Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Do you warm-up your truck?

Do you warm-up your truck/car?

• Yes

Votes: 193 69.4%
  • No

Votes: 64 23.0%
  • Doesn't matter

Votes: 21 7.6%

• Total voters

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
When you first start any car up its in open loop and the afr is rich then leans out to 14.7. It doesn't stay in open loop very long though.

Correct.

That and since there is no load on the engine, things dont really heat up as much or get cleared out/burned up.

The worst thing you can do is let your truck idle for extended periods, drive a couple miles, and park it.

Also as much as the computer trys to maintain a 14.7 burn at idle, there is still unconsumed fuel and carbon build up happening.

dj_lucas840

Reaction score
if it below freezing i make sure get up little earlier and get it running for a few mine otherwise i just jump in let it run bout 30 seconds!!!! but then again i only work about 3 blocks from where i live!!! ive had to drive to work with my head out the window had ice on windsheild, and i like to sleep in as late as i can each morning

XDsm

Reaction score
Being an FI motor makes it extremely important to let it warm up.

Do you mean forced inducted engine or fuel injected? If fuel injected, then letting the car warm up is redundant unless of course you are in an extreme cold environment. Starting the car and waiting for it to warm up came out of the carbureted days. Carburetors on cars worked better when they were warm. With fuel injection the car automatically adjusts the fuel and air so that the car will run smoothly regardless of temperature.

If it's 40 degrees or higher outside there's no reason to allow a modern fuel injected engine to warm up by idling. You are just burning gas. Drive easy until in normal operating temps then have at it. However, you do not want to run an engine hard while cold. If you do this you can do severe damage to the engine regardless if it's a Toyota or Honda. Like DS said engine components expand and shrink based on temperature. When the engine is cold the oil doesn't flow as well and the engine components and seals are not expanded. My neighbor across the street killed their Avalon by constantly running the engine at high RPM while it was cold. Eventually blue smoke would shoot out when the car started and finally it began knocking like a deisel before dying.

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
Do you mean forced inducted engine or fuel injected? If fuel injected, then letting the car warm up is redundant unless of course you are in an extreme cold environment. Starting the car and waiting for it to warm up came out of the carbureted days. Carburetors on cars worked better when they were warm. With fuel injection the car automatically adjusts the fuel and air so that the car will run smoothly regardless of temperature.

If it's 40 degrees or higher outside there's no reason to allow a modern fuel injected engine to warm up by idling. You are just burning gas. Drive easy until in normal operating temps then have at it. However, you do not want to run an engine hard while cold. If you do this you can do severe damage to the engine regardless if it's a Toyota or Honda. Like DS said engine components expand and shrink based on temperature. When the engine is cold the oil doesn't flow as well and the engine components and seals are not expanded. My neighbor across the street killed their Avalon by constantly running the engine at high RPM while it was cold. Eventually blue smoke would shoot out when the car started and finally it began knocking like a deisel before dying.

I meant Forced Induction, not EFI.

Reaction score
So since I have always let my truck warm up, there's a chance I have some gnarly carbon build up?

If I do, is it reversable? I use only Shell gas and have always used Royal Purple and K&N filters since day 1...

WCD

Reaction score
I start mine, usually let it idle for 30 sec while adjusting the radio or whatever, then I'm rolling.

chadfo

Reaction score
I never let it warm up unless it's really cold out and still I'll only wait a minute or so. I've read in owner's manuals and other places that it's not necessary to let the engine warm up, at least down here in the South.

micpun

Reaction score
hell no, this is houston, its already warm when i get in it.

fuseaku

Reaction score
I will let it warm up for a minute or so if I have the time, but usually I'm in a rush so it's pretty much turn key and go for me. Probably not a good thing but oh well... it's a lease.

Vashx51

Reaction score
I let mine idle till it starts to drop the rpm some then I go. I have noticed that on really cold days when I go to start it up that the clutch pedal is slow to pop back out. So I will let it idle for a while till the clutch frees up like normal. I know it says in the book not to let it warm up like that, but I don't think a sticky clutch is a good way to try and drive. That won't help me to take it easy on the shifts.

KX7

Reaction score
I'll let it warm up for a minute or so then I'm on my way.

X-Pablo

Reaction score
I warm it up for 30 seconds to a minute at most, since I park in an underground parking it's not that cold.

BlackCat

Reaction score
As a general rule, engines will lube themselves better under load than when at idle. The major drivers for warm up periods on old cars were the carbs and the sloppier tolerances used in engine assembly back then. Carbs tended not to meter fuel very well when cold (and though chokes helped, they also tended to cause rich-burn issues, especially on cars without auto-chokes). And the sloppier tolerances tended to create engines that would burn oil when cold. There were other issues (none of which I can immediately remember).

Modern engines (again, as a general rule), don't need an extended warm up period. When the temps outside are decent, fire it up and you should be good to go. Take it easy for the first couple of miles, but sitting and idling for extended periods of time aren't really all that good on the engine (or the emissions system, for that matter). On especially cold days, letting it sit for a few minutes probably isn't a bad idea. But, again, extended idling really isn't necessary. Just take it easy for the first few miles. Refer to your owner's manual if in doubt.

But, like has been said elswhere, if you run with a blower or a turbo, the rules change ever so slightly. Again, refer to your owner's manual if in doubt.

megabitez

Reaction score
i warm mine up. remote start FTW LOL i start it when im about to leave by the time i normaly get to it. its good to go warmed up!

DoubleD

Reaction score
I start it up and let it run for a minute to make sure the oil has circulated, but after that i just drive slow until the motor is warmed up.

5000XD

Reaction score
I usually let it run 2-3 minutes just because it makes me feel better when I drive away.

Top Bottom