Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

i give up on headlight mod

davesX

Reaction score
so this is second time I have tried bhlm, just cant seem to get them to seal up. this last time only one got moisture, and not that bad it just fogs up.. so if anyone has a nice clean set of headlights that are bhlm and NO LEAKS for sale let me know.. I would prefer that the reflectors be left in and not be painted over...

chatt x

Reaction score
Babyboi2284. Send him a PM. He did a set for me and I've had zero problems

TommyXrunner

Reaction score
man i've been putting off doing my headlights cause i'm scared of screwing them up too. especially since they're brand new

justin13703

Reaction score
It's not bad. The trick is when you go to put them back together, after you take them out of the oven put a bead of silicone in the valley where the factory sealant was. Then put the two halves together and make sure all the little clips are snapped together. Then after it was together I ran another small bead around the joint and smoothed it out so it was hard to see. I haven't had a leak in over 2 years

06 xrunner

Reaction score
I was thinking of doing my stock ones too at some point with maybe a set of mirimoto projectors but don't want them to fog up at all
I didn't have a problem when I did the BTLM tho

Judas

Reaction score
Whats "btlm" and "bhlm"?
I'm assuming this about retrofitting headlights.
Out of curiousity, wouldn't it be cheaper an easier to just get replacement headlights that look the way you want?
But where's the fun in that right?!

gunner76137

Reaction score
Ive done several BHLM's for me and others.
Ive only had two that have fogged up and I just took and ran a thin layer of clear silicone around the edge and wiped the edge made it good and smooth and it has taken care of the problem.
If you do it right you don't even know its been done.
Those on craigs list look like crap their not even both the same color if you look real close. 1 is black the other is grey looking
like the already blacked out after market ones.

justin13703

Reaction score
Whats "btlm" and "bhlm"?
I'm assuming this about retrofitting headlights.
Out of curiousity, wouldn't it be cheaper an easier to just get replacement headlights that look the way you want?
But where's the fun in that right?!

The aftermarket "stock look" ones that already have the inside black always leak anyway. Plus they're lower quality than the stock headlights. So you might as well save some money and do it yourself. And yes, it is fun trying to explain to your old lady why your headlights are baking in the oven

davesX

Reaction score
lol yea my wife told me I couldn't use the oven anymore..haha

rennurx

Reaction score
I had those and like them for like a week until they kept falling off and someone stepped on one and broke it

X-MOKED U

Reaction score
I had those and like them for like a week until they kept falling off and someone stepped on one and broke it

If that happens with mine I might try some 3m double sided tape

those would look sweet on a bsp! have to be illegal though....

So much illegal shit on/in my truck that's the least of my worries and with the lights on theu look normal

TommyXrunner

Reaction score
i used 3m double sided tape to hold the small body kit piece where the exhaust tip comes out of. amazing stuff!

Outburst

Reaction score
man dont worry about getting a new set.

grab some black butyl tape. put it around where it seals. you'll have to rebake the headlight to put the butyl tape where the channel sits, but it works WONDERS.

ive done 3 bhlm and 2 retrofits. the last two times i've used butyl tape. sometimes the stock sealant doesn't sit well after being baked. this will solve your problem!

So. the steps i took were

1) bake the headlights. seperate the housing and plastic lens.
2) put butyl tape into the channels of the housing. you can put as much as you want but the more you put on, the harder it is to snap together.
3) rebake the headlight.
4) push as hard as you can snapping the plastic lens and housing together!
5) use clamps and let them cool off for at least 30 minutes! let that butyl tape set!

Top Bottom