Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

I changed my dash lights, now what?

Ruffryder

Reaction score
So does anybody have any info on changing the rest of the interior lights? I am mostly refering to the steering wheel controls, window button and foglight button. I know the HVAC controls aren't so easy, but shouldn't the other ones just be LEDS too?

stretch200

Reaction score
I don't know. I haven't figured those ones out. The HVAC actually has white lights but an orange coating on the inside of all the buttons. Gay. I think red LEDs would work there but pretty much any other color wouldn't. Unless you can somehow get the orange coating off. Which isn't as easy as it sounds.

07xrunner

Reaction score
I don't know. I haven't figured those ones out. The HVAC actually has white lights but an orange coating on the inside of all the buttons. Gay. I think red LEDs would work there but pretty much any other color wouldn't. Unless you can somehow get the orange coating off. Which isn't as easy as it sounds.
a little sandpaper should take it off nicely

Ruffryder

Reaction score
I was actually thinking both of those things for there. Red would probably be the only color that would show through, and sanding is something similiar to a ford emblem mod I did on my Ranger years back (changed the blue oval to white). Still leaves the switches. Any idea how hard they are to remove?

stretch200

Reaction score
a little sandpaper should take it off nicely

yea, I tried that. It's a lot harder than I thought. You have to cram the sandpaper in a tiny space and I DID sand one spot a lot. It didn't have any effect. :thumpdown:

stretch200

Reaction score
I was actually thinking both of those things for there. Red would probably be the only color that would show through, and sanding is something similiar to a ford emblem mod I did on my Ranger years back (changed the blue oval to white). Still leaves the switches. Any idea how hard they are to remove?

Probably not that hard. I'll figure it out. Just give me some time. I might be able to check it out during the week

07xrunner

Reaction score
yea, I tried that. It's a lot harder than I thought. You have to cram the sandpaper in a tiny space and I DID sand one spot a lot. It didn't have any effect. :thumpdown:
eehhh thats how i did it on my ranger guess the yotas a bit tuffer huh :rock:

Ruffryder

Reaction score
Well I got the switches and steering buttons figured out, they were pretty much straight forward. I had some leds i had bought by mistake to do my dash and I needed 2 of them, one for the fog light switch and one for the window switch. The steering wheel took the same surface mount leds as the dash, 3 total.

I also got a firsthand look at the AC panel, and that seems a PITA and not worth it! Sanding looks to be very difficult and I don't think the results would be up to par. I am going to look into coloring the bulbs red (paint, rubber covers)

Stevenredx

Reaction score
Well I got the switches and steering buttons figured out, they were pretty much straight forward. I had some leds i had bought by mistake to do my dash and I needed 2 of them, one for the fog light switch and one for the window switch. The steering wheel took the same surface mount leds as the dash, 3 total.

I also got a firsthand look at the AC panel, and that seems a PITA and not worth it! Sanding looks to be very difficult and I don't think the results would be up to par. I am going to look into coloring the bulbs red (paint, rubber covers)

Pics? :hmmmm2:

stretch200

Reaction score

oh cool. I didn't think it'd be that easy. haha! Well you should do a write-up on it. If you don't want to or didn't take pictures, don't sweat it. I'll do a write-up when I do it.

MistaGXR06

Reaction score
Would it be worth molding a new a/c control unit with your choice of a color to match the dash? Meaning mold new face and have what used to be painted amber painted blue? or white? or whatever color you want so that it matches your interior.

rexrunner

Reaction score
is it too tight to get a small dremel bit in there to grind down the plastic? is it just an orange coating, or a orange molded plastic?

Stevenredx

Reaction score
A dremel wouldn't work... i took mine apart and i really didn't see any way of changing the color of the a/c controls. If someone comes up with a way please let me know :top:

Top Bottom