Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Did a tranny fluid exchange and then...help please

sacX

Reaction score
So i put in some royal purple tranny fluid today through the shifter, and upon removing my URD short shifter i realized that lil pin or bolt that connnects the shifter to the linkage(i think thats what its called) then to the tranny was missing...this might explain y its been tough shifting rough lately...so anyways i had a random bolt that fit in the link that holds the shifter in place...so then I put it all back together and yes it shifts like butter (go Royal Purple!), but now my5th n 6th gears seem to be non existent :( has this happened to anyone else? Or does anyone know where I screwed up? Also ixs there a correct placement of how the shifter should connect to that link? Should i tighten that bolt stiff or leave some slack for movement? Forgive my poor mechanical lingo, ive been drinking and awake for 30+ hrs straight so my mind is not working too well :)

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
What link are you connecting to the shifter? Are you talking about the extension on the end of the stock shifter are, or something else? Could you maybe get a pic of what you are talking about so we can help you better?

sacX

Reaction score
Its the extension of the short throw shifter, where the ball at the end of the shifter fits into...I'm missing the clamshell spacers, and the setscrews apparently :( I guess I gotta fiure out where I can find some, maybe Ill call URD, thanks for your response...btw, my cameras are both out of comish right now, kid painted my droid when I was sleeping :( and my other camera went for a swim :( So I can't post pics...

Last edited:

justin13703

Reaction score
If you're missing the setscrews, let's hope they didn't end up in your transmission. But if I were you I'd just buy a new urd short shifter and just toss out whatever you have if it's missing parts. Unless gadget can get you what you need for cheap...

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
Yeah you definitely need to get the clam shell spacers and the set screws in there. Call up Gadget and see if he offers replacements.

CBRBob

Reaction score
Why did you take the shifter off for trans oil replacement?
There is a fill hole just above the drain.

justin13703

Reaction score
Some people like to fill it up through there so they dont have to pump it up into the transmission. Its pretty much impossible to tell if its over or under filled though that way.

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score

I find it easier to do it through the shifter........ he is lucky he decided to do it this way and discovered that these parts may be floating in the trans.......

keep us posted on what you find, how was the oil that came out? Metal shavings, chunks....??

CBRBob

Reaction score
Its pretty much impossible to tell if its over or under filled though that way.

It's impossible to tell if its over/underfilled if you fill it through the top. If you fill it in the fill hole, it comes out when full. It also takes 10 seconds to be able to fill instead of dissassembling the interior etc.
Good catch on the shifter though. Did it feel different?

sacX

Reaction score
I went through the shifter because it felt like something was awry, and I wanted to check it out...and yes the clamshell spacers and the set screws are definetely somewhere in my tranny! Im so sad =( I don't have the time or money to rip it apart to find em, I did my best to look for em, but Im sure they've either been chewed up by now...I did find metal shavings in the tranny fluid and when I was fishing around in my tranny witha extension magnet I got some more =( I ended up putting the stock shifter back together, and it runs fine...I do want to try n contact URD sometime soon to see about replacing those parts...thanks for your input fellas!

xrgilly

Reaction score
eak sounds like a potential transmission death in the near future those clams are pretty hard

X-Caliber

Reaction score
I have one of them floating around in the bottom of my tranny some 15k miles ago. no issues.

I called gadget and ordered some replacements, althought not sure if he has any extra laying around. The replacement piece I got sent was a different size than the original URD piece, but they still fit together pretty well.

Last time I reassembled the shifter I made SURE i tapped the set screws tight to prevent them from backing out. The transmission vibrations WILL make them slowly back out and allow the shifter to become loose (Also having the high possibility of another clamshell falling in next time you disasemble the shifter in the future).

Top Bottom