Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Engine Knock hits K2 - where's the oil?

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
(writing this from my iPad so it will be short)

2 months ago had passenger side cat go bad - replaced under warranty by Toyota. Afterward started noticing lots of soot around exhaust, never noticed that before. 2 weeks ago started noticing engine knock, check oil level - almost empty. Got oil and did immediate oil change. Probably got around 1 quart out of the engine when draining. Sounded a little better the next day but after a couple days the engine knock got much worse. Noticed no oil leaks except small amount around filter.

I was leaving for vacation so left the truck with Toyota to have them assess and diagnose while I was gone. Just talked to them and they said they removed the S/C belt to ensure the sound wasn't coming from the S/C. Simple assessment, the tech is thinking its a rod bearing on cylinder 6. Need to pull the engine to replace.

I asked if they had done a compressin check on the cylinders. He said no. So I'm having him change all of the plugs (time to do it anyway) and compression check each cylinder while doing it. I also asked if they had any ideas where the 3+ quarts of oil went... He said no. But that COULD have caused the first cat to go bad. I told him that they must find the cause for the oil burning.

Anything else I should have them look for? Any ideas what could be going on? This is my first major issue with this truck and I'm looking at a $2000 repair here (out of warranty). :frown: Good news to get while on an expensive vacation we planned 7 months ago.

Only mods are TRD CAI and MAPECU2 on engine.

Gadget

Reaction score
Sudden low oil level got Jason and I think David on their trucks also.

Very strange.

Running low oil level will definitely eat bearings up.

They are replacing the engine for $2000??

G

WallasX

Reaction score
That's cheap if there replacing the motor for 2000.

I check my oil level bow atleast once a week to make sure everything is good

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry for the confusion. Replace bearing estimate 21 hours at $94/hour. Anyone ever find the cause for Jason dumping oil?

Gadget

Reaction score
Are they going to have the crank shaft reworked also?

I think a better choice would be to replace the engine with a newer used one. Very few people these days can take an engine apart and put it back together properly and you end up with a bigger mess.

You can get a good used one for less than that I will bet. We can have a meet at your place and drink beer and replace the engine.

Be a good time to install some cam gears and a UCON....

G

RRX

Reaction score
Well I am diesel mechanic and a Cummins dealership. Sounds like to me that your piston rings are shoot seeing as you are burning a lot of oil. I would have them do a blow by test. If you have a bad knock and bad bearings I am sure that you will need more than just bearing. I have seen a few engine on ebay USED but with onlt around 39000 mile for a couple of grand.

Last edited:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
How many miles does it have?

When they replaced the cat, did they for some reason drain the oil? o_O

They need to do a leak down test as well.

Last edited:

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
How many miles does it have?

When they replaced the cat, did they for some reason drain the oil? o_O

They need to do a leak down test as well.

I asked them that as well and the manager told me he saw no reason to drain the oil while replacing the CAT but he never confirmed one way or the other. I had done an oil change exactly one week before taking it in to have the cat replaced so I know it was full when it arrived at their shop.

What is a leak down test? They are charging me hourly for the diagnostic so I have to choose what I want them to do carefully so I don't spend $500 on tests. But I also want to know what happened and how to make sure it isn't gonna happen again if I'm gonna drop $2-3,000.

KETCHUP

Reaction score
Sucks brotha. Honestly I agree with G. My 3rd motor APR did a complete stock rebuild. I wouldnt recommend mixing new partial enternals with the used ones u have. I had a catastrophic engine failure in my car in Germany. They replaced the short block and used the good oarts of the valve train. End result is less than a year later i startes having problems again.

Hope it works out bro.

BSP06XRU

Old Member
Reaction score
:ahhhhh: Ouch!

Good luck with the X and hope it's not as painful/expensive as it sounds! :top:

BTW, happy belated birthday to you and Krista! :smile:

Murderface

Reaction score
Sucks brotha. Honestly I agree with G. My 3rd motor APR did a complete stock rebuild. I wouldnt recommend mixing new partial enternals with the used ones u have. I had a catastrophic engine failure in my car in Germany. They replaced the short block and used the good oarts of the valve train. End result is less than a year later i startes having problems again.

Hope it works out bro.

Ya but u drive ur shit like u stole it:eviltongue:

Klint sorry to hear this bro. A leak down test they will take the plug out and apply shop air to the cylinder, if the pressure drops dramatically then the rings are shot

X-roller

Reaction score
wow at 58k the only cause of low oil should be user errors (Whomever did your oil change last)... I wouldn't doubt that the last person that did the oil change caused this to happen... my truck ran fine with about 3 quarts of oil in it until I took a sharp turn and bam... knock. I learned to change the oil when it asks now... I went a little over a month after the maint reqd light came on so I ate quite a bit of oil I doubt you ate 4 quarts of oil and didn't realize it unless you did what I did and didn't check your oil level... F/I set up will eat a lot of oil so it's best to stay on top of it...

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
As most of you guys know, I drive my truck very conservatively and the engine is not heavily modified so this failure is a bit of a shock to me.

I just called the dealer and they're going to get the tech working on my truck to call me so we can discuss. Not sure that I'll know WTF he's saying since I don't know spit about engines but I'll relay what you guys have given me. Thank you all for quick replies and help!

X-roller

Reaction score
save yourself the headache k2 and just replace the engine like everyone else said...

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
wow at 58k the only cause of low oil should be user errors (Whomever did your oil change last)... I wouldn't doubt that the last person that did the oil change caused this to happen... my truck ran fine with about 3 quarts of oil in it until I took a sharp turn and bam... knock. I learned to change the oil when it asks now... I went a little over a month after the maint reqd light came on so I ate quite a bit of oil I doubt you ate 4 quarts of oil and didn't realize it unless you did what I did and didn't check your oil level... F/I set up will eat a lot of oil so it's best to stay on top of it...

I have done every oil change on this truck. And like I said, the oil was changed a week before the cat was replaced and about 5-6 weeks before engine knock. No oil leaks seen anywhere on the engine, only a small amount around the oil filter. I'll admit that I don't check my oil levels. But I change oil every 3-4,000 miles. My routine commute is 16 miles round trip to work each day. Not much opportunity to even burn oil.

save yourself the headache k2 and just replace the engine like everyone else said...

An unexpected $2000+ expense on a single income household of 5 is a headache regardless of how it is addressed.

Last edited by a moderator:

X-roller

Reaction score
I have done every oil change on this truck. And like I said, the oil was changed a week before the cat was replaced and about 5-6 weeks before engine knock. No oil leaks seen anywhere on the engine, only a small amount around the oil filter. I'll admit that I don't check my oil levels. But I change oil every 3-4,000 miles. My routine commute is 16 miles round trip to work each day. Not much opportunity to even burn oil.

An unexpected $2000+ expense on a single income household of 5 is a headache regardless of how it is addressed.

then you shouldn't have a reason to lose almost 4 quarts of oil.... if the truck ate that much oil it's best to replace it regardless then if that is really the problem... something caused the oil to disappear so if it's not leaking then it's eating it... replacing the bearings is not going to fix your problem...

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Another friend brought up an interesting idea. When I did the oil change the week before taking the truck into the dealer the amount drained seemed consistent with every other oil change I've ever done. So the truck was clearly not burning oil at that point in time. Is it possible that someone from the dealership took the supercharged X-Runner out for a test drive after replacing the cat and did some kind of major damage, like downshifting into redline? Is this a possibility? I've had that charger on for 3.5 years and never a problem until right after I take it to the dealership for engine work.

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know how you'd prove it, but it does seem a bit odd to go from not burning oil at all to being 4qts low at the next change....

X-roller

Reaction score
Another friend brought up an interesting idea. When I did the oil change the week before taking the truck into the dealer the amount drained seemed consistent with every other oil change I've ever done. So the truck was clearly not burning oil at that point in time. Is it possible that someone from the dealership took the supercharged X-Runner out for a test drive after replacing the cat and did some kind of major damage, like downshifting into redline? Is this a possibility? I've had that charger on for 3.5 years and never a problem until right after I take it to the dealership for engine work.

even if he did it wouldn't guzzle up 4 quarts of oil in a single 5 minute fun drive... there is either something fishy going on or this motor is severely hurt... it can change drastically from one oil change to another if the motor went to poo.

Top Bottom