Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

east coast winter/ snow questions

cr$nXrunner

Reaction score
i just got stationed in new jersey recently and Im new to the eastcoast... Didnt seem to find any of my answers on google or searching through the forum ,but i had a couple questions for local XR owners....

-Does the 2005 model have rear window defrosters? i see these vents near the back window but i wasnt sure if it was for air to pass through...

-Im assuming my side mirrors dont either? unless their not working... lol

-Is leaving my urd Tcai on going to cause any problems with big snow storms? even with the hydroshield?

sorry if my questions are stupid but googling "does the 2005 xrunner have rear window defrosters" ends up sending me to a dealership site talking about other cars......

any help would be useful! thanks guys

Gators Taco

<a . href="http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/sho
Reaction score
I run 4 snow tires (toyo), no rear window defrost, no heated mirrors. I would put a cover on the front grill. Salt, sand and slush on that tcai, not good.

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
The truck doesn't have rear defrosters or vents, but its not really a concern since the window is vertical. Unless that is you get enough snow to fill the bed and over the window in which case defroster is the least of your worry.

That being said a brush and scrapper is all you need, and sadly the mirrors do not have defrosters...:thumbdown: if you really miss them aftermarket mirror defrosters can be had for about $150.

To be fully prepared for old man winter a set of snow tires work wonders over the summer rated stockers(many members seem to be happy replacing the the stock size tire with blizzaks, before I got a bbk I ran 16 inch steelies to get cheaper tires) a little bit of weight in the back does help and if you have a lock on your tonneau cover I find most freeze up so a little bottle of de-icer in the console never hurts!:top:

Gadget

Reaction score
The TCAI is fine in the snow.

There is a picture I posted here years ago with my grill completely iced over from driving in freezing rain. Just fine, but those stock tires really suck in Winter weather.

G

TommyXrunner

Reaction score
get a good set of winters and throw some weight in the back. i used to have a cheap set of winters and i got stuck heading up hills with a few inches of snow :thumbdown: i got a set of nokian Hakkapeliittas last winter and they have unbelievable grip on ice and i didn't even get them studded. also didn't get stuck on those same hills i did the year before :laugh: night and day difference!

autobodyX

Reaction score
I just shovel the snow from the drive into the bed of the truck. gives me weight when I need it and if it melts it is no longer needed anyway

*IrunnIt*

Reaction score
I don't think it snows enough in nj to get winter tires.

jwg256

Reaction score
I just shovel the snow from the drive into the bed of the truck. gives me weight when I need it and if it melts it is no longer needed anyway

I've been doin that with all my trucks, seems to be the best cause like the man says once it melts u don't need it anyway

justin13703

Reaction score
Buy an old jeep or something for cheap that way when the guy driving without winter tires slides into you you're not out a 15-20,000 dollar vehicle

RRCanuck

Reaction score
Buy an old jeep or something for cheap that way when the guy driving without winter tires slides into you you're not out a 15-20,000 dollar vehicle

Thats what I did, got myself a little Mazada Protege to smack off curbs for the winter. Its a decent little car actually, a lot nicer than my last beater (2000 Altima).

Murderface

Reaction score
I'm only located 30 minutes south west of u in Collingswood NJ which is close to Philly. Last year we had no snow to be worried about driving in, in fact it snowed twice all winter and the first time was around Halloween.

If u live on base I def wouldn't even worry about getting snö tires

CBRBob

Reaction score
Blizzaks in the back and suretrax if it gets bad. Never a problem in NJ

*IrunnIt*

Reaction score
We had one snow storm last year, plus when it snows it gets plowed. I'm not saying that snow tires are a waste of money or anything like that. But for where I live its just not worth it for me.

Limitless

Reaction score
Cheap way to do a snow tire setup is to get some rims off the 4 Cylinder tacoma and throw Blizzaks on them. I found a set of the rims for $300 on craigslist or you can probably pop over to TW or some other site to see if people will sell them. And Blizzaks for the 15" rims that are on the 4 cyl tacos are only like $70 a tire as opposed to $180 a tire for the 18" rims. Then when winter comes just swap rims real quick and be done with it. You even have the TPMS sensors if you want to get them reset for the other tires but thats a pain to do.

Top Bottom