Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

FAQ: How Much Oil?

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There has been much discussion about how much oil to put in the X-Runner. I have heard 4.5 quarts, 4.8 quarts and 6.0 quarts.

Let this thread be the final discussion and determination of the true correct amount.

Speak up and please back your numbers with some kind of data or information source. :top:

XRLover25

Reaction score
i did an oil change, 4 and a half for me, and oil has been a good level ever since (500 miles since).

Spyder327

Reaction score
4.8qts with filter change
4.4qts without filter change
dry fill is 5.9qts

xmoney

Reaction score
Step 1 - Unscrew your oil plug. Drain oil completely out of truck
Step 2 - Replace Oil Plug
Step 3 - Remove Oil Filter and replace with new filter
Step 4 - Replace old oil with new oil. Insure you have 6 quarts ready to go. Pour 4.5 quarts into engine. Move to next step.
Step 5 - Crank engine breafly to fill oil filter with oil.
Step 6 - Pull oil measuring stick out to check oil levels. If levels are not up to the full level mark, continue to step 7. Othwise, replace fill check stick and close hood.
Step 7 - Add oil till oil level reaches the full level mark on oil stick.

yea yea yea, i know...im being a smart !@# lol

Stevenredx

Reaction score
I have tried debating this face to face with some (no names mentioned :laugh: )... i really don't know what the correct answer is.... imma say were all correct :biggrin:

Oh yeah... I put in 4.8 qts :top:

Hanjob

Reaction score
I heard this somewhere, but what if you get 5qts and then pour roughly a 1/5 of a quart in the oil filter then pour the remaining 4.8 in? I remember it being something about so "the oil filter starts with oil in it already" :dontknow:

DGXR

Reaction score
i used to do that w/ my prelude but the x oil filter is facing down so unless you flip the truck to put it in, I dont see anyone doing that w/out making a big mess.

project-c2

Reaction score
I used almost 5.0 qts when I did my O/C. SO I guess 4.8 is on the money.

Hanjob

Reaction score
i used to do that w/ my prelude but the x oil filter is facing down so unless you flip the truck to put it in, I dont see anyone doing that w/out making a big mess.

you have no idea how strong I am.

4g63lover

Reaction score
We always put 5.8 qts in all of the 4.0L 1GR's that come into our shop. Always right on the line on the dipstick too.

meanx

Reaction score
4.8 is good 5 is good but I'm not going more than 5

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
We always put 5.8 qts in all of the 4.0L 1GR's that come into our shop. Always right on the line on the dipstick too.

I can see that possibly on the ones that don't have the shallow lower oil pan. Most PreRunners/4x4/FJ's. Not on the XRunner though. Unless it has a Coupe oil pan, or lower oil pan spacer.

I fill up to 6 on mine, but I have extra oil lines and what not.

Factory XRunners need to be at the top dot on the stick. A a safety measure. Depending on size of oil filter, it is usually 5quarts.

4g63lover

Reaction score
hmmm... learn something new everyday. Makes sense though. we don't usually get xrunners coming in so I didn't know they had shallow oilpans compared to the 4x4 trucks. Good info to know when I do the first oil change on my X.

Top Bottom