Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Help with antenna

Vecte

"Fluffy"
Reaction score
Long story short, most people know that I had a modified S2K antenna on my truck. Well, I red loctited it awhile back to prevent anyone from stealing. That didn't stop them though, they tried and broke the bolt off the bottom of the antenna. Now, I have part of a bolt, red loctited into my antenna assembly, with no top to put a wrench on.

Aside from doing the obvious, which is buying a new antenna assembly, does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove the bolt that's in the assembly? Are there any removers small enough that might work? Worse case scenario I destroy the assembly trying to remove the broken bolt, which case, I am back at square one, buying a new assembly.

X-roller

Reaction score
You can drill it out but since you did loctite it.... it's pretty much done.... I can't think of anything that will break down loctite.... They make a tool to take out bolts like that but they aren't strong enough to break loctite at least I don't think.

Vecte

"Fluffy"
Reaction score
You can drill it out but since you did loctite it.... it's pretty much done.... I can't think of anything that will break down loctite.... They make a tool to take out bolts like that but they aren't strong enough to break loctite at least I don't think.

This is kind of what I thought. Still though, if anyone else has any ideas or thoughts, let me know. Definitely am regretting loctiting it in there. I was worried about a $35 dollar antenna, and now I'm going to have to spend around $70 for a new assembly.

Venomous_X

Reaction score
This is kind of what I thought. Still though, if anyone else has any ideas or thoughts, let me know. Definitely am regretting loctiting it in there. I was worried about a $35 dollar antenna, and now I'm going to have to spend around $70 for a new assembly.
I wonder if it was nikki...:crinklehair:

X-roller

Reaction score
Yeah I have my craven stubby bullet antenna and almost decided to loctite mine but I ended up thinking that it would be cheaper to replace the antenna than the actual assembly. Best of luck bro. The only thing I can think of doing is drilling out the threads completely but I don't know how thick that piece of metal is so you can rethread it onto there....

Vecte

"Fluffy"
Reaction score
I wonder if it was nikki...:crinklehair:
No, lol. But, I can see where you would think that!

On another note, I located the ornament and nut assembly online, and it looks like I can get both pieces for $20. It seems, according to the illustrations, that these are the only two pieces I need. Even if it's not, the rest of the pieces added to these would only bring the price to $50.

X-roller

Reaction score
On another note, I located the ornament and nut assembly online, and it looks like I can get both pieces for $20. It seems, according to the illustrations, that these are the only two pieces I need. Even if it's not, the rest of the pieces added to these would only bring the price to $50.

See so loctite was a good idea after all.... :laugh: the antenna was worth more!!

Vecte

"Fluffy"
Reaction score
See so loctite was a good idea after all.... :laugh: the antenna was worth more!!

Lol, you may be right, but then again, taking the assembly apart, might be a beast!

Here is the illustration:
8512165.gif

3 is the ornament, and 4 is the nut. I'm fairly certain, these are the only pieces I need.

X-roller

Reaction score
You should get in contact with Black Cat.... He just painted this piece. :top: i'm sure he will be a lot of help.

Vecte

"Fluffy"
Reaction score
Been a month, and my laziness kept me from getting this fixed, until last night. Drilled out the screw that was loctited in, but this also drilled out the assembly's threading. Got a cheap antenna off eBay with multiple adapters, and picked one that is a step up in size from our antenna's mast. Re-threaded the assembly to match the new antenna, and here is the result:

antenna001.jpg

antenna002.jpg

Reception is acceptable. Two of the stations I listened to before, do not come in very well. However, I don't know if this is a result of the antenna or not, because nearly every other station comes in just fine, if not every other station. Regardless, I am satisfied with the results.

USAFX

Reaction score
I have see other people drill it our and then worse case re-do the threads with a tread maker.... no biggie...
like you said worse comes to worse you are back at square one.
DRE

dramad1

Reaction score
that blows sorry to here about your unfortunate luck. replacement looks good though

xxturbo97xx

Reaction score
get a soldering iron and heat up the bolt, that will cause the locktite to not bond as much then use an extractor or punch or something to back the bolt out.

Top Bottom