Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

How to install the overhead console w/temp and compass

Reaction score
Hello guys I am requesting for some of your knowledge on how to and what to on this Mod I want to install the temp/compass and wondered if any of you know the harness I need to get for this mod and or the proper way to do it Thanks in advance.

Edgeman

Reaction score
If your 09 is anything like the 05-08 X-Runners, your truck already has the wiring harness installed. All you need is an overhead console with the compass & temp, and an inexpensive thermister you can pick up from your local Toyota dealer for <$20 (Think I paid ~$18 (item + taxes) last week).

The thermister harness should be connected to your horn's harness, tied up high in front of the radiator. Once installed, it plugs into one of the holes in the center support bar in front of the radiator. Majority of your time will be spent getting access to the harness. Take your time because you don't want to damage it. I removed both horns, and the metal plate that goes around the hood latch to access it. Think I spent ~15 minutes on this task.

As for the console, open the back (sunglasses) compartment & remove the screw. Once that's out, pull the front of the console down to detach it, & unplug both of the harness connectors. Do everything in reverse to reinstall. This job should take 5 minutes - max!

Don't be surprised if the readings look off the 1st day. My temperature read ~20 degrees high the first day, and the compass was significantly off. The 2nd day the temp was within a couple degrees, and the compass appeared correct.

x20Runner05

Reaction score

car15

Reaction score
On my 09 I did not have to buy anything. The compass/temp console plugged right in. You do have to do a calibration of the compass.

x20Runner05

Reaction score
On my 09 I did not have to buy anything. The compass/temp console plugged right in. You do have to do a calibration of the compass.
You still need to get the temp/compass console from somewhere. The plus are all there yes. But you still need to get the temp/compass console from somewhere and buy the thermistor.

Edgeman

Reaction score
I acquired the compass/temp module and installed it into my console so in reality you do not need the entire compass/temp console but just the module. As far as the thermistor, nope I did not have to buy it, my 09 had it already installed from the factory.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...stall-overhead-compass-temperature-gauge.html

Actually looking at that tacomaworld thread, thinking about modding the sunglasses compartment to hold a Homelink transmitter. Hummm.....

mbray

Reaction score
IMPORTANT FOR 05-08 and 09+

Something to take note of with the 09+ is the wiring is slightly different.

05-08 have the thermistor dedicated only to the console (using 2 wires)

09+ share the use of the thermistor for the new A/C system. Which sends a PWM signal to the one wire in the console. Hence why the 09's have only one wire for temp.

So if you have a 09+ you have to buy the 09+ console. 05-08 You have to buy 05-08 Console. Otherwise it will not work! The wiring is different and will not work properly unless you buy a second thermistor (It will show random temps)

gsxrdoug

Reaction score
Ok so I didn't read the whole webpage well enough and bought the display but that is all you get, does anyone know where I can get the rest of the overhead console or the cover for the display I don't think I want a big opening. Thanks Doug

Top Bottom