Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

HI

TRD-X

Reaction score
Speaking from experience Donny, it's hard to believe that a technician would not have heard or seen TSB's concerning our trucks...it's a effin dealership and they know when their products have problems. I work for an independent and see TSB's and SSM's all the time. Wasn't tryin to come off as Russell I was just saying...even our crappy techs at Street Toyota here in Ama can tell u Xrunners have trans issues....anyways dood welcome to XRU.

Question: Wasn't tryin to come off as Russell??:dontknow: Think you are Russell Yo!:laugh::laugh:

Welcome to the XRU Cuz!!!:rockon:

Murderface

Reaction score
Speaking from experience Donny, it's hard to believe that a technician would not have heard or seen TSB's concerning our trucks...it's a effin dealership and they know when their products have problems. I work for an independent and see TSB's and SSM's all the time. Wasn't tryin to come off as Russell I was just saying...even our crappy techs at Street Toyota here in Ama can tell u Xrunners have trans issues....anyways dood welcome to XRU.

I've spokin with 2 Toyota dealers and neither of them have heard ANY TSB's or issues with our trans, not even Jims beloved Sparks Toyota

Amarillo X

Reaction score
Damm John I can get on Mitchell and see all of the probs concerning trans. Maybe I'm just a go-getter but to me info is everything and I like to know about what I drive. Plus as a technician this info is readily available. Who knows maybe they don't have the time to research these things??

Murderface

Reaction score
Damm John I can get on Mitchell and see all of the probs concerning trans. Maybe I'm just a go-getter but to me info is everything and I like to know about what I drive. Plus as a technician this info is readily available. Who knows maybe they don't have the time to research these things??

Mitchell? Dealer thing?

WCD

Reaction score

I think the OP knows about the issues but wanted to hear it for himself. I used to do the same thing when I was a tech.

IMO, it's better to hear the customer's side first before saying anything.

Amarillo X

Reaction score
Mitchell on Demand...labor/repair guide. And Mitchell absolutely sucks compared to alldata. Dealers have access to info we civilians do not. Ten years ago I worked for Nissan and ANY spare time I had was spent researching special service messages bcuz I knew when I went independent I would no longer have access to this info.:top:

I think the OP knows about the issues but wanted to hear it for himself. I used to do the same thing when I was a tech.

IMO, it's better to hear the customer's side first before saying anything.
Good point and point taken:top:

Last edited:

Venomous_X

Reaction score
well if he wants to hear it himself.....my name is donny....my truck had a defective clutch replaced at 8k under warranty and ever since my t0 bearing screams when idling or the clutch is not pushed in. I do have a short shifter installed and can verify that with it or without it installed my truck has a catchy engagement when going from 4th to 5th gear over 2200 rpms......

THE TECHNICIAN

Reaction score
think u would know that if u work for toyota...

People like you are the reason why I regret ever offering my insight for free. I'd appreciate it if you make that the last disrespectful comment you make to me. Thanks.

Now for those of you that have welcomed me, thank you, I'm glad I could help.

As per the foremen meetings that are held every month Toyota is aware of the throw out bearing issue. Their fix as of now is "First attempt to replace throw out bearing dependant on damage to shaft support housing, and or bell housing and bearing. In some cases R&R transmission, contact TAS and FTS prior to repair. Under investigation to re-engineer housing in steel instead of aluminum."

And as far as the clutches are concerned, there is indeed an updated part number and all the info can be found in T-SB-0385-09

Here is an excerpt:

Some customers of manual transmission equipped, V6 FJ Cruiser and Tacoma vehicles may
experience a slipping feeling in all forward gears and reverse. The center section of the clutch disk
may have separated from the friction material section of the clutch disk. Installation of a new clutch
disk and clutch cover (pressure plate) is required to repair the vehicle. Follow the repair procedure​
in this bulletin to address customer concerns.

ceemeetwo

Reaction score

I work at street toyota...I am offended sir...anyways welcome bro and there are no tsbs or sscs that are active for the tranny grinds. but they are looking into the clutch problems and other problems that yall are experiencing, as some of yall know ive owned a runner and i drove it as hard as possible for 59k out of the 59k miles i had on it...ive only had a problem with the 2nd and 5th grind because ive missed gears and grinded them myself causing the syncros to be ground off causing the trans to grind.

Last edited:

2006nightrider

Reaction score
I work at street toyota...I am offended sir...:stupid:
I work for Toyota and I'm not...Different dealerships deal with different issues. In fact, I traded out a 2010 X-Runner to Columbus, OH last week, and that dealership NEVER sold an X-Runner before because they don't make them in that region (put a XRU card in the glovebox too). So for areas of the USA that don't receive X-Runners or manual transmission Tacomas on a regular basis, it's not that uncommon.

Shit, my dealership has yet to install a TRD S/C on a 4.0L Tacoma. So if you asked any of my techs about the install or parts, they wouldn't know.

Amarillo X

Reaction score
No offense bro but I own two toyota's one of which ur shop cleaned up my bad battery and told me they replaced it only to have to return the next day in the snow to get the dammed thing replaced. See I'm a smart tech myself and marked the underside of it before I took it in! I have worked at two dealerships in my time and know countless other guys that work in them and IMO there is usually one old guy that knows something...IMO And to the new member I did welcome u I just made a comment that I thought u would have heard that...that's all. This site isn't about bashing but I am welcome to my opinion. Thanks

ceemeetwo

Reaction score
i didnt type in all my statement lol i take no offense to anything anyone has said, ama do you know who the tech that did that was? and yes theres 2 old dudes here that know a bunch of stuff about a bunch of stuff lol but the only runners that we see around here are justins, calebs, and mine when i had it, ive seen yours around town, and that supercharged one, i forgot his name...

Amarillo X

Reaction score
Logan is his name...and I'm heading to Hfd in an hr so u may see mine...I don't know who the tech was. It was my wifes 07 Camry SE on black drifz and that's what pissed me off, her and my son being stranded. I had already had it in the shop to check elec system and marked her oem battery. Having grown up in htown I knew the service writer Robert Burton, told him what was wrong and was assured it would be taken care of. Then was called and told it was replaced and ready. I wish I had someone like David at my dealership...cuz when u can't trust them it blows!

TRD-X

Reaction score
Yo you need to pimp your profile Cuz!! :dontknow: You need to fill in the info.:top:

Murderface

Reaction score
Wonder why my stealership has seen no problems/heard no problems with our trans? They've sold many X's and 6spd taco's. I think they're just full of it cause my warranty will be out in 3500 miles:thumpdown:

Amarillo X

Reaction score
Wonder why my stealership has seen no problems/heard no problems with our trans? They've sold many X's and 6spd taco's. I think they're just full of it cause my warranty will be out in 3500 miles:thumpdown:
Exactly the kinda sh@t I'm talkin about. Davids right they all have their own ways, it's just that there are far more that do it the wrong way.

ceemeetwo

Reaction score
drop by street before ya take off 2 hereford, if you dont mind, id like to meet ya.

Top Bottom