Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Engine Bay

Xrunnerbjt

Reaction score
What do you guys use to clean your engine bays, polish or soap and water lol??:hmmmm2:

Stevenredx

Reaction score
I use car wash soap and an old wash mit. Lightly spray everything down with the hose and then wash everything i can reach and then rinse, sometimes a long soft bristle brush is good for the tight spots and some people will use plastic bags, aluminum foil or whatever to cover up the alternator and fuse boxes. After everything's dried I dress all the hoses, black plastic parts etc. with some Meguiars Mirror Glaze #40 Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner / Conditioner.

415F4GJ2WAL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Picture024.jpg

TitanRattler813

Reaction score
The one time I did mine, I mixed some car wash formula and water in a spray bottle. Spray a couple parts at a time, then wipe clean with shop towels (the blue ones). When it's all done, used some interior wipes on all the plastics and hoses.

This was after driving several thousand miles without ever cleaning. Looked pretty much new when it was all done

Stevenredx

Reaction score
The one time I did mine, I mixed some car wash formula and water in a spray bottle. Spray a couple parts at a time, then wipe clean with shop towels (the blue ones). When it's all done, used some interior wipes on all the plastics and hoses.

This was after driving several thousand miles without ever cleaning. Looked pretty much new when it was all done

That's another good point... if cleaning the engine bay isn't regularly maintained thing it may require some chemicals with a little more omphh to get everything looking good. A good all purpose cleaner diluted 50/50 can be big help. But the key is to "keep" it clean, it'll save you from a lot of work.

SickRedXRnr

"OK, Good Talk"
Reaction score
another fun tip.. use motor oil on the hoses. keeps them super shiny and lubricated. Chemicals work nicely too, but can eventually dry your hoses out. Oil, well.... is oil. OK good talk

braves011

"Crouching Tiger"
Reaction score
heres what Doug (DS) does with his engine bay and well if you seen pics of his its pretty epic how clean it stays.

Hahahaha I post pics of a MAP sensor and still get clean engine bay comments, I love it!!!

I haven't cleaned the bay in about a month...

I use:

1. Water
2. Simple Green
3. High Pressure Water
4. Filtered water to rinse
5. Microfiber Towel to wipe it all down/dry it all
6. Silicone Detailing Spray (Maxima SC1)
7. More microfiber action

The key is to maintain.

The silicone spray not only makes everything look great, it keeps crap from sticking to everything. When you hose it down the next time all the dirt rinses right off/wipes away.

xXLuckyiAMXx07

Reaction score
is there anything in particular on protecting when you hose it down??? thats where im falling in

BlAck_TAco

Reaction score
take armoral vinyal and spray it all over the engine bay. then take a aircompressor and blow it all off. looks damn good. takes like five minutes at the most

overdriven

Reaction score
Castrol Super Clean degreaser works wonders for tough dirtunder the hood. Works better than any wheel cleaner and, gets rid of the browning on tires too. Makes the tire shine last longer and look better when you get rid of the browning first. I use the armor all detailer foaming tire shine under the hood and on my tires.

Deviant

Reaction score
It'd be a good idea if you mask off your alternator, battery terminals, and any other electrical component you think might fry if you get it wet. Ballasts included. Aluminum foil is a good trick. It's ok if it gets wet, just dont' get it soaked

rich017

Reaction score
I always put a bag over my battery and alternator when I clean the engine bay. Just use a hose and a wash mitt with soap and water.

To make it look better than new I use Turtle Wax F-21. Stuff is amazing and will make anything shine!!!

gearhead899

Reaction score
micro fiber rag soaked in car wash soap and water. then dry with dry micro fiber rag. if im touching up... i just use quik detail spray :top:

Gabecules

Reaction score
Some nice tips, I am going to try it tomorrow. I am still a little nervous about spraying under the hood tho.

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
Uh oh...

I cant resist a chance to drop my pants!!! :laugh::laugh:

enginebaycarbon.jpg

enginebaycarbon2.jpg

SIMPLE GREEN & MAXIMA SC1 FTW!

firetuner911

Reaction score
after i wash the truck, i just dip one of those long handle soft bristle wheel brushes in the wash bucket, scrub everything down, rinse, dry with old soft cotton towel, then using a cheap wash sponge, i spray the sponge with black magic protectant and start wiping away, you can substitute the black magic for what ever, but i found that the brush sponge combo works the best. its quick, its clean and the sponge doesnt leave reside just sitting on things. the best part is the sponge and brush were less than $8 from wally world. enjoy :top:

Top Bottom