Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Fuel Additives

XKruiser

Reaction score
dunno if this thread belongs here...but what additives, if any, do u guys use? i've been wondering if i need/should use something since i only run the x on the weekends. just don't want anything building up in there. also, if u guys use anything that improves efficiency/fuel economy/power...any advice would b awesome.

TahoesHateMe

Reaction score
Just use good water remover for when it sits for a while. Pour it in the tank. Make sure you still don't go more then 6 months for an oil change reguardless of miles. Water can build up from condinsation. Since it sits longer it builds up more without being boiled out through the breather like a daily driver.

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
just driving it on the weekends is fine my friend.

I don't like stabil products.

BlackCat

Reaction score
If you can burn a tank of fuel in a month, you're probably fine. Just make sure to burn the whole tank off, not a half tank and then refill. And since you live in HI, gas line freeze won't be a problem.

As far as gas additives to boost performance ... it's generally all marketing hoopla. In terms of octane booster, yeah, they'll boost octane, but you'll need so many cans of the stuff of many brands of octane boost that you might as well just fill your tank exclusively with octane boost to get a measurable effect (which, I'm sure, probably has negative consequences of its own).

The only real advantage to some gas additives is in terms of detergent effects, to help keep injectors clean and whatnot. I know there is debate in that department as well, though, in terms of how effective these products are and which ones are best. And many brands of gasoline already contain these additives at the pump (some brands more than others), making autoparts store bottles of additive somewhat moot.

TahoesHateMe

Reaction score
So in other words, go drive the shit out of it and it'll be fine lol.

sixstringdave

Reaction score
If you can burn a tank of fuel in a month, you're probably fine. Just make sure to burn the whole tank off, not a half tank and then refill. And since you live in HI, gas line freeze won't be a problem.

As far as gas additives to boost performance ... it's generally all marketing hoopla. In terms of octane booster, yeah, they'll boost octane, but you'll need so many cans of the stuff of many brands of octane boost that you might as well just fill your tank exclusively with octane boost to get a measurable effect (which, I'm sure, probably has negative consequences of its own).

The only real advantage to some gas additives is in terms of detergent effects, to help keep injectors clean and whatnot. I know there is debate in that department as well, though, in terms of how effective these products are and which ones are best. And many brands of gasoline already contain these additives at the pump (some brands more than others), making autoparts store bottles of additive somewhat moot.

This!! ^^^

I work for an oil company at a fuel distribution terminal(biggest one in north america) and i can tell you that all you need is to buy quality fuel. You shouldnt ever need additives over the counter at all! And STAY AWAY from octane booster crap. It will say that it "raises octane by one full point!!" Hahaha! yea, it will raise it from 92.0 to 92.1. And most of them dont do that depending on the amount of gasoline to 'magical' additive you use.

mixplate_xr

Reaction score

hella helpful man, nice to see someone clear this up. thanks

rich017

Reaction score
As long as you burn a tank every month you will be fine. Make sure that when you drive it on the weekends you get the truck up to operating temps and drive it for at least 15 minutes at operating temperature.

Also adding stabil to your gas is good too. We use it in our boats and it does work. Put it in the truck every now and then too

stockredx

Reaction score
Everybody has their opinion on this subject....... Mine is: SeaFoam works well as a stabilizer, dryer, and cleaner; when the instructions are followed exactly as written. It will not do anything for the octane though. Octane adds no power or cleaning ability what so ever, All it does is help prevent knock or "pinging" in high compression engines or very hot running engines.

XKruiser

Reaction score
thanks for all the input. :top: i run through a tank a month so i guess i should be fine. plus i only fill the x up with shell v-power (where you guys fill up at?). i've had seafoam and stabil recommended to me from friends and co-workers so i'll probably check them out at the very least.

X-Runner_R1

Reaction score
I've use 44K from B&G products, it works really good and you can buy it at NAPA.

off-road taco06

Reaction score
This!! ^^^

I work for an oil company at a fuel distribution terminal(biggest one in north america) and i can tell you that all you need is to buy quality fuel. You shouldnt ever need additives over the counter at all! And STAY AWAY from octane booster crap. It will say that it "raises octane by one full point!!" Hahaha! yea, it will raise it from 92.0 to 92.1. And most of them dont do that depending on the amount of gasoline to 'magical' additive you use.

Which gas station has the HIGHEST quality fuel around? I have a Shell station literally right down the street from my house. Convenient, easy and hopefully quality fuel too lol. :laugh:

Thanks for all the info! :top:

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
Which gas station has the HIGHEST quality fuel around? I have a Shell station literally right down the street from my house. Convenient, easy and hopefully quality fuel too lol. :laugh:

Thanks for all the info! :top:

usually the busiest/newest gas station in town is the best.

rav-o-nation

Reaction score
The one gas station that is always busy around here is circle K. Or am pm. But I stick to chevron or shell gas.

toyota_rod

Reaction score
this is not a fuel additive but ive used RESTORE on my previous s-10s with the 4.3 and ive seen improvment on them...never put any in the x yet...says it can be used to prevent worn seals n such......just tryin to build up my postings so i can put pics up...yea

sixstringdave

Reaction score
New tanks and fresh fuel all the time I would assume.
Or DS is just being a smartass :dontknow:

Still has nothing to do with it, heh. Good quality gasoline is effected by how its produced, how its handled, and how it is stored. All of which, before it even gets to a station. Trust me, i work in the industry.

Maybe he is just being a smartass.

:biggrin:

Murderface

Reaction score
Ya I just use either shell 93 or Sunoco 93 and hope it keeps everything clean like they advertise. The only other true alternative would be to run E85, that shit keeps ur engine,lines and tank clean

Top Bottom