Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Hooray I put the Cam gears in Wrong.

dcaff05XR

Reaction score
Anyone know a good place in NJ to have the cam gears installed. Will a dealer do it.
The Directions say everything should line up but my truck did not. Even after turning the crank over 100 times.
We were able to line up the yellow and orange with the correct timing marks but the stock cam gear dot did not line up with them. So we put in the new ones the way the old ones came out.

Am fairly certain all sensors plugs and hoses are connected. I just put the valve covers and intake manifold back on this morning. connected everything fired it up and it idles and runs fine. But it will not rev past 1600 rpms!

butters607

Reaction score
Anyone know a good place in NJ to have the cam gears installed. Will a dealer do it.
The Directions say everything should line up but my truck did not. Even after turning the crank over 100 times.
We were able to line up the yellow and orange with the correct timing marks but the stock cam gear dot did not line up with them. So we put in the new ones the way the old ones came out.

Am fairly certain all sensors plugs and hoses are connected. I just put the valve covers and intake manifold back on this morning. connected everything fired it up and it idles and runs fine. But it will not rev past 1600 rpms!

stop do not start it until u get it fixed. now you're gonna have to have them installed in your truck is gonna have to be retimed don't drive your truck anywhere

dcaff05XR

Reaction score
can't go anywhere man not with 1600rpms

what gets me is stock everything lined up the yellow and orange marks and the timing marks on the exhaust cam and VVT actuator. But the stock cam gear dot didnt line up with the yellow no matter how many times we spun it.

Last edited:

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
Butters is right. Do not run that engine until you are 100% positive you have the cam gears installed correctly. If they are not you WILL be rebuilding or replacing that engine.

Murderface

Reaction score
Too bad u live so much further north then me, I coulda gave u a hand since I did mine with no issues and I'm mechanically inclined to say the least:laugh:.

So what town in North Jersey are u located anyways?

Gadget

Reaction score
I offered to help you by phone.

Did not hear from you......

Are you getting a check engine light?

G

dcaff05XR

Reaction score
I live in Union 15 minutes from Newark. Yea got a check engine light , it idles fine but wont go past 1600rpms

dcaff05XR

Reaction score
I'm mechanically inclined i guess this was too much for me. I've put in the DTLT's the X1 cpu the thermostat the urd 3in. exhaust, the urd short throw. replaced the whole carpet, clazzios ect. I'm just gonna tow it somewhere. f*ck it.

sure how do i pull it?

Last edited:

butters607

Reaction score
I'm mechanically inclined i guess this was too much for me. I've put in the DTLT's the X1 cpu the thermostat the urd 3in. exhaust, the urd short throw. replaced the whole carpet, clazzios ect. I'm just gonna tow it somewhere. f*ck it.

sure how do i pull it?

um you have to have a scan tool since the garage is gonna be getting it just let them pull it it will help them see whats wrong and they will know exactly what to do!

Xacto

Reaction score
Focus on the indents and notches on the cam action rather than the colored straps. Align the "0" mark on the crank shaft pulley with the arrow or "timing mark". This should have the cam gears pointing up at the correct mark and the rest of the marks should be aligned. If not, just turn the pulley another 360 degrees so that its aligned with the arrow again and this should have it all set up.

If your timing is off, say by a tooth, this is what it would look like:

2010-04-22111111.jpg

And Here, notice the alignment of the rear action "notch" and how it is in between or 'straddled' by the foreground two indents. No colored straps, but it is aligned.

DriverSide2-1.jpg

Gadget

Reaction score
You might have done the install right, but left something unplugged.

Scan the code. That might lead you to what is wrong.

Not being able to get over 1500 means it is in limp mode.

You can have the exhaust cams out of time and not put it into limp mode.

Let's hope it is something real simple like one connector left unplugged.

G

dcaff05XR

Reaction score
thanks i'm gonna double and triple check everything. When everything was being lined up the stock cam gear was of by 4 threads from the timing marks/yellow link. I put the cam gears in like the stock came out off by 4 teeth. Is exacto telling me that the cam gear simply needs to go in with the dot facing 12 oclock?

butters607

Reaction score
thanks i'm gonna double and triple check everything. When everything was being lined up the stock cam gear was of by 4 threads from the timing marks/yellow link. I put the cam gears in like the stock came out off by 4 teeth. Is exacto telling me that the cam gear simply needs to go in with the dot facing 12 oclock?

yes all four colors should line up on top and be center of that mark in the rear of the pic and also the marks on the gear and that thing in front of the gear should also be lined up perfect if i remember right your dot when its all lined up on the apr cam gear will be a little right of center im pretty darn sure

dcaff05XR

Reaction score
I'm gonna do the timing by putting the crank on the 0 timing mark. Whatever links line up with the timing marks above have to be the correct ones weather there blue purple or pink right.

dcaff05XR

Reaction score
Is there more threads on the new cam gear then the old one?

Everything was lined up. The yellow and orange links lined up with the timing marks and marks on the VVT actuators. The only thing that did not line up was the dot on the stock cam gear itself. It was 4 links to the right of the timing marks. To compensated for this we put in the new cam gears with the dot 4 links to the right of the timing mark. Now they are in 4 links to the right of the timing mark. What should i do next?

Last edited:

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
Is there more threads on the new cam gear then the old one?

Everything was lined up. The yellow and orange links lined up with the timing marks and marks on the VVT actuators. The only thing that did not line up was the dot on the stock cam gear itself. It was 4 links to the right of the timing marks. To compensated for this we put in the new cam gears with the dot 4 links to the right of the timing mark. Now they are in 4 links to the right of the timing mark. What should i do next?

Not start it and take some pics to show us how you have it installed. It is VERY VERY important you get the gears in crrectly

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
engine apart. going to try it again

call up Gadget at URD. Tel: (877) 887-3872 ext 3 for tech support. He will be more than happy to walk you through the install to ensure you get them in correctly. :top:

Top Bottom