Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

good deal?

elitecloud

Reaction score
I just went to a garage sale and picked up 2 - JL Audio 12WO-4's for $10 a piece, i don't have my amp anymore but i can test them monday, and i was wondering if this was a good deal or not.

I've heard good things about JL, but i've never heard them for myself, so let me know :)

Thanks Guys

and a picture for •XR•XR•XR•XRs and giggles

19_s.jpg

rexrunner

Reaction score
awesome deal if they work :top: if you have a volt meter check the reisistance across the terminals, it should be close to 4.

elitecloud

Reaction score
nope, no volt meter :-( i will bring them to work and see if the guy i sold my old stuff to will let me hook these up and test em out

I really want to do a single sub box, just like this
tacobox1.jpg

would one of these do the job?

Last edited by a moderator:

bcutshall

Reaction score
that amp might be a little much for them. Just find a 250 watt amp. they are single 4 ohms subs so you will get a 2 ohm load. that alpine amp does 400 watt at 2 ohm and each sub can handle 125 watts (250 total). a jl 250/1 would be perfect.

stretch200

Reaction score
I always thought you wanted your amp to have more watts than your subs. Am I wrong?

bcutshall

Reaction score
you do to a certain point. but this is almost double. I guess it could work as long as you keep your gains way down.

rexrunner

Reaction score
but then it would be a waste of power. I say get the jl 250/1 b/c it will mount under the drivers seat and you will never see it. :top:

jockin my styLez

Reaction score
it wont be a waste of power..
double power is nothing, dont worry about it
i run 1600watts to a sub rated at 600watts
over powering is better than under powering
get that alpine if thats what you want

bcutshall

Reaction score
give it a try. if you blow your subs because of too much power then you are only out $20. then you can get some real subs...

nxrunner

Reaction score
nope, no volt meter :-( i will bring them to work and see if the guy i sold my old stuff to will let me hook these up and test em out

I really want to do a single sub box, just like this
tacobox1.jpg

would one of these do the job?

Thats a nice looking box. Good choice. :top:

elitecloud

Reaction score
Problem, big problem

I guess cuz it's Arizona, and the guy is a complete a-hole, i powered them up today, and umm the cone is fine, but that outer edge part that connects the cone to the actual housing is all rotted out, it was ok when i bought it, but i guess i was too excited to REALLY check it, is there some sort of repair kit for this or am i out 20 bucks?

The cone and everything else sounded good, and it pounded...please help

bcutshall

Reaction score
i am sure you can send them in to get repaired but it will probably cost more than what you paid.

Stevenredx

Reaction score
Yeah... you can send them to JL to be repaired but when its all said and done you probabley could end spending alittle more and buy one brand new :thumpdown:

nxrunner

Reaction score
Problem, big problem

I guess cuz it's Arizona, and the guy is a complete a-hole, i powered them up today, and umm the cone is fine, but that outer edge part that connects the cone to the actual housing is all rotted out, it was ok when i bought it, but i guess i was too excited to REALLY check it, is there some sort of repair kit for this or am i out 20 bucks?

The cone and everything else sounded good, and it pounded...please help

yYou may be out $20 but he would be out alot more than that, I would throw one at his windshield and one at his face. Sorry I just dont believe in messing over people like that. He should refund your money - no questions asked. (I assume you did ask him for a refund.)

jockin my styLez

Reaction score
oh well..he went to a garage sale..spent $20 on em..just go buy some new ones if you got the itch for bass now

elitecloud

Reaction score
ok, tell me about this set up then

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_4243_Alpine+SWR-1222D+-TYPE+R-.html

Sub, duel 2 ohm Alpine Type R $$138.78

http://cgi.ebay.com/06-HIFONICS-TIT...4QQihZ004QQcategoryZ39732QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

06 HIFONICS TITAN TXI6006 $$137.5

600 Watts bridged @ 4 ohms (series)

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-nU1aMBOj8Bb/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?search=Alpine+CDE-9852&i=500CDE9852

Alpine CDE-9852 Deck $$149.99

Bringing the total to 426.27, without a box, i already have the wires and everything i think i have 8 or 4 gauage i there now, probabbly 8...

Top Bottom