Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Exhaust Y-Pipe advice

indyxr

Reaction score
i have a magnaFlow exhaust and stock header and y pipe. I would like advice on either the URD "Pipe Bomb" or the URD competition y-pipe.

ive heard some bad reviews on the pipe bomb and want to know if anyone out there has either on their trucks

i dont know which one to get but i do want to get one so i can get rid of my 2 cats and im sure my truck would sound ALOT better and would drive better

so can anyone point me in a direction and give me some inside on what to get :dontknow:

thank you all! :smile:

LSKustumz

Reaction score
i have a magnaFlow exhaust and stock header and y pipe. I would like advice on either the URD "Pipe Bomb" or the URD competition y-pipe.

ive heard some bad reviews on the pipe bomb and want to know if anyone out there has either on their trucks

i dont know which one to get but i do want to get one so i can get rid of my 2 cats and im sure my truck would sound ALOT better and would drive better

so can anyone point me in a direction and give me some inside on what to get :dontknow:

Do the headers first. Then work your way down. The headers will yield more power than either of the y-pipes.

Even though a N/A truck will benefit from the exhaust being less restrictive, a F/I will take more advantage of the y-pipe AND headers.

Plus headers have a bling factor... :biggrin:

indyxr

Reaction score
My only personal issue with that is i dont wanna go towards headers just yet... im working the opposite way

46&2_X

Reaction score
My only personal issue with that is i dont wanna go towards headers just yet... im working the opposite way

How come? :hmmmm2:

There's no disadvantage to going either way I think. You'll gain more HP and get a better sound.

But going Header back, will yield higher numbers faster, than the other way. But in the end the numbers will end up being the same so.... :dontknow:.

Yotaman

"Shortbus"
Reaction score
I know the Xs w/ the DTLTs and URD Y pipe saound a lil raspy...:dontknow: W/ either a magnaflow or URD exhaust.

The Xs w/ the DTLTs and stock Y pipe sound good and still perform great...:top: Same Cat-Backs

I'm personally gonna stick w/ the stock Y pipe, until I go F/I.

eXuser01

Reaction score

its the Doug Thorley Y-pipe but only urd sells it lol

if u dont want headers yet go wiht urd y pipe its expensive:thumpdown: but its stainless steel :top: and it will sound sexy :adore::laugh:

performance isnt a big diff between the two maybe 1-2 hp diff the resonators with supress some rasp but other than that with the stock headers u wont get much rasp

Spyder327

Reaction score
I had the URD y-pipe on mine for awhile and loved the sound, but i swapped it back to stock when i got the long tube headers because it was too loud and raspy for me

braves011

"Crouching Tiger"
Reaction score
I had the URD y-pipe on mine for awhile and loved the sound, but i swapped it back to stock when i got the long tube headers because it was too loud and raspy for me

do you still the URD pipe?

Xer0 SiN

Reaction score
with the urd y pipe and stock headers...regardless of brand of exhaust...your truck will sound really good...trust me...im in that boat right now...i still have my stock headers...im thinking about going shorties...straight up

LSKustumz

Reaction score
Just keep in mind that it'll be much more of a hassle to install those than it is the long tubes.

I have heard installation costs from $400-600, JUST for the installation, and there is no going back, the LT's you can put back all your stock stuff if you need to. :top:

Xer0 SiN

Reaction score
400-600 for install?? :ahhhhh: yeesh...maybe not then LOL...maybe long tubes and throw ANOTHER muffler in lieu of trd exhaust lol

LSKustumz

Reaction score
400-600 for install?? :ahhhhh: yeesh...maybe not then LOL...maybe long tubes and throw ANOTHER muffler in lieu of trd exhaust lol

And this is not an arbitrary number. This is because they have to take the headers off, cut them VERY carefully, then re-install them, fit up the cats to headers, tack them.Then un-install them AGAIN, and weld them completely, to which TIG is the only way you can do it (which costs more money as you welders well know), then install AGAIN. And then check for leaks. That's a total of 2 installs and uninstalls. And that's if their good to, if they mis-align them then they wont fit up to your y-pipe correctly. They don't have fixtures like we do.

Super Werty

Reaction score
I got my jba shorties installed for $300

but now I've got the long tubes and Iceman has the shorties on his truck

indyxr

Reaction score
ok well i odered the competition y-pipe from urd should be in tomorrow
des anyone know how the installation will be.... is this somethign i can do my self or need to take somewhere :hmmmm2:

Vecte

"Fluffy"
Reaction score
ok well i odered the competition y-pipe from urd should be in tomorrow
des anyone know how the installation will be.... is this somethign i can do my self or need to take somewhere :hmmmm2:

You will be able to do it your self. Just need to remove the bolts and senors on the stock y-pipe, then bolt the new y-pipe in its place.

5000XD

Reaction score
I got the urd exhaust and y pipe, did the install myself without a lift in about 90 minutes. Just take your time.

Will be getting the DTLT myself, still wonder how bad this rasp really is, I will just see for myself I guess.

indyxr

Reaction score
without a lift??? yeah that cant happen with mine.... i need jack and stands with this :smile:
thanks guys :rock:

5000XD

Reaction score
without a lift??? yeah that cant happen with mine.... i need jack and stands with this :smile:
thanks guys :rock:

thats all you need! good luck and be sure to let us know how it went :top:

Top Bottom