Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Homelink Mounting Suggestions?

Edgeman

Reaction score
Bought a homelink for my 1985 automobile, and thought it might be worth installing one on the X too. Has anyone installed one? If so, where?

A homelink is just a "hard wired" universal remote control device. There are only two wires, power & ground, so it is about as simple to install as possible. Just looking for a suitable location, preferably somewhere I don't have to cut into my interior trim (or at least, minimal cutting).

TIA!

Coupe

Reaction score
Bought a homelink for my 1985 automobile, and thought it might be worth installing one on the X too. Has anyone installed one? If so, where?

A homelink is just a "hard wired" universal remote control device. There are only two wires, power & ground, so it is about as simple to install as possible. Just looking for a suitable location, preferably somewhere I don't have to cut into my interior trim (or at least, minimal cutting).

TIA!

I put mine in the mirror. Buy a Gentex, it is a simple install.

TitanRattler813

Reaction score
overhead console? :dontknow:

There's empty space up there and room to run wires through

EDIT: I would suggest what Coupe said but I assumed you meant a standalone device

Coupe

Reaction score
Here is a pic.

HPIM2467.jpg

It's a old pic. Do not take it seriously.

Last edited:

Edgeman

Reaction score

Thanks! I'll take a look at the Gentex mirrors. Sounds like the cleanest possible install.

Edgeman

Reaction score

What model Gentex mirror? How did you wire it? Googled "Gentex Mirror, Homelink, & Tacoma" and didn't get a single hit that included all three. Seems web retailers are only selling auto dimming mirrors without Homelink for 2005-2008 Tacomas.

The newer model Gentex auto dimming mirror with homelink (which isn't associated with Tacomas) also comes with temp & compass. Can you plug into the Tacoma "temperature sensor" wiring without having to run another (separate) wire to the nose of the vehicle, or are you stuck?

TIA!

Coupe

Reaction score
I would check out ebay. Ton of mirrors. I had good luck with this seller.

wembleysells
s.gif

The mirror is pretty much a universal fit. I wanted an amber display to match my gauges. That is a difficult find, since most are blue.

I did not opt for the temp gauge, but that is available.

HiTek21

Reaction score
Make sure you get a wedge mount mirror and not the cam lock style or you'll have to replace that little nub mount on the window.

I don't have the homelink but i did opt for a Auto Dimming with compass and temperature. I tried using the OEM toyota temp probe and when I hooked it up, it kept saying it was 107 degrees even though it was in the 60's. I thought I had it wired backwards but either way it kept saying 107 degrees. I'm using a Magna Donnelly mirror and not a gentex so that maybe why the probe didn't work, I think Gentex is OEM for Toyota. I ended up having to run the probe and wire that came with the kit but it works like a charm.

Edgeman

Reaction score
Make sure you get a wedge mount mirror and not the cam lock style or you'll have to replace that little nub mount on the window.

Do Gentex mirrors come with both (wedge & cam lock) mounts? If not, how can you tell which mount comes with that mirror? Haven't seen the mount listed with the mirrors being sold.

Thanks!

T0LLPHR33

"Catwoman"
Reaction score
Do Gentex mirrors come with both (wedge & cam lock) mounts? If not, how can you tell which mount comes with that mirror? Haven't seen the mount listed with the mirrors being sold.

Thanks!

i believe our rear view mirror uses a wedge lock...:top:

i'm sure when you order your gentex you can specify what type of mount you are using...that's what I did when I ordered mines...:smile:

HiTek21

Reaction score

Thanks!

I'm sure Gentex has both but majority use wedge mount style. They'll usually say somewhere on the site or in the product description.

http://www.amazon.com/Gentex-GENK51..._2?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1267136322&sr=8-2
This one is a wedge mount and has all the bells and whistles.

Edgeman

Reaction score

reckless-x

Reaction score
i got one outta a totaled prius it had auto dim with homelink mirror cause i have the overhead console temp and comp from the trd taco and just wired it all together.

Edgeman

Reaction score
FedEx's 1st attempt to deliver the mirror missed me yesterday (darn work!). Attempting to swing by after work today to pick it up at their office...wish me luck!

Edgeman

Reaction score
Success, although it was a bear to find their office. Darn company doesn't even list it on their website.

Top Bottom