Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

hmmm now what?

SE_XRUNNER

Reaction score
ive started modding my truck already and as can be expected im addicted to modding like most of us are. i just dont know what to do next. im not really made of money but i do have an uncanny ability to save money... i justdont know what to set my sights on next. i would like to have a goal before i start saving. this list may help...

current mods/additions:

NST S/S (not yet installed)
Panasonic cq-vw100u head unit
10" pioneer sub in an ebay box
sony xplod 2/3/4 channel amp 600w max
stosche wires

upcoming mods already in the works

tinted headlights
tinted fogs

my final vision for my truck

trd s/c
lowered at least 2"
15% tint all the way around
recessed grill mod
tinted tails
rims (type undecided)

i know what i want but im just not sure what i should get first. any suggestions are welcome. thanks in advance guys!

DustyXRunner

Reaction score
i would drop it first. it is the most noticable thing right behind wheels. these trucks look so much better with a drop. djm is the tits. i have heard good things on the ss coils aswell.

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
^x3 - I agree. Save up for the drop kit. It will really change the look of the truck and may even give you new perspective on what you want to do - or what to do afterward.

SE_XRUNNER

Reaction score
damn 3x drop votes!!! yeah i do want to drop it but i love goin fast too... im pretty sure all the major cosmetic mods are going to come afte the s/c and all the power mods are done! so let me sort of rephrase the question. which power mod should i do next? i dont want an exhaust or intake thats gonna be temporary until i get the s/c i want to go ahead and start setting everything set up for my final vision. so what should i go with next to get me started on the road to super chargerdom!

PS thanks for the input fellas

SE_XRUNNER

Reaction score
well since i want the trd s/c i guess i should stick with trd all the way just so everything matches and i dont end up looking like i just threw some s**t together

05H0TWHEELS

Reaction score
yea some intakes wont work with the trd setup, so trd intake, ss, would be a nice start

SE_XRUNNER

Reaction score
i have the nst s/s but a trd intake would be nice... anyone else got any other opinions? what about that maf cal thingy? can i run that without an aftermarket intake? what kinds of things can i do with a maf cal? sorry if i sound like a doofus but im new to all of this special computer stuff that go on our trucks. all these maps and shit like that is like someone speaking swahili to me! thanks for the comments so far

Grumpy

Reaction score
Since you have TRD S/C in your cross hair, TRD or AFE intake is your best bet. Aesthetically pleasing with engineered function...plus you can use those nifty Coupe's intake cover - -> http://www.xr-underground.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=25361

What is your realistic budget for power mod? URD Maf Cal is a good tuning tool and relatively inexpensive at $249 - - > http://www.urdusa.com/product_info....=1260198051&osCsid=fe39kmmm12gr8r8er2ugl8gop0

But if your budget is a bit higher, APR X-1 is the way to go. Specifically engineered for our engine with advance feature & tuning capability. At $1,395 it isn't cheap but worth every penny - - > http://www.urdusa.com/product_info.php?cPath=66_72&products_id=1260518754

shaggy08xr

Reaction score
^^^^^
^Definently agree here I would save up and purchase the X-1 before doing anything else. Right off the bat with the x-1 u get about 40 hps more and it all goes up from there.

SE_XRUNNER

Reaction score
is the apr x1 compatable with the trd s/c? with the x1 at 1395 and the trd s/c at 3795 that brings the total to 5190 tax not included and the urd MKII is 5895 before tax so i believe ill be going with the trd/x1 setup if its compatable.
Grumpy: i gathered from your post that once i get the x1 the maf cal is not needed? or can these two be run together for more detailed tuning? thanks for those links also.

well since i dont have 5200 just sittin in my wallet i think ill be doing the mods such as intake and exhaust before i get the s/c since those mods are quite a bit cheaper. i want an exhaust tha has a deep note without rasp and i live in wa state so i also have to be able to pass emissions. which means i may not be able to run those dtlt's that most of you guys run and love so much.

thanks again for all the input fellas this helps tremendously. what about cosmetic mods? i really do like that tailgate spoiler ive seen. is that a toyota part or is it made by someone else?

Vince77

Reaction score
Intake and drop are must haves. A good exhaust is always a good idea. Magnaflow seems like the way to go. Don't forget about headers.

SE_XRUNNER

Reaction score
yeah i really do want the drop but i wanna go fast first so thats gonna wait. can anyone post a link or a couple of links to the best companies for drop kits, exhaust, and intakes. i know afe and trd intakes are 2 that are compatable with the trd s/c but are there any others that will work. what about the tcai?

Amarillo X

Reaction score
I vote for a drop closely followed by rims.:top: made the biggest diff on mine anyways. These things should have set lower from the factory!

SooRunner

Reaction score
I think you should sit down and blue print your truck.

Modding your truck is like climbing a ladder. Take one step at a time and think what is your next best step.

I say this cuz I learned off my old mistakes. Went supercharged on my miata, didn't like it, end up losing some money by selling the s/c, then went turbo and loved it. If I did it right the first time, I would of just bought the turbo kit and be happy with it.

Since your just beginning to mod the truck, I would go with a drop, intake or headers, clutch and/or flywheel, then supercharger. Not sure if the supercharger get in the way of the header install, say if you installed the s/c then bought the headers?

Just a thought for you!

Rat Rod

"Blade"
Reaction score
not to thread jack but in your mod list grumpy it says aproaching turn one ? is thaat like boost? or mariage? or x-1 ? or bsp ? or or or i dunno im pilled up for the night..........

jeffrey.f.tsai

Reaction score
is the apr x1 compatable with the trd s/c? with the x1 at 1395 and the trd s/c at 3795 that brings the total to 5190 tax not included and the urd MKII is 5895 before tax so i believe ill be going with the trd/x1 setup if its compatable.
Grumpy: i gathered from your post that once i get the x1 the maf cal is not needed? or can these two be run together for more detailed tuning? thanks for those links also.

well since i dont have 5200 just sittin in my wallet i think ill be doing the mods such as intake and exhaust before i get the s/c since those mods are quite a bit cheaper. i want an exhaust tha has a deep note without rasp and i live in wa state so i also have to be able to pass emissions. which means i may not be able to run those dtlt's that most of you guys run and love so much.

thanks again for all the input fellas this helps tremendously. what about cosmetic mods? i really do like that tailgate spoiler ive seen. is that a toyota part or is it made by someone else?

I plan on going TRD S/C in the future. These are just some modifications I've done to prepare fot it: TRD CAI, DTLT headers, URD y-pipe, URD 3 " cat back, dynomax turbo muffler, apr x-1. With the x-1 you won't need the MAF calibrator. The apr-x1 is definitely compatible with the TRD s/c.. you just need to download the correct MAP from the apr website and you can reprogram the x-1 yourself with a PC.. This also saves you the trouble of having the dealer reflash your ecu if you get the TRD S/C... I've seen the TRD S/C for 2750 on e-bay. You may want to forget the y-pipe and headers if you want to pass smog...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150394021409
I think some of the other members have bought from here without any problems.. you might want to ask around.. The URD MK II is more expensive, but the price includes the x-1...
The nice thing about the X-1 is that it'll give you 30-40 horsepower and increase your torque also right away without the S/C. If you do decide to put in the x-1, it should be installed before the S/C....

I think you can order a spoiler from the twisted creations website (look at the vendor link on your left). I just purchased the SS performance drop this week the the sittin sic website. There's currently a sale on this drop now. not as low as the DJM, but more performance based and a little more convenient for my driving style. URD is a vendor on this site you can get the intakes, exhaust, muffler, and x-1 from... HVM (also a vendor here) sells the x-1 as well.
hope this helps.:top:

Last edited:

SE_XRUNNER

Reaction score
hey man i appreciate that tip ^^^^^ ill be doing some thinking while im doing minor cosmetic mods (recessed grill mod, headlight/foglight tint, btlm, etc) ive been looking at turbos too so.... im still on the fence with which f/i set up i should go with.... thanks for all the help everyone you are all helping tremendously. :adore:

Top Bottom