Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Engine Management and Turbo Questions

SUODRAXAH

Reaction score
Ok. Well it seems like the TRD s/c is n e v e r coming out... So if it's not the TRD s/c, I much rather go with a turbo. I just have some questions...

I was thinking about running a GT35R with a .63 A/R. Would this be a good match for the X? I kinda feel like a .63 will spool too late. Also what are you turbo guys doing about engine management? I'm looking to spend like $6-7000 installed and would like to know if that's a realistic price... Thanks alot.

MORT-RUNNER

Reaction score
Ummmm...If I went turbo, I would definitly think about changing out engine internals. Pointless to have a turbo on a truck with a blown motor cause you didn't do it right the first time. Again...it all depends on how much boost you have. If you have it boost at 5k and redline is 6k then it's pointless. If you turbo...raise the rev limiter.:top:

tacoturbo

Reaction score
The TRD S/C will be released in 2 to 3 weeks. My parts dept. will be getting the part numbers soon from the distributor. Yeah,yeah. I know all you nay sayers say it's too late or it'll never happen. It will be out. The S/C for the Tundra 5.7 will also be relesed shortly. It was being developed alongside the 4.0 unit. Lotsa XR owners who bash TRD seem to forget that the S/C needs to be warrantiable and CARB certified to market properly. The unit that URD puts out is very well done but they did not have to go thru the expense and time to get it certified. Personally, I've done a turbo on a Tacoma. Because of the low redline I would do a S/C. I think it's more streetable for a daily driver, but thats just my .2 worth. Boost is good no matter how you get it. :top:

Deviant

Reaction score
As for engine management I think you have 2 options. Somehow integrate the URD FTC product or go full standalone (Haltech, AEM, Megasquirt, etc)

Since the x has such a small rev limit, I would go with a semi small turbo that will spool quick enough but will output enough power. I haven't studied turbo sizing and what not in depth though so I can't help you with that.

As for beefing up your engine, I would do that regardless of any type of forced induction you use. Even if I were to run the TRD charger or even the URD, rods and pistons will definately be something to look into. Don't boost to high on our stock motor as the parts are fairly weak. You'd prob be able to turn 5 - 8 psi safely though.... I would think.

If I remember correctly guys running the STS system would start spooling at around 2500 rpms. So that gives you a decent amount of play as to where your powerband is

Helimx

"Dutch Rudder Master"
Reaction score
The TRD S/C will be released in 2 to 3 weeks. My parts dept. will be getting the part numbers soon from the distributor. Yeah,yeah. I know all you nay sayers say it's too late or it'll never happen. It will be out. The S/C for the Tundra 5.7 will also be relesed shortly. It was being developed alongside the 4.0 unit. Lotsa XR owners who bash TRD seem to forget that the S/C needs to be warrantiable and CARB certified to market properly. The unit that URD puts out is very well done but they did not have to go thru the expense and time to get it certified. Personally, I've done a turbo on a Tacoma. Because of the low redline I would do a S/C. I think it's more streetable for a daily driver, but thats just my .2 worth. Boost is good no matter how you get it. :top:

no offense man,,but you're about the bazillionth person to say 2 or 3 weeks.. hell, i heard it a yr and ahalf ago,and he said the same thing as you,carb certfy,blah blah... but if it does come out,sweet. but most here wont believe it until they see it in print,or at a dealership,or even better,,,on THEIR truck...

SUODRAXAH

Reaction score
As for engine management I think you have 2 options. Somehow integrate the URD FTC product or go full standalone (Haltech, AEM, Megasquirt, etc)

Since the x has such a small rev limit, I would go with a semi small turbo that will spool quick enough but will output enough power. I haven't studied turbo sizing and what not in depth though so I can't help you with that.

As for beefing up your engine, I would do that regardless of any type of forced induction you use. Even if I were to run the TRD charger or even the URD, rods and pistons will definately be something to look into. Don't boost to high on our stock motor as the parts are fairly weak. You'd prob be able to turn 5 - 8 psi safely though.... I would think.

If I remember correctly guys running the STS system would start spooling at around 2500 rpms. So that gives you a decent amount of play as to where your powerband is

I was looking at MapECU. Ive read about boosted trucks on CT using that. I don't think you can turn up the boost too much with the TRD charger because I doubt the air/water intercooler will be able to remove the heat created from a roots type blower pushing high boost... Thats if TRD makes it possible to upgrade pullies

Deviant

Reaction score
I was looking at the MAP ECU and MAP ECUII but guys were having trouble getting the splicing into our ECU's to work. Haven't been keeping up on that thread though so I'm not sure if any of them had success. The boost for the TRD chargers is preset and I'm not to sure if you could turn it up. Then again with a water/air intercooler I wouldn't run it to high anyway... Once the liquid heats up it won't be doing much cooling

SUODRAXAH

Reaction score
I was looking at the MAP ECU and MAP ECUII but guys were having trouble getting the splicing into our ECU's to work. Haven't been keeping up on that thread though so I'm not sure if any of them had success. The boost for the TRD chargers is preset and I'm not to sure if you could turn it up. Then again with a water/air intercooler I wouldn't run it to high anyway... Once the liquid heats up it won't be doing much cooling

turbo....front mount.... Huh? did some one say something??? What??

Top Bottom