Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Engine Oil Cooler

808XR10

Reaction score
so the oil will just circulate on its own through the radiator? ill chck that out in ebay..thanks guys

the oem looks clean but torspd is right...

XRnRElite77

Reaction score
yes the oil flows through the heat exchanger and back to the filter. its the same design as the URD s/c the oil is removed from the application and allowed to cool then put back in and the cycle starts again. like i said i see about 12 degree lower temp.

HookedX

Reaction score
what exactly does this mod do for the truck, just curious?

>.< nvm should have read more pages to the end before i posted lol

808XR10

Reaction score
from what i understand, the cooler the engine is runnin, the better it is. also better engine life. idk something like that. id do this mod cuz i know it will help my motor

XRnRElite77

Reaction score
^^^^

exactly, for example, i am running an efan, aftermarket oil cooler, apr x-1 (170 degree thermostat) and URD MKI kit at 8 psi and under WOT the outside temp today was 99 degrees heat index at 116 i was running 177 solid and it never even sitting went about that. Its one of the best mods you can do whether oem or aftermarked custom its better for the life of the oil and engine life in gen.

HookedX

Reaction score
^^^^

exactly, for example, i am running an efan, aftermarket oil cooler, apr x-1 (170 degree thermostat) and URD MKI kit at 8 psi and under WOT the outside temp today was 99 degrees heat index at 116 i was running 177 solid and it never even sitting went about that. Its one of the best mods you can do whether oem or aftermarked custom its better for the life of the oil and engine life in gen.

good to know, thanks

firetuner911

Reaction score
the only thing about an oil cooler is you need to make sure the oil is still maintaining the proper viscosity after running through the cooler, most oils are engineered to be at the proper viscosity when at 195* deg. another nice feature is the ability to add a secondary filter for extra protection. definitely a worth while low cost mod that serves multiple uses and allows future expansion.

redrockets4

Reaction score
Hey, guys! This is my first post on this forum and I wanted mine to be a contributing one. I come from the world of twin turbo'd audi's, a foreign land to most. In this land I come from, we have figured out the oil cooler situation and ways to piece together very good set-ups without breaking the wallet.

Some back story. The cheapest oil cooler setup available from a reputable company for the B5 S4 is around $550. I've pieced together my setup that keeps my oil temps lower than most for ~$100. The options are limited on the B5 S4 because of the very restricted space.

**Sorry, guys. I don't have 10 posts yet, so they won't let me post any URL's... lame. Go to summit racings website to see the part numbers I put up.

Onto my little bit of research on the X-runner. Well, I bought mine about 3 weeks ago and love it so far. When I go F/I, I'll want an oil cooler for that extra bit of insurance. so, looking through summit's catalog, I have found the thread size for the oil filter on this engine is 3/4-16 in as shown in the following ad for a K&N oil filter:

KNN-HP-1002

hayden offers a sandwich plate to fit aid size for $29.95 as seen here:

HDA-205

with this, you can route the lines any way you want. you can use the provided NPT fittings or you can use something similar to this and run 30°, 45°, 60°, or 90° elbows and make your own hoses. they have -6AN, -8AN, etc. available and you can order to your needs (example in the second URL):

SUM-220846
(They offer cheaper, this is just an example)
AER-FBM1442

You'll need some hose. you can go socketless hose (for push on barb connections)

AER-FCV0610

or stainless braided hose:

AER-FCA0606

The hose is offered in various lengths and I think can come with fittings already on it.

And finally, you'll need a heat exchanger. You can go to the junk yard and pull one from some older cars (i think a lot of volvos have them). They come in so many different sizes, you can get whatever your heart desires. Here's an example of one:

FLX-4110

OR, you can just buy a universal kit for $96:

HDA-459

NOTE: I AM NOTE SURE IF THIS KIT FITS BECAUSE THEY DO NOT SPECIFY THE ADAPTER PLATE THREAD.

I hope this gives some decent information. I don't have permission yet to post a pic yet, so

DISCLAIMER: I am not responsible for anything you do to your car.

Top Bottom