Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

DJM 3/3 or 3/4 cutting notch = salvage title?

cr$nXrunner

Reaction score
I read up on the DJM drop kits and how it requires to cut the notch in the frame. I heard any damage to the frame is considered salvage. My questions are:

How low in the rear can you get to not have to cut the notch?

What are my other options to get as low or near the djm drop at least?

If it does make ur car salvage title, why in the world would they sell a kit like that? (besides looking really damn clean)

CBRBob

Reaction score
When I worked at the auction, cut frames were considered 'frame damage', not salvage.

AbunaiXR

Reaction score
2 inches is optimal for ride quality, but still the occasional bottom out. anything more and you have a harsh ride and bottom out everywhere. i run 2.5 inch blocks, and i bounce like crazy and bottom out hard.. it is also recommended to upgrade your shocks to the QA1's.

toolowflow

Reaction score
salvage smalgage. I cut the frame with a 3" drop in the rear and im still always hitting the bump stops. Any thing over an inch and you will be hitting constantly with out the notch. FYI - twice over the years i got an itch to trade in for something else and both times they were willing to take the XR on trade being lowered and didnt say a word about the frame. Worst case, weld a piece if metal back in. car stealerships are ALWAYS selling crap that isnt road worthy, way worse than a notch with a heavy brace in place.

Murderface

Reaction score
My rear is dropped 2" with no notch and I don't bottom out all the time, in fact I can go weeks without bottoming out and I live in Nj

sinister07

Reaction score
I used to work at a body shop, we had a guy with minor fender damage come in. It was a 1500 with a notch. The insurance company came to look at the minor damage at which time they decide what the vehicle is worth (which obviously is a deciding factor in weather they pay to fix the vehicle) they saw the notched frame, said the truck was worth only 1000.00 (truck was easily worth 12-15k) and they would not fix the truck, instead paid out the 1000.00 to the customer and gave him a salvaged title. True story.

cr$nXrunner

Reaction score
I used to work at a body shop, we had a guy with minor fender damage come in. It was a 1500 with a notch. The insurance company came to look at the minor damage at which time they decide what the vehicle is worth (which obviously is a deciding factor in weather they pay to fix the vehicle) they saw the notched frame, said the truck was worth only 1000.00 (truck was easily worth 12-15k) and they would not fix the truck, instead paid out the 1000.00 to the customer and gave him a salvaged title. True story.

yup this is what im talkin about right here... :top:

shi13aL

Reaction score

damn that suckssss.

shaggy08xr

Reaction score
I read up on the DJM drop kits and how it requires to cut the notch in the frame. I heard any damage to the frame is considered salvage. My questions are:

How low in the rear can you get to not have to cut the notch?

What are my other options to get as low or near the djm drop at least?

If it does make ur car salvage title, why in the world would they sell a kit like that? (besides looking really damn clean)

These are both good to know if I ever decide to drop the x.

sinister07

Reaction score
Yeah I guess you have to remember an insurance company has to look at it from a different perspective. We look at a notched frame and think "bad ass clean drop" they look at it as not complete, must be replaced, frame is easily 1200.00, but then add 120 hours labor to swap all suspension, electrical, plumbing, mechanical, body, ect. Now you have just spent a small fortune. So for them it's a loop hole. They can say well that didn t happen in the accident, so basically we can get out of paying the actual bill for the damage.

Gunslinger

Reaction score
Figures,insurance companies would love a loophole like that. Too bad they just killed the value for something so simple.

Top Bottom