Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Got a big box today from Gadget

kcidmil

Reaction score
Actually it came in yesterday, but didn't get around to it till today. Going to be installing it all this weekend. The flywheel is so awesome, such a shame that it's going to be hidden.

15707090_medium.jpg

15707091_medium.jpg

15707094_medium.jpg

15707093_medium.jpg

Moneyblind

Reaction score
mmmmmm pretty, is it lighter or heavier than stock? ( Has not researched Gadgets flywheel)

hiflyer

Reaction score
which clutch and flywheel? can't tell

im running the stage 3 with lightened flywheel and it rocks!

Workman3886

Reaction score
Man that is super nice, an upgrade I would love to do myself!

kcidmil

Reaction score
Stage 2, lightweight flywheel combo. The box weight from Fedex was 46lbs. Looking at the scale from the How To write up it's showing 52.5 lbs. So estimating 2lbs off for Bearing and packing it'll be around 44lbs for the new setup.

I can tell you this much, the clutch kit is heavier than that new flywheel.

clutchinstall038.jpg

kcidmil

Reaction score
All I can say is :fail: Toyota. Every bolt on the transmission housing started to round off. I had to drag out my awesome Grip sockets which dig into the sides and even those started to cut the bolt heads up.

I can almost see this as being a full blown job of pulling engine and trans. And I swear if it comes to that I'm buying dynamite too.

kcidmil

Reaction score
6 point 14mm and a breaker bar. &Y%*()#&_$@n YOU TOYOTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And it's looking like an engine pull. The top starter bolt just completely rounded out. And the sad part, my bolt extractor I had completely dulled out from the bolt.

Last edited:

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
I know your pain, older trucks can be a pain!!

justin13703

Reaction score
Damn man that sucks, I have the same flywheel and the stage 3 cc and I absolutely love it. Hopefully you get it all taken care of. You'll be happy once you get it all in.

Maybe soak them with penetrating fluid for a day or so and hammer on a smaller socket and try that?

kcidmil

Reaction score
They've been soaking for 2 days actually... lol. I pulled the truck in on Friday after work and soaked everything down. Saturday I pulled everything out down to the cross member and soaked the trans bolts again. So today was to pull that and drop the trans, swap out everything and slap it all back together. Co-worker said he's never done one and wanted to stop by and help today... so much for that, never showed.

I got it finally, I was about to call it a day and start plans to pull the motor when I remembered that I had gotten a 1/4" angle air grinder for christmas from my parents. I had to pull the driver's side exhaust manifold off and 30 mins of grinding later the bolt head is gone. And then to throw salt onto the wound, one of my creeper casters burst apart while in the middle of it. So I spent the rest of the time sliding around on the concrete.

All but the bottom 2, 14mm bolts are shot. Imagine that, those were the ones I could get with the impact... rofl. The 17mm ones are fine, though I almost busted my hand open on one of them. Good thing I had gloves.

I'm going down tomorrow and picking up a stud puller to take out what's left of the bolt. BTW the source of all my noise... my bearing sounded like that bolt I just ground off when I spun it.

Last edited:

X'ED

Reaction score
All I can say is :fail: Toyota. Every bolt on the transmission housing started to round off. I had to drag out my awesome Grip sockets which dig into the sides and even those started to cut the bolt heads up.

I can almost see this as being a full blown job of pulling engine and trans. And I swear if it comes to that I'm buying dynamite too.

man i know that, i had my trans rebuilt at toyota a long time ago, and when i did my clutch and fly, i found out the idiot at toyota use RED locktite on the starter bolts, rounded them off and ended up having to cut them out and use ez outs to pull the studs out..

kcidmil

Reaction score
well I ran around town today... ended having to order the bolts through Toyota. Everything I found was either too long or too short. So it looks like my baby won't be running again till Wed night.

justin13703

Reaction score
Gotta love it when you try to do something and everything goes wrong. Hopefully the rest went good though and you can just bolt it all back together and enjoy the good ol lightweight flywheel and upgraded clutch break in period lol.

kcidmil

Reaction score
I could hear a rattle whenever I was almost fully engaged. It was mainly the buffer springs that I heard, however when I spun the throwout bearing it didn't sound too good. Good thing I opted for the bearing upgrade from URD.

Well I got the new stuff in and the trans back on. The starter bolts are on back order, so tomorrow when I pick up the trans bolts I'll go down and find some suitable substitutes. Then I just have to finish putting her back together and fill her up with some nice Redline MT90

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Holy smokes dude! What a freaking task! :ahhhhh:

Wow. I wish that kind of trouble on no one.

At least you didn't have to pull the engine. I know that feeling though, right before you catch a break.

Did you get any pics of the bad bolts?

Last edited:

kcidmil

Reaction score
They say there's always at least one thing broken on a vehicle at any given time. Apparently my truck didn't get the memo as it's had 1 burned out license plate light for months now and I left that to be it's "1 broken thing."

Yeah I've still got the bolts, I'll take some pictures later. And the best part, I found a stud remover you hammer on, then use a wrench. Well as I was hammering it I noticed it looked to be turning. So I reached up and spun the stupid thing out by hand. Apparently that's all it needed, was for me to beat the living $#^*(&@ out of it.

That's all I'm going to do next time, just slide under there and go to town with my little 3 lb mini sledge. Hopefully I'll shatter my case and have an excuse to try and fit a V160 trans in there. (for those that don't know, a V160 was a 6spd manual used on the Twin Turbo Supra.)

In the midst of all these problems there is some light shinning down. My X-panels have been shipped and are making a slow trek up from Louisiana. YAY

Last edited:

GaX-Runner

Reaction score
I'm gonna be ordering that same combo :top: but I'm getting the Stage III clutch. Hope mines not gonna be that much trouble! Good luck

kcidmil

Reaction score
I was thinking of getting the stage 3, but traffic is so crazy around here that it'd just get destroyed.

Top Bottom