Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Front tires rubbing ? Might want to check this out.

joshxrmora

Reaction score
Hey guys this will be my first contribution to the site so sorry if its a repost, couldn't find anything in the search bar resulting in the same info tho.

So as you know a bigger set of wheels looks great on the X. First problem many people run into though, Soon as you put a set of 20"s on your truck the inside edge of your front tires are now rubbing agaist your front stabilizing bars when steering at full range. inorder to prevent this i recently bought some 1.5" spacers that i installed all round, front and back, makes the truck look more aggressive and handle the corners even steadier. So the problem was fixed!!! Or so i thought. Seems as if my spacers were just a bit to big at 1.5" beacuse now the rear of my front wheels were rubbing on the outside edge against that large buldge we have on our wheel well coveres. I thought to myself, why is there a huge bulge there it sucks. if it weren't there it would clear perfectly. So i got under my truck and started looking around, eventually taking the side skirts and the front fender shroud off. After this I removed the plastic clips holding the plastic wheel well gaurd and low and behold a small square metal brace which has no purpose other than creating a mating face for these fasteners. (dum dum dumm dum dummmmmm). 3 bolts hold these brackets to the frame on either side. after removing this junk i then had to use a dremel cutter and remove part of my wheel well gaurd and tadah, Problem completely fixed. Im thinking i got enough room to go to a 45 or 50 mm side wall next time i get some frest tires. For those interested i can take some photos of this process if you would like.

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like more of a rim and tire fitment issue than 20" rim issue. I run 20's (8.5" width ,+25 offset) w/ 255/35/20 Nitto 555s plus the XII Performance Drop Coils and Mono Leafs. I have no rubbing issues at all. What size tires are you trying to run?

That aside, post up some pics once you've got your post count up. Just because I'm not having an issue doesn't mean others won't run into it.

gearhead899

Reaction score
im in for pics. Id love to run a small spacer in front to sit a bit more flush but I don't know if it will happen since I tuck tire lol

joshxrmora

Reaction score
Im sitting on some 275/40/20's. They are nice cuz the meatier tire gives a smoother ride. but yea ill get some pics of it tommorow. Do i have to have a post criteria to post pictures?

gearhead899

Reaction score
Im sitting on some 275/40/20's. They are nice cuz the meatier tire gives a smoother ride. but yea ill get some pics of it tommorow. Do i have to have a post criteria to post pictures?

yeah I believe its 10 posts

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score

This is the reason you have rubbing issues not the fact that you're running 20s. Your overall tire diameter is more than 6% larger than stock. FYI it's standard practice to stay within 3% of OEM to reduce the potential for brake failure. All that extra rotating mass puts additional stress on you brake system.

Gadget

Reaction score
Yea, post up some pictures.

Where in Southern Maryland are you?

What other mods do you have on your truck?

G

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
Buried somewhere in my first build thread should be pictures of my truck with 18x10+22s alll around. Rear sat flush, and with a bit of neg camber, and a 1" spacer, so did my front. I didint have any clearance issues till I installed my quick steer knuckles. Had to go to 18x9's up front.

So yah, wheel spacers are nothing new...

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think the point of the thread is the spacers. I think it's to point out the part he removed to create the clearance. :top:

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
I don't think the point of the thread is the spacers. I think it's to point out the part he removed to create the clearance. :top:

Oh got it, It might be similar to what Clifford did. Come to think of it, I had to remove my front fender liners.

Yah I think pics will help...

joshxrmora

Reaction score
Yea, post up some pictures.

Where in Southern Maryland are you?

What other mods do you have on your truck?

G

I reside in St. Marys/Calvert C. we've actually met before right after i installed your stage 3 clutch and flywheel kit. Other than wheels and a gaylord lid, not many mods. really want the whole urd exhaust set up with the new equal length headers tho. just gotta fatten my wallet first. Also got some questions for you about a transmission rebuild. But as i said wallets thin as of late. For those interested in pictures im taking them tonight and possibly can link to imgur. (since i haven't posted enough)

joshxrmora

Reaction score
Hey guys im posting a link to the pictures i took. Feel free to have a look...

you might have to copy paste into your address bar due to my post count being under 10

..... imgur.com/a/GiW9T

RS2008XR

Reaction score
joshxrmora you've motivated me to make a try at this again. I have the same situation with mine. I also have 275/40/20's up front and I'm lowered. Front wheel/tire looks decent with the 32 offset, however the setup looks better with the addition of a 3/4" spacer. With the spacer I get some rubbing going on so I too looked for the source and saw the two useless humps inside the wheel well. Considered taking them off completely and cutting off the part of the liner but preferred to keep the full liner to keep the junk out of the crevices. I did try to flatten them a bit to create a bit more clearance but this didn't work and I reinstalled everything back and took the spacers off. Now I may try to cutout the humps in the liner and rivet in a flat piece then silicone the surrounding.

joshxrmora

Reaction score
joshxrmora you've motivated me to make a try at this again. I have the same situation with mine. I also have 275/40/20's up front and I'm lowered. Front wheel/tire looks decent with the 32 offset, however the setup looks better with the addition of a 3/4" spacer. With the spacer I get some rubbing going on so I too looked for the source and saw the two useless humps inside the wheel well. Considered taking them off completely and cutting off the part of the liner but preferred to keep the full liner to keep the junk out of the crevices. I did try to flatten them a bit to create a bit more clearance but this didn't work and I reinstalled everything back and took the spacers off. Now I may try to cutout the humps in the liner and rivet in a flat piece then silicone the surrounding.

Hell yea man glad my first post is proving to be useful. As u mentioned I've planed on covering the area that is now exposed. I've already cut and formed a piece of 1/16" sheet Metal to cover it. I plan on rhino lining it before I fasten it up there so that way it will be harder to tell its been modified

Gadget

Reaction score
I reside in St. Marys/Calvert C. we've actually met before right after i installed your stage 3 clutch and flywheel kit. Other than wheels and a gaylord lid, not many mods. really want the whole urd exhaust set up with the new equal length headers tho. just gotta fatten my wallet first. Also got some questions for you about a transmission rebuild. But as i said wallets thin as of late. For those interested in pictures im taking them tonight and possibly can link to imgur. (since i haven't posted enough)

That is perfect.

I need a truck that is stock to dyno test exhaust systems on.

Call me when you can so we can get things setup.

You will get a smoking deal on exhaust parts.

877-887-3872 x3

G

joshxrmora

Reaction score
That is perfect.

I need a truck that is stock to dyno test exhaust systems on.

Call me when you can so we can get things setup.

You will get a smoking deal on exhaust parts.

877-887-3872 x3

G

Just made my day G. I have my stock rims aswell if a stock truck is wat your looking for. Other than your flywheel and a K&N air intake I'm bone stock now that I have since Replaced your stage II clutch with stock. Let's just say once it was installed I got addicted to launching at EVERY possible opportunity.

Top Bottom