Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Gas Pedal sticking

TRD Street

Reaction score
I was driving the other day and noticed my engine took a LONG time to de-rev down. This was after I was stopped with the clutch pressed down. Shouldn't it be pretty quick to go to idle? I realize it might think I'm going to shift and keep the truck at a higher RPM, but I feel this might be wasting gas by doing so. Please tell me this is normal so I don't have to worry. Thanks -Rick

TRD Street

Reaction score
Thats reassuring. This is my 3rd Tacoma and the 1st to do such a thing.:top:

BlackCat

Reaction score
How long is a "long time" ? IT's already known that the Taco 4.0V6 tends to "hold" RPM's while shifting, the engine tends to be slowing returning to idle (heavy flywheel ?). But it's only a few seconds from ~3-4k RPM to idle.

I don't think that has any effect for gas consumption since the actual fuel flow rate to the engine with the foot off the gas (regardless of RPM) is probably equal to the idle flow rate.

X-Runnin

Reaction score
It is very normal, it stay around 1200 until a certain speed(I think around 20mph, I'm not for sure though) then it will drop down to about 800 for idle

wshsbears

Reaction score
Thats reassuring. This is my 3rd Tacoma and the 1st to do such a thing.:top:
this is the first generation of tacoma's to have the drive by wire system. this system utilizes a computer system which has a TPS (throttle position sensor) then it transmits this information to the computer and eventually gets to the engine.. its a PITA for the track and such b/c its hard to shift fast w/out jumping the truck.. makes for more riding the clutch.. i hate riding the clutch but i got used to it.

X-Runnin

Reaction score
wow, does it go up to 3500 or are you pushing it

edit: nvm that has happened to me a few times after hard driving

07XR808

Reaction score
I've had one isolated incident where i accelerated hard and the gas pedal stuck @ 5.2K RPMS for about 10 seconds. Kinda scary good thing i managed to shift into neutral. I came to the conclusion that my rubber mat got stuck on the tip of the pedal. It never happened again since then, so I'm sticking with that theory.

Scratchy

Reaction score
I've also noticed that if I'm slowly coasting to a stop with the clutch in, or in neutral, the revs will stay up at about 1500 until I come to a complete stop.
If I start coasting down a hill from a complete stop, then the revs stay down at 700 - idle speed.
It seems the ECU is anticipating the next gear when you put the clutch in, and holds the RPM up until you come to a complete stop.

XR-Franciscoo

Reaction score
My old 2005 single cab use to do that, but only did it when I would drive it hard. FReaked me out the first time. But then got use to it.

TRD Street

Reaction score
thanks guys, you've all been a GREAT help. at least there's nothing I should be worried aboot then!!:top:

blastap

Reaction score
yah its weird getting in a diff car and drving like you never drivin a stick before bacause im use to the xr and its heavy pedal

Bobby B

Reaction score
I wonder if there was a way to upgrade what ever it is that controls the throttle by wire.
weather it be a servo or electronic controller, CPU or what.
I know they make high performance parts for R/C cars that do the same basic thing.
I would invest it an electronic up grade that allowed me to adjust the pedal sensitivity or throttle response more or in addition to a CAI or a tune.

Beondwacko

Reaction score
It's not an issue with the throttle by wire set up, it's the factory mapping in the ECU. The "hanging" rev's have to do with an emissions issue. A lightened flywheel won't cure this symptom. I too HATE the fact that the engine will not return to 700-800 rpm(normal idle speed) whenever I let of the gas. I find it most annoying when I'm lets say, driving through a parking lot in second gear, and the revs hang at 1200-1500 rpm.

Top Bottom