Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

How long do spark plugs last?

Xtacy

Reaction score
Denso iridium IKH22 in particular...think I changed them out at 40k, I'm now at 100k

Gadget

Reaction score
The Denso Irdium plugs last a very long time.

The electrodes do not erode like other spark plugs so the gap stays very consistent.

This is just off the top of my head, but based on a long talk I had with the Denso rep the Power plugs are advertised to last for something like 30,000 or 50,000 miles. The power plug has a very thin center electrode.

They have another version called the Long Life plug that is advertised to last for something like 90,000 miles. The center electrode is slightly thicker.

Now here is the real deal. That is all about marketing and an attempt to capture OEM contracts. You will get the same life out of both plugs unless you damage them with knock or something.

You can pull the plugs, check the gap, if needed regap them and return them to service if they are working properly and are not damaged.

Now when you adjust the gap, do it correctly, use a wire type feeler gauge and a proper gap adjustment tool. Do not use a coin type feeler and don't pry off the center electrode with a screw driver. If you do not have the proper tools or knowledge, just install a brand new plug.

The Denso Power Iridium plug is a super nice spark plug. We do ship a lot of them out the door at URD, but the down side for us is that you don't need to keep rebuying them.

G

Xtacy

Reaction score
Thanks G, I'll prob change them out in another 10k

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Which ones? The Denso side or the NGK side? I believe that the Denso side plugs are IKH 20's.

butters607

Reaction score
If you are reffering to the ikh20's I have a set with maybe 5 k on them

MplsX

Reaction score
My owners manual says to change plugs at 30K

scareurpasenger

Reaction score
Less than that depending on the mixture. If you are running too rich or lean the coppers won't last long.

X-FREAK

Reaction score
I've seen the stock plugs go bad at 20K, but the engine was designed to run on copper plugs idk how i'd feel about switching to iridium but I dont know a whole lot about the subject

roy365

Reaction score
What's the deal with "coin type" gap checkers? That's what I use and have never had any issues.

Murderface

Reaction score
What's the deal with "coin type" gap checkers? That's what I use and have never had any issues.

If u use those for iridium plugs u will scrape off the iridium on the tip when u slide the gapper. Coin type is fine for copper plugs

roy365

Reaction score
If u use those for iridium plugs u will scrape off the iridium on the tip when u slide the gapper. Coin type is fine for copper plugs

I typically use copper plugs for my rides, however I did use my coin type when I changed my wife's plugs (iridium) recently. No issues that I feel.

Wouldn't you scrape, or damage the iridium if you had to re-gap an iridium plug anyway? Seems like the pressure and multiple checking/adjusting of the gap would do the same. :dontknow:

I try to always be careful when I gap any plug, now I will be extra careful. Oh well....I guess it won't hurt to go get a new gap checker, they aren't too pricey.

scoutdeed69

Reaction score
well i had my stock one's in at 40,000 miles and no problems...but i did put my kit in at 40,000!

Rob

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Iridium style plugs, Denso in this case, instruct not to touch the Iridium electrode. That it will contaminate and or damage it. Some feeler gauges and a steady pressure will get them gapped to where you need them. Usually, they are in a close enough gap already. Checking never hurts though.

Top Bottom