It can be extracted by Police in accidents resulting in death.

That is what they call the "black box," some states even have laws on information like that not be able to be retrieved unless its the auto maker themselves being investigated.

There is another system built in to the ODB II stuff that has freeze frame data recording. That is where the info on on rpm's, a/f ratio etc... is stored, and that is what Toyota would look at in the instance of a blown engine. :top:

AFP520

Reaction score
How can it predict you will hard break or hard impact to record 10 seconds before? :dontknow:

If anything, it will take a snapshot of the system AS the hard break or hard impact occurs. I can't see it constantly storing information, unless it is constantly overwritten.

Stevenredx

Reaction score

Jonathan

Reaction score
How can it predict you will hard break or hard impact to record 10 seconds before? :dontknow:

If anything, it will take a snapshot of the system AS the hard break or hard impact occurs. I can't see it constantly storing information, unless it is constantly overwritten.

that what it does, a 10 second cycle over and over.

if i recall, it cannot be used to a warranty issue, i think toyota needs a warrant or something to crack into it?

Top Bottom