Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Hate the Tacoma oil dipstick

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Am I the only one that hates the damn dip stick on the X? I can't get an accurate reading on this damn thing. Every time it, because of the bend, it just smears oil all over the damn thing. What's the trick? Lame question I know but I've checked the oil numerous times since the new engine went in and I added a little oil b/c it looked a little low (normal after new engine) but I checked it this morning and it still looked low --- and I mean like half way between the dots. WTF?! :motz:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
On a fresh fill, it takes right around 7 quarts. Could be why it seems to keep being low? Until all of the areas are full.

JiNsEiGaNaI

Reaction score
I think all dip sticks smear! I NEVER seen one that was a perfectly clean line! But i never had this problem before but if u were losing oil, it would be a leak but if u dont have a leak, then i dont see how u could lose oil

X-roller

Reaction score
^^true. just pull it and wipe it around 3 to 4 times and then you will start getting accurate readings...

Reaction score
The best dip stick I've ever seen was on the Accord be my X. It was a 14g cable with a tab of steel at the end. I had very little problems with it.

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've put in 5.5 quarts so far. No leaks under the truck.

Best dip stick was on my Beretta. The end had crosshatched marks engraved in the stick. Easy to get a reading and never had a smearing problem like this. I read on another forum that some people sand the end of the dipstick a bit. Don't know if that would make a diff or not. Having just lost an engine to low oil/burning oil, naturally I'm a little nervous after this $3,000 out of pocket investment.

quiksheit

Reaction score
Yup just sand the dipstick perpendicular to the length of the stick. Wipe if off good and now the oil will stick a little better.

trd_sport

Reaction score
so do we want the oil to be above both rivets or in between the 2 rivets on the stick?

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
At the top dimple, not lower.

Gators Taco

<a . href="http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/sho
Reaction score
5 qrts with new filter, that's all it needs. Do you have a deeper oil pan to use 7 qrts

Tunedx

Reaction score
If u are running oil cooler, engine needs a little extra oil.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
5 qrts with new filter, that's all it needs. Do you have a deeper oil pan to use 7 qrts

The reason I mentioned the 7 quarts, is because the vehicle manual says close to what I said, when the engine is completely dry. The oil has to fill up the cams, the crank, the recesses by the shim buckets, the filter, and so on.

Other than that, one all is filled, then it will be a solid 5, after that. Unless there is a large oil filter, and/or deep oil pan. :top:

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm thinking Torspd may be right. Checked it this afternoon and finally got a decent reading. I'm gonna put in another 1/2 quart this evening and check again tomorrow. That will make 6 quarts that I've put in but I'm guessing by the reading I got that 7 is going to be closer to full. And yes, the engine was dry because we swapped the oil pans.

Top Bottom