Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Good Air Wrench

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do any of you guys have your own air wrench that you use to rotate your tires or remove and clean the inside of the wheels? I have a compressor and was hoping that I could find a reasonably priced air wrench so that I could do this myself. I figure with the cost of a rotation, the wrench would pay itself off pretty quickly.

If you do go this route, how often do you still have to go in for a balance?

VIPDreamin

"Mr. Incredible"
Reaction score
Why not just use a 4 way and a torque wrench?

Air on lugs sometimes is not a good idea.....from experience:)

MXXN

Reaction score
I would recommend an IR composite impact gun. Craftsman has the same thing just branded for Sears. I think this is the most current version of what I have ( I own the I/R brand but the craftsman is spec'd the same and a bit cheaper) http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...essors+&+Air+Tools&sName=Automotive+Air+Tools

Get a 1/2 drive. These gun are lightweight and small for the power they make. They will remove axle nuts and some stuff that normal airguns won't budge. Guy use to borrow mine all the time in the Porsche, Audi VW dealerships I worked in. ONe very nice feater is the the direction buttons are on the back of the gun and you can switch directions one handle. Some guns require you to rotate a knob to switch. It is relitivly quite and with 600lbft of reversing torque it gets work done.

You will need a strong air supply to make any airgun run as expected.

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Air on lugs sometimes is not a good idea.....from experience:)

Details? Why? Strip the lugs?

Good info MXXN --- what kind of pressure are we looking at to power the gun? I may be able to just kill this thread if my compressor doesn't produce enough pressure.

TitanRattler813

Reaction score
air tends to be a bad idea when/if the lugs end up being too tight... sometimes results in broken studs (I've been there)... also, in an emergency situation, they may be a b! to get off if you have to do it by hand

Stevenredx

Reaction score
Whats the specs of your compressor?

Also, personally if i was you Klint... i would look around for a decent air tool set/kit instead of just purchasing an impact seperatly.... for the average weekend warrior like you and I, most of the kits will do just fine for awhile and also come with some other air tools that may be useful on down the road. Just my .02

As far using the air gun for the lugs... nice to take them off with and get them started back on but you always want to use a torque wrench for tightening them down... the studs can easily get stripped or broken using an air gun to tighten them down.

Ruffryder

Reaction score
A good floor jack, stands and the stock lug wrench is all you need to rotate. Tire balance I don't worry about unless I can feel somethings outta whack. Air wrenches are nice if ya have the huge compressor to run it.

VIPDreamin

"Mr. Incredible"
Reaction score
Details? Why? Strip the lugs?

Good info MXXN --- what kind of pressure are we looking at to power the gun? I may be able to just kill this thread if my compressor doesn't produce enough pressure.

Stripped lugs and then them being on way too tight.:hmmmm2:

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay - well just from these comments, I'm gonna scrap the idea. It was really just a passing thought since I now have a compressor that could probably run the tools. I'll just go the manual route and get a beefy torque wrench. :top:

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Matt's06

Reaction score
Blue Point makes some decent air tools for the money. They are made by snap-on. It is their cheaper line of tools. There is nothing wrong with using an impact to put lug nuts on. Just make sure you turn down the knob on the impact.

Yallrun

Reaction score
Well I just kick the compressor around 120 pounds and if the lugs are being real stubborn I kick it to 140 pounds and my MAC impact gun pops em loose. I've never stripped or broke any lugs out.

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
Some good wheel cleaner and a pressure washer is all you need to clean the inside of the wheels. :top:

rich017

Reaction score
There is no problem using an air wrench when rotating tires. Just make sure you use a torque wrench when putting the nuts back on

lucke

Reaction score
impact gun is important for torquing... air ratchets are pretty much useless as you can't quite set tq specs...

if you think about it logically, you should ask what they use at tire shops... their impact guns are set to a specific tq, then they follow through with a hand tq wrench. and they rarely ever have problems...

MXXN

Reaction score
Its not the pressure as much as it is the volume. A 5 gallon air compressor can make 175psi but the volume of air it can deliver is minumal where as a 30 gal compressor at 90psi would actually get the job done over the high pressure set up.

You can set the air line pressure to high and just destroy the gun. Really anything over 120 is to much. Most air tool rating are at 90psi and based of of CFM for consumption

If your breaking lugs and stripping them then your not using the air tool appropriately so it isn't really the fault of the air tools.

Most guns have no way of setting the torque. They have a control nob that is really more a high medium and low setting since line pressure and volume play a factor. Normally you will use a "torque stick" that is basically an extension that will run the lug into the preset torque at which point the stick will twist and absorb the impacts of the impact gun wich keep it from over torquing the lug. You can run most lugs in with the low setting setting and not overtorque if you dont have a torque stick. Most guys at tire shops don't use torque wrenches. It just depends on the type of tech you are. It never hurts to "click click" on any bolt you ever have to tighten

It isnt a complicated tool. Like all tools it works best with a lil common sense holding on to it :biggrin: It makes life real easy for wheels and suspension type of work.

WCD

Reaction score
I would recommend an IR composite impact gun. Craftsman has the same thing just branded for Sears. I think this is the most current version of what I have ( I own the I/R brand but the craftsman is spec'd the same and a bit cheaper) http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00919905000P?vName=Tools&cName=Compressors+%26+Air+Tools&sName=Automotive+Air+Tools

Get a 1/2 drive. These gun are lightweight and small for the power they make. They will remove axle nuts and some stuff that normal airguns won't budge. Guy use to borrow mine all the time in the Porsche, Audi VW dealerships I worked in. ONe very nice feater is the the direction buttons are on the back of the gun and you can switch directions one handle. Some guns require you to rotate a knob to switch. It is relitivly quite and with 600lbft of reversing torque it gets work done.

What he said. We use composite IR guns at my shop. They are very nice. Snap On guns are also good, but more expensive.

Top Bottom