Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

HID looks like on brights

bigtex7890

Reaction score
I have HID lights on my X and i constantly get flashed by people on the road who think I have my brights on. I tuned my light to point a little more downward, but i'm not sure it does anything to help. any of you have the same issue? Its not really a problem for me, but I get slightly annoyed when people flash their brights at me.

X-roller

Reaction score
Ditto man.... The thing that helps is if you have shields on them though.... I don't have shields on my fogs and I took the shields off my HL and now I get flashed way to much.... sad thing is I can't find the damn shields anymore.... :frown:

x20Runner05

Reaction score
HID's are alot brighter than factory. I get flashed all the time thinking my brights are on. I flash them back with my HID high beams. Some say you can adjust them but sometimes that may not help the brightness. But i'm sure some other with chime and give their HID input also.

x20Runner05

Reaction score
Yes it is very common, it happens even with factory installed HID's

bigtex7890

Reaction score
do you mean shields like this?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Headlight_projector_schematic.png

x20Runner05

Reaction score
headlight shield

This is a picture with a shield, look at the silver dome right in front the headlight bult, it reflects the light out.
LH-TTA01B-KS.jpg

babyboi2284

BaggedXR2284
Reaction score
do you have a hi/lo kit or just low? if you have a hi/lo kit and you adjusted them to point down more then dont worry about it anymore you did what you could. now if its just a low beam kit then your pretty much riding around with your high and low beams on at the same time

Slay0r

Reaction score
yeh b/c its either: 1. not being focused through a projector or 2. not aimed properly i've aimed mine, and i still get flashed, but then again, i got flashed alot when i was driving my bmw which had projectors, so...

Kanekz

Reaction score
Hid were primarily made for projectors.
NoT for the open ones the we have.

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
The problem is that you've installed an HID kit into a halogen housing. The housing was designed to reflect the output of a halogen bulb not an HID. The only way to "safely" install an aftermarket HID kit into a halogen housing is to install a projector. The reason people are flashing you is because the glare caused by your HID kit is blinding them. IMO very dangerous for both the on-coming driver and you. Personally I'd never recommend HIDs without a projector.

BSP06XRU

Old Member
Reaction score
Plain HID kit with reflector housing. :thumpdown:
Projectors housing. :top:

You really should do a retrofit, but for a quick fix, you can always get a Casper Shield to help:

casper1.jpg

babyboi2284

BaggedXR2284
Reaction score
Plus they look better than just stock. RETRO FIT!! RETRO FIT!! RETRO FIT!! lol :top::biggrin:

DSC00524.jpg

DSC00547.jpg

LilRed

Reaction score
Wow, Where'd you get that set up? Looks really good

babyboi2284

BaggedXR2284
Reaction score
Its a Luminous Solutions Kit. Pm X-Travagant (Jason) for more info

Sykotic336

Reaction score
i would recommend only using hids with projectors.

you can use that shield but is only meant for d2s d2c and d2r bulb type. its a very nice adaptor to use for our trucks instead of using the h4 because if you have a d2s one and wanna retrofit you dont have to buy another hid setup ( because most oem projectors use d2s bulb base type ) , the downfall on that is you wont have a high beam which i really doubt you would use n e way.

the factory hids are made specifically for that type of reflector bowl ( example: 2003 acrua tl ) as it reflects the light downward and they use a d2c or d2sr type which has a unique shield on the bulb to also prevent glaring.

retrofits are awesome and will make you never use halogens or hids is stock reflector bowls.

-Manny

SooRunner

Reaction score
I agree, putting HID in our headlamps is more like a flood light rather than a crisp projector cut off type. Brighter is better any how...I love driving behind small cars like Miata and Mini Coopers, they move outta your way real quick.

Sykotic336

Reaction score
I agree, putting HID in our headlamps is more like a flood light rather than a crisp projector cut off type. Brighter is better any how...I love driving behind small cars like Miata and Mini Coopers, they move outta your way real quick.
not to hate or n e thing but have you been in that situation? it really is annoying and makes it harder to see whats in front of you

rich017

Reaction score
Yes it is very common, it happens even with factory installed HID's

Yep. The point of having HID's whether it be aftermarket or stock is to increase your visibility on the road so you can see much better. The majority of people drive around these vehicles with faded headlights etc... and like to flash just because your lights are a different color. I used to get flashed ALL the time and I rarely do now. Never made any adjustments. HID's are becoming more common around here so people are getting used to them.

I just turn on my hi-beams on and watch them bitch inside their car if they flash at me.

Top Bottom