Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Help! 6th Gear stuck

X-Caliber

Reaction score
I have a real bad 5th gear grind at higher rpm's, i kinda gotta feather it in. 6th gear got stuck on me tonight, and I wasn't able to disengage it. I let off the clutch and it stalled out, so I cut it off, turned it back on, and it was still stuck. I was in the middle of nowhere so I kinda muscled it out of gear, and got it driving again (THANKFULLY.)

No more problems untill I got to my destination, but I had to move my truck earlier for a friend to get out and I was just testing the gears so I eased it down into 6th when the truck was idling when the clutch was in and it got jammed again, and took alot of muscle to get it out of gear, upon which it drove like before.

Sorry for the long read, but I'm at a dead end here, i'm not real experienced on the transmission's on the X.

After doing some thread digging, i've heard either:

Bleed the clutch out (Which I have no idea where the bleeder is, never done it)
Bad syncro's (Which I have no idea where I can get that fixed/tested/replaced)
Bad slave cylinder? (I think this is the right part that someone said. One of those cylinders)

Only mods on the transmission is the URD S/S, but it doesn't feel like its causing the problem. I'm not driving my truck any more this week untill monday, upon which I have to drive it back to college.

I'm sorry for the life story here, but I'm trying to give as much info I can.

Truck is an 05', less than 100k on the odo, and I dont think the tranny fluid has been changed, unless it was done sometime during a stop for scheduled maitenence.

Thanks guys, this forum really helps me out alot, and I appreciate any input.

suz1k3

Reaction score
Does it shift fine in all other gears?If so it's prob. not the clutch.

How long have you had the s/s installed?I would recheck it's installation.

If not the s/s,it could be inside the trans.ie:shifter fork,shift hub,ect.

burnboy

Reaction score
its more than likeley a worn fifth to sixth synchro. once they wear a certain way their done. especially saying you have a grind in 5th

X-Caliber

Reaction score
All other gears shift fine except for 5th and 6th. 5th grinds, and on the way down to 6th i feel more "resistance", like it takes a tiny more amount of effort to go down the row to 6th.

The S/S has been installed for like 10k-20k miles. It was properly installed 100% (Because I had to do it twice).

I do think it has something to do with the trans, unfortunatly. I'm going to try bleeding the clutch tomorrow when I figure out how to do it and see if it makes any difference.

shaggy08xr

Reaction score
It sounds a lot like a bad synchronizer. Do you only have this problem when the truck is running or all the time. If all the time its not a synchronizer. GL with it

X-Caliber

Reaction score
It will get jammed regardless of the truck being running, or off.

burnboy

Reaction score
dont waste your time bleeding it. its mechanical not hydraulic. your issue that is

shaggy08xr

Reaction score
:hmmmm2::hmmmm2::hmmmm2: I'm not honestly sure, but I'm pretty sure bleeding the clutch isn't going to help. Hopefully someone will be able to help

X-Caliber

Reaction score
Bleeding the clutch was just a suggestion that I found on another thread (I think the title was 3rd gear jammed). I'd like to find a solution other than just replacing the entire transmission. I just dont have that kind of money right now because of college.

suz1k3

Reaction score
If your sure about the s/s,then the trans. needs to come apart to be inspected.5th and 6th gear syncros and hub sleeve,springs.Good luck!

X-Caliber

Reaction score
So I had better lube my wallet for Toyota to rape it... Fantastic :motz:

Anyone have any idea how much new syncros are if that is the issue?

rich017

Reaction score
They are probably just going to tell you to buy a whole new trans. Usually with labor and parts to rebuild a tranny, it's the same to just buy one and have them put it in.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
To bleed the clutch, you'd be best having someone pump and hold the clutch while the other bleeds the slave cylinder on the trans. It is behind an open guard plate, on the driver side of the trans. Has a line going to it. Just make sure you have more fluid to keep it full.

Also. Go to WWW.TRDparts4u.com. look up the slave cylinder for your truck. It is about $75 new, or $10 for a rebuild kit.

X-Caliber

Reaction score
If it was the slave cylinder wouldn't all the gears end up getting jammed though? And would the slave cylinder have any effect on it being jammed even though the truck is off?

MplsX

Reaction score
I agree that this sounds like a mechanical problem, but do the cheap stuff first! Drain and replace the gearbox lube and as long as you are under there, replace your clutch hydraulic fluid. Flush that sucker. If that don't improve things then the transmission is coming out!
I had to sign up to your site to answer answer that question. I've been reading your forums for a few months now and have really enjoyed them.. I'm an old guy, but I am also an ASE master tech as well as being L1 certified. Thanks for the great website!

X-Caliber

Reaction score
Thanks for the advise, and welcome to XRU :top:

Gearbox lube = tranny fluid? I'm sorry, i'm not familiar with these transmissions yet

MplsX

Reaction score
Yes, the same. Manual transmission fluid = gear lube. Not ATF but much thicker. You'll have to look it up since my X's owners manual is in the the truck and that being stored away from the road salt right now.

X-Caliber

Reaction score
Okay, thanks.

So I replace the tranny fluid, flush clutch fluid (Still not sure where this is done yet), and if none of these resolve the problem I need to go speak with toyota and get my tranny pulled apart?

Top Bottom