Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GA Cruise Early Fall

Reaction score
So anyone that is in the GA section, here's the official thread for the meet. That way we can get the other thread back to what it's original purpose was designed for.

So, if we can do this mid August, that'd be best for me. Obviously we'll never be able to accommodate everyone with the dates. However, let's get the general consensus pulled together in one, cohesive thread.

The idea here is to start somewhere in N.Ga or Atlanta. Perhaps the Mall of Ga since it's a pretty centralized area in the N.GA area. Grab some grub at a good breakfast eatin' hole (I prefer Waffle House but space does get packed on weekends and it's a smaller venue). Perhaps IHOP would be best suited here. Perhaps take a second to find a nice spot to grab a few pics. Then, head southward. From there, who knows. I was thinking hitting up the Northern beaches of the panhandle in Florida (Destin perhaps).

This is pretty open thus far so let's get this mess going!

Holla!

bigdreams

Reaction score
I could possibly do mid-August. I should have plenty of leave accumulated by then. But FYI, there's no easy way to get to Destin from ATL. Though Destin is beautiful, it's just not an easy task getting there. You'd have to go through a lot of GA backwoods. I still like our original plan of all N. GA guys taking I-75 down to Macon and I-16 to Savannah. We could meet up at Tybee Island in the afternoon and hit up River St (lots of bars and restaurants) for drinks and dinner. I live close by, so I'd just go back to my house for the evening. But start out the next day to head down I-95 to FL. Maybe hit up Daytona Beach along the way. My wife and I are gonna end in Cocoa to see her family. But about an hour west of Cocoa is Orlando. Plenty of fun things to do there. I'm sure y'all will pick up a few people in central FL and can keep driving elsewhere. If Destin was something you had you're heart set on, you can drive back up the Gulf Coast and hit up a few nice beaches that way and work your way to Destin and PCB. Then go north and head home

Reaction score
Destin isn't a hardcore place I wanted to go. The whole point of this is just to get the idea in one centralized location.

I'm good with mid August (perhaps the 3rd weekend in August). Are there some good hotels near the first stop because one would not like to be drinking whilst driving. I bet Tybee has some beautiful picture spots. Then to Florida would be cool. I'm not sure I'd want to go as far as Orlando per se but into Fla. is definitely a must.

Any other thoughts?

bigdreams

Reaction score
Yeah. Plenty of great hotels in the area. Over the next few months, I'll keep my eyes open for photo spots

Reaction score
Definitely. I figure Savannah is close to the ocean so we should at least get some nice seaside shots. I have a Nikon D90 for the occasion.

bigdreams

Reaction score
Jekyll Island, about 60 miles south of Savannah has some better photo opps. But to meet there the night before we drive down to FL wouldn't be practical for me unless we camped out down there by the beach. I hear they have a nice campground there. There's also a water park and a putt-putt course. That area feels more secluded to me. But we can have more fun in Savannah. We'll leave it up for a vote and discuss it later

Reaction score
True. We could discuss it further if anyone else hopped in here. :)

I'm game for almost anything since I will have just been in the biggest beach in the middle east for a year. :D

GaX-Runner

Reaction score
I am definitely down for this meet in August so count me in. I just won't be able to do the road trip to Destin.

bigdreams

Reaction score
so i have a good bit of leave days saved up. so i'm thinking of taking 2 weeks off in Aug so i can go back home to Birmingham, AL and then make my way over to ATL when it's time to drive down to FL. i still say the best route will be to go from ATL south on i-75 then east on i-16 and south again on i-95

Reaction score
Ok so let's get this together... who'd be all in for taking it to FLA and how far down FLA?

X-Run-X-er

Reaction score
I may be interested in driving up from South Florida .. dates times and locations ... start up a list bro !

bigdreams

Reaction score
looks like the dates are up to Dirty Goatee. i can put in a leave request at any time. i agree ^^dates, times, and locations please. as far as how far down FL, i think i'll be stopping for a few days in Cocoa Beach/ Merritt Island/ Orlando. then i'll probably return back to the Savannah. GA area

Reaction score
Ok... I'll post up some dates here tomorrow (as it's 1040 at night here and I need my sleep).

Get ready ladies and gents. Can't wait to meet some fellow XR's.

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay again fellas. So I was thinking the second weekend in August. So begin on the 12th (Friday, possibly taking that day off) or starting bright and early on Sunday morning.

Thoughts?

My wife and I were looking into going to Disney mid August anyhow so she'll tag along and we'll make our way down to Orlando.

bigdreams

Reaction score
Like I said earlier, any dates are fine with me. This trip is kinda revolving around you. Lol. But the date you mentioned sounds great. I've been thinking that I'll take off about 5 days prior to that and go back to Birmingham, AL to visit friends and family. That way, I'll be able to pick up the cruise in ATL :top:

Reaction score
I'll solidify the dates as it draws closer but I can't do it late August since I have my niece's 3rd birthday (I haven't seen my niece in nearly a year) and I have another niece on the way about that time.

Start marking it.

Reaction score
So update since the time is getting nearer.

I've been offered a position stateside upon my return. However, I'm not sure exactly how much time I'll have when I get back (as far as between jobs). There might be a chance that they'll want me to take no more than a week or two off before returning. That's both good news and bad. It's good in that I still have a job and that even in this economy, I can still earn a nice wage. The bad news is I'll more than likely have to cancel this cruise (unless someone else wants to spearhead it) but not so much because I can't, but because I won't be in Georgia for long.

The new position is in Louisiana, more specifically, training the Army at Fort Polk. It's a year contract too so I can't just pop back over at a moments notice. It sucks I know but with the economy still the way it is, I'll take what I can get ya know. Plus, there might be a little "DirtyGoatee" on the way... but we'll see about that here in a few weeks.

I apologize if my presence here has been flaky lately but I've been doing a lot of traveling and I haven't been within internet range for most of it.

Let me know you guys' thoughts and please know I don't usually renege on my plans but when opportunity knocks, you gotta let that asshole in.

bigdreams

Reaction score
Congrats on the position at Ft Polk. I was there recently with a large group of other soldiers from my brigade to help train the Oklahoma National Guard for their deployment to Afghanistan. So what's your position going to be down there?

So I have some bad news on my end too. I just got put on the Salute Battery detail. I start the detail on July 7th. I have no clue on how long it's going to last, but last time I was on it for 4 months. Not sure how difficult it will be to take leave though. Anyway Dirty, keep us posted on your dates you may be able to take off and I'll put in a leave request anyway. Never know if it'll get approved if you don't try. But I'm hoping I won't have to back out on the cruise

Reaction score
Well I'm in SatCom and will be teaching the fine soldiers there on the SNAP systems.

I'll definitely keep you guys posted as changes happen. I'll do my best to keep this site as up to date as possible.

Top Bottom