Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Forced Cold Air Intake

Edgeman

Reaction score
I don't think water will be a problem at all. It's at a slope. It's on one side of the grill. The MAF is not right there and you gotta think that it's rain drops and not a stream you are going through. So even if water does get in there it will most likely end up in the bottom of the air box or tube and not even reach the filter, let alone the MAF

Just wondering about modding the box to make it completely foolproof... Maybe drill a hole in the lowest part of the box to drain any accumulated water? If you want to take it a step further, tap the hole & run a hose to drain the water (that would be severe overkill...lol) Maybe place a shield that partially wraps around the filter in the box to stop rail drops from hitting the filter...

Yeah, this is definitely overkill, for a problem you probably won't encounter. Any water vapor ingested into your engine will just blow through...don't any damage unless the engine is running when you drive it into a lake....lol

I think it's a great idea, with outstanding execution. A++ :top:

Coupe

Reaction score
Thanks for the props. I did the water hose blast when it was new. With the hose pointed in just the right spot, full blast, you can get some water in the box. Very little water. It will drain out the original intake that goes to the fender. Under normal rain or a car wash, it never sees any water.

I need to get off my ass (not whooty) and make a nice bracket for it, where it goes through the core support.

Wayne R

Reaction score
Mark it, disassemble it, take it out, and put it back together. Take to a Molder to get the basic shape and make it one-piece.

When can we expect production and subsequent sale to the Consumer?.....:biggrin:

Looks good, Coupe.....:top:

T0LLPHR33

"Catwoman"
Reaction score
Mark it, disassemble it, take it out, and put it back together. Take to a Molder to get the basic shape and make it one-piece.

When can we expect production and subsequent sale to the Consumer?.....:biggrin:

Looks good, Coupe.....:top:

wayne I already asked james (coupe) to make me 1 but unfortunately everyone will cut their holes (for intake tube to behind the grille) in the similar place but not the exact placing that he has cut his. due to that the fitment would be off give or take an inch...

I've been procrastinating this job long enough and still acquiring extra parts. but as soon as it warms up a litte I will do the Coupe CAI Mod...:rockon:

vinx-runner

Reaction score
nicely done!! i will keep this thread also, just incase i go this route in the future.:top:

BSP06XRU

Old Member
Reaction score
Because you're N/A, I guess it wouldn't help to close the fender hole to keep the air from the front from going out that way.

Since this mod is just for the cold air and not for the "ram" effect, how much colder is the air now compared with the stock TRD intake?

Coupe

Reaction score
Because you're N/A, I guess it wouldn't help to close the fender hole to keep the air from the front from going out that way.

Since this mod is just for the cold air and not for the "ram" effect, how much colder is the air now compared with the stock TRD intake?

In the heat of a Houston summer, the stock TRD could see +8~+10 degrees over ambient.

After the mod, ambient ~ +1 degree over ambient.

After a sustained idle (like at a stop light), temps will rise to +10 degrees, but drops off quickly once you start moving.

Temps measured with a scan gauge.

BlAck_TAco

Reaction score
best way to make a ram air intake that i can think of is to get a volant ram air(not the cai but the seperate ram air) and conjoin (the intake cones with a hose coming from them), that with a short cai.. it would make for a ram air style and it would look nice :)

estimated cost of 200$ = volant ram + 40 shucks intake w/ hose adapter

Top Bottom