Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Help

Canadian Girl

Reaction score
I am sure people have asked this but I dont know much about towing with our trucks.... I don't want to hurt it....

here is the situation...... as some might know my ex and I owned a bunch of cars. I recently got these back in a court battle and have sold my enclosed car trailer and dodge ram...... selling the dodge ram got me my X-runner

So now I am trying to sell the cars.... have almost all of them sold but

1988 Trans Am GTA and a 1993 civic show car...... I think I want to keep the trans am......

Here is the problem..... I have the car listed online and am hoping to take it to car shows to sell it.... figure thats how I will get the most exposure. So I figured I would tow it..... but towing the car will leave my truck at home....and no shows when really its the truck I want to show off.... plus the added expense of renting a truck and trailer......so

1. Can our trucks handle towing the civic on a car trailer..... not enclosed just one from uhaul (not dolly)
2. How much will this hurt my truck?
3. What level hitch do I need.....
4. Can our trucks handle the weight ..... I know I asked it but I dont want to hurt my truck

PS the civic has a roll cage in it and on air ride

Help my xru gurus

Attachments

• civic4.jpg
    civic4.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 140
  • gtcars_scrape_2008_00114.jpg
    gtcars_scrape_2008_00114.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 132
  • civic3.jpg
    civic3.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 158
  • civic.jpg
    civic.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 136

Whitebeauty

Reaction score
Well i know for a fact you will need a class 3 hitch. You might get some sag on the rear end other than that i want to say yeah but lets see what the rest of the community says..

xrgilly

Reaction score
Just put a bag of rice in the back of your truck. Same thing:)

MplsX

Reaction score
I would give it a try. The important thing to do is a test run a week or so before the actual trip. Drive the truck and trailer a good distance checking the brakes and handling. The most difficult thing, if you haven't done anything similar, will be backing up. Give it a try and let us know.

AmyGuyClayton

Reaction score
Since your not lowered yet you should be fine. The towing capacity of you x runner is 3500 IBS. We recently saw a fellow x runner owner that pulls his porsche on a flat bed trailer to the track.

Class 2 Hitch is rated at 3500 IBS (gross trailer weight ) and 300 IBS ( tongue weight. ) and Class 3 Hitch is rated at 3500-6000 IBS (gross trailer weight ) and 350-600 IBS ( tongue weight.)

I would personally go ahead and go class 3 hitch to be safe.

Here is a list of weights depending on model for your year civic. Depending on trailer weight you should be fine.

1993 Honda Civic DX HB MT Weight 2178
1993 Honda Civic DX HB AT Weight 2275
1993 Honda Civic Si HB MT Weight 2326
1993 Honda Civic VX HB MT Weight 2094
1993 Honda Civic DX CPE MT Weight 2224
1993 Honda Civic DX CPE AT Weight 2317
1993 Honda Civic EX CPE MT Weight 2390
1993 Honda Civic EX CPE AT Weight 2445

Hope this helps :top:

VIPDreamin

"Mr. Incredible"
Reaction score
It will be fine I towed a Honda Accord on DJM with no problem

Gators Taco

<a . href="http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/sho
Reaction score
Remember, the X is only rated for 3500 lbs. If I was to tow that much, I would have brakes on the trailer. I think you'll be riding on the bump stops to. :hmmmm2:

CBRBob

Reaction score
QA1s have no effect on how the truck handles weight. They are simply damping.
What you should have is air assist bags. 0-5psi with nothing in the truck and you dont notice them. Add air when loaded up to restore ride height and you are back in business.
Yes, having brakes on the trailer will help IMMENSELY!

o5oldblue

Reaction score
Nice car. Congrats on the win in court. Good luck with the sale

widdoz runner

Reaction score
dont do it me and a S10( i know not an x) both had to tow cars (him a civic hatch me an 1999 altima) to tx from ga and we went to uhaul. they said neither one of us could do the full trailer not cause of power but cause of weight of what we was towing and well long story short he did the full anyways and couldnt keep the trailer under control it just pulled him around and yea not pretty but no one was hurt... hell i felt the dolly and nissan fighting with me on the down slopes

babyboi2284

BaggedXR2284
Reaction score
I don't know how much difference it is but a buddy towed a race car (trans am I think) on a tow dolly with his x from Cali to north louisiana.

melon16

Reaction score
Uhaul wont rent it to you most likely. They barely let me rent car trailers and my truck is rated for almost 20ooolbs!

when I had my taco i pulled a 12ooolb tractor (almost double its 6500lb tow weight rating) from one friends farm to anothers' and back. if you can get someone to give you a trailer, then you will be fine if you take it easy. You will either definetly want an electric brake controller in your truck, or a trailer with surge brakes.

your best bet is find a friend with a bigger truck to go get the trailer from uhaul for you and then hook it to your truck and be careful.

Like I said, you WILL need some sort of trailer braking.

I pulled my lifted chev blazer on a trailer with no brakes from north of barrie all the way to hamilton. I made it, but I would never ever pull anything that heavy without brakes again no matter what the pull truck is!

Canadian Girl

Reaction score
I used to run my dodge ram and 23foot enclosed car trailer but I sold both of those.

Thanks.... I think I might just rent a truck and trailer..... hopefully this civic goes fast.... might just part it

Slywhitty

"Midget Magnet"
Reaction score
I'd just sell the civic. Sorry Kim not my cup of tea. Way too much rice for me. Just think. Sell that buy a shit ton of stuff for truck and not have to worry about hauling 3000lbs of rice around. Lol. And for the record I'm just faking with ya. Do what ya want. I can't stand those cars haha. Sorry

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
That Civic is a class a example of why civics get laughed at. That thing makes the cars in fast and furious look tame. Roll cage!?!?! Really???? Incase one of your air bags give out at you wreck it a willow springs??? Oh wait...show car...nvm... I needed that laugh, Thanks for posting that. /asshole post

Don't risk totaling your x, towing that 3000lbs of rice behind you. If you do, trailer brakes, and a brake controler, minimum. :top: or tell what ever poor sap buys that, that its coming on the back of a flat bed, might end up being cheaper then towing it out there.

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
Gotta agree with everyone else sell the rice then bag the truck and drive it to the shows and enter it!!

You NEED to dump everything you and your X had together or else his shit will just keep comming up! Ditch the projects you guys had a move on, and in your case make the X the way YOU want it!!

Canadian Girl

Reaction score
It wasnt mine..... it became mine in the lawsuit..... its overkill for me....... sdxrunner sorry to say but def a**h**e post..... If you new what that jerk put me thru you would be happy I took what he loved. He spent 10years building that car.

I am trying to sell the civic...... I am putting it into car shows to try and get people interested in it. I dont want to hurt my XR but I also need to sell this. And renting a truck/paying for flat bed will get old fast...... it is not road legal and I would be hassled non stop by the cops if I got a "safety" on it and drove it

Here is the GTA..... I dont know if I want to sell it. I have to put some love into the car.... these are the only pics I have right now....

Corey you are prob right.... but no matter what the GTA needs some love to get the money its worth. lots of wax...a fuel pump..... and driving it for the summer maybe.....

Attachments

• trans am.jpg
    trans am.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 125
  • transam 2.jpg
    transam 2.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 118
  • trans am 3.jpg
    trans am 3.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 115
  • trans am 4.jpg
    trans am 4.jpg