Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Huge power loss. Help please

Venomous_X

Reaction score
Well we have a new video to look forward to when you sell it!....:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

they both remove the cats :top:
Well I know that LOL, but I was under the impression you gutting your own cats was worse than changing the piping...LOL Its been a hot few days, I aint thinking yet :frown:

Last edited:

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
Well we have a new video to look forward to when you sell it!....:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Well I know that LOL, but I was under the impression you gutting your own cats was worse than changing the piping...LOL Its been a hot few days, I aint thinking yet :frown:

if you gut them it still looks like you have cats installed. they are just hollow shells though
I said screw it and went DTLT and URD y pipe :top:

s/chargedxrunner06

Toyota Master Tech
Reaction score
Hell I see you have DTLTs so your front cats are already gone, so I would just gut the rear cats and put a new pipe bomb or muffler on it would be the cheapest way.

CorollaJ2005

Reaction score
This was happening to me too. Turns out my bearing/seal on the tail shaft of the trans was bad and I didn't have any trans fluid. If you are manual, look under your truck and see if you have any leakage.

s/chargedxrunner06

Toyota Master Tech
Reaction score
no cel's

what i dont get is why it only happens so rarely:dontknow:
Werty believe me I had one about 8 months ago 4.7 S/C Tundra with the same problem at first it came and went and then finally did it all the time, if your boost is going higher than normal that is caused by excess back pressure in the exhaust

Super Werty

Reaction score
This was happening to me too. Turns out my bearing/seal on the tail shaft of the trans was bad and I didn't have any trans fluid. If you are manual, look under your truck and see if you have any leakage.

its an auto, and I dont think that kind of problem would make the exhuast stink, and cause afr to richen up and boost to go up prematurely

RossK35

Reaction score
Instead of spending a lot of money on that pipe bomb why not just get some high flow cats from magnaflow or somewhere? It would be a whole lot cheaper.

Yotaman

"Shortbus"
Reaction score
Maybe you have a bad hampster in ur S/C...:dontknow::biggrin:

Sux to see you having this problem, hopefully Jim will help you diagnose the problem.

Super Werty

Reaction score
I suppose I could buy new cats and have them welded in, but whats going to prevent this from happening again

and besides the pipebomb is 300 and new cats plus labor would be fairly close to that...would it not?

s/chargedxrunner06

Toyota Master Tech
Reaction score
I suppose I could buy new cats and have them welded in, but whats going to prevent this from happening again

and besides the pipebomb is 300 and new cats plus labor would be fairly close to that...would it not?
There is no sense in installing 2 new rear cats if you have DTLTs because the front are already gone anyway.

Super Werty

Reaction score
True, guess Im going with the pipe bomb...I hope that solves the problem

KETCHUP

Reaction score
I would think CATS......

I could be wrong......but Ive heard that it is a common problem with cats going bad when you get the DTLT..... Like I said, I could be wrong.:dontknow:

Last edited:

BlackCat

Reaction score
Well, if you're game for more "under-the-truck" time, jack up the truck and yank the stock Y pipe off, stand it on end and shake vigorously and see what comes out. Maybe that'll answer the Cat issue... dunno... ?

Ratrod25

Reaction score
I know toyota has like a fail safe that only open the throttle part way just enought to get you off the road, but that wouldnt explain the egg smell, but check for codes any way it could just be a pending code an not turn on the cel

Vince77

Reaction score
That sucks man. But on the bright side, you get to do some modding to fix it. :top:

rat7761

Reaction score
Sounds like clogged converters. An easy test is have someone put their hand by the tail pipe while you rev the motor up. You'll be able to tell if there's a restriction in the exhaust.

Super Werty

Reaction score
Well, if you're game for more "under-the-truck" time, jack up the truck and yank the stock Y pipe off, stand it on end and shake vigorously and see what comes out. Maybe that'll answer the Cat issue... dunno... ?

tried that in my other thread from a few months back

"y pipe sounds like sand"

basically, turned it over and over and nothing came out, but it sounds like sand i the pipe pouring out:laugh: its like a sick sick joke:laugh::motz:

Im going to buy the pipe bomb

reasons.....it should fix this, dont want to gut cats and be louder, p-bomb will at least be close to what it sounds like now but flow better:top:

thanks for all the help guys! and thanks s/chargedxrunner06 for the help/call

Top Bottom