Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Gearshifting, not so easy.

Eraser

Reaction score
driving onto the freeway today when i shifted into third gear heard an awesome sounding clunk/bang from the transmission. no explosions or flying metal associated :dontknow: and then its significantly harder to engage into gears all the way home. when i came to a stop at my house i slowly changed gears with the clutch pushed in and I heard a quiet clunking noise as the synchros touch. i have an appointment monday @ 915. and im worried the transmission will explode if i drive the grinder anywhere.

ideas/thoughts?

SpcWashington

Reaction score
Crappy trans is my first thought. But have u checked the fluid level in ur master cylinder? Also could be a clutch issue. How many miles do u have?

Eraser

Reaction score
just under 25k miles on the Xrunner, Have not checked the fluid in the master cylinder. I will go do that before I leave in my ol POS 93 pickup.

Eraser

Reaction score
checked the master cylinder fluid, no issues there. Funny I checked all my fluids before i left work today. I did go out and take another look at the grinder transmission we have and noticed that with the engine off the gears will shift like butter as they normally do. With the engine on its hard to engage, but possible. The clutch "sweet spot" also engages about twice as early. TOB? hydraulic operation? I think im starting to get somewhere.

wisenthefools

"Ricky Bobby"
Reaction score
Sounds scary bro, at this point you might get lucky and have it turn out to be somethin simple. Don't drive it and risk makin it worse.

Eraser

Reaction score
oh no, not a chance that im driving it anywhere. gonna get it towed on monday.

Last edited:

SX TOY

Reaction score
had to have them warranty a tranny for me at 15.5k. if you have the cash it is a good time to upgrade your flywheel clutch assembly as you can talk most dealers into installing it free when they put it all back together.

lacetool

Reaction score
urd short shift ?

i pulled mine out of trk. reverse to hard to ingauge and have gotten stuck in gear ]jammed] most of the time its 3rd.gear i'm stuck in lacetool

Jwall

Reaction score
had to have them warranty a tranny for me at 15.5k. if you have the cash it is a good time to upgrade your flywheel clutch assembly as you can talk most dealers into installing it free when they put it all back together.

Did your tranny completely get broken or just issues while driving? I might try and get them to replace it and instal the flywheel and clutch upgrade before my warrenty is up

SX TOY

Reaction score
I heard what I thought was the throwout bearing sound. they determined the noise was coming from the tranny so we scheduled to have it replaced. I then got the stage 3 and lt flywheel from Gadget and they installed them free.

Eraser

Reaction score
Let this be one of the good stories

Just came back with my loaner from the dealership. The tech's drove it and verified the problem. When I had it the clutch had just began to seperate from the hub and I was only having problems engaging it into gear. After they test drove it the clutch and hub had completely seperated, they had to tow it back to the dealer lol. anyways they took the transmission out and found the clutch seperated. I'm getting a new clutch, new TOB and new pressure plate. I asked if I could get the stage 3 clutch, steel flywheel and TSK installed for free since the transmission needed a new clutch anyway. They said no after I asked without an explanation.. which i don't really care because im getting a new clutch for free. :top: and they gave me a loaner 2010 corolla to drive until I get my X back.

I was incredibly surprised that the only thing they said about my mods was "cool" and smiled.

I get my truck back on wednesday. QUESTION... How do I properly break in a new stock clutch?

Top Bottom